Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

On 28/06/2021 at 07:14, Limpley Stoker said:

Indeed excellent pics and a very useful view of the yard crane showing cross bracing and lack of gearing so I vote for 1 ton crane.

This Plan is from the book The Cameroon Branch, Maggs and Beale. Wild Swan

The jib is much more curved than the Limpley Stoke crane and indeed Princetown and there  intermediate gearing.

8566B557-E76B-422B-9250-E5FD1997B746.jpeg

Interesting that this drawing gives a maximum vertical height of 12'6" (50mm in 1:76 scale) Yet the models of similar cranes available, such as Ratio 531 Yard Crane scales up to nearly 17'0". The Peco yard crane with the straight jib on a round base is around 28' to the top pulley. 

Of greater concern is the size of the gear teeth, they would be absolutely massive if scaled up 1:1. (Hence my Lego technic comments on another thread.) The gears on the Ratio crane are also about 7' in diameter, that drawing suggests 4'.

Any ideas where dimensioned  drawings of assorted GWR cranes can be found?

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

About 24 feet to the top of the pulley, gives us 96mm.  That certainly wouldn't look overpowering given the prototypical capacity of the crane.

I also like the modified crane on the "Woodstowe" layout thread (Page 1.)

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Interesting that this drawing gives a maximum vertical height of 12'6" (50mm in 1:76 scale) Yet the models of similar cranes available, such as Ratio 531 Yard Crane scales up to nearly 17'0". The Peco yard crane with the straight jib on a round base is around 28' to the top pulley. 

Of greater concern is the size of the gear teeth, they would be absolutely massive if scaled up 1:1. (Hence my Lego technic comments on another thread.) The gears on the Ratio crane are also about 7' in diameter, that drawing suggests 4'.

Any ideas where dimensioned  drawings of assorted GWR cranes can be found?

Most available kits seem to be overscale, not sure why. 

There are various crane drawings in GWRJ, will have a look this evening.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Not sure if this is of use, Rob. 

Courtesy of Wild Swan. 

Rob. 

• RMweb Gold

And I have just read back through the thread and noted Limpet Stroker has already posted it........

Note to self, do try and keep up. 

Rob. 

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, MrWolf said:

image.png.0080635dbaeb7f4b478696a2e810a0ca.png.acb94e17cdc6332de47a236bad9db7ba.png

A word best described as multifunctional but used appropriately can avoid much in the way of doubt. 

• Agree 7

• RMweb Gold

GWR cranes in Great Western Railway Journal. This is based on a search in the invaluable GWRJ index, after which I looked up the drawings/photos in my mags and made a few additional notes.

2 Tons Fixed hand Warehouse Crane
Issue 21 (1997)  p.276
Drawing No L 12030 Dated Feb 1895

(this looks identical to the one posted above, but is the actual GWR drawing and includes view of lower section from operating end)

3 Ton Fixed Hand Crane
Issue 29 (1999)  p.300
Drawing No. 49366 Dated September 1913

(long jib similar to Peco kit, but gears/housing different).

6 Ton Yard Crane
Issue 0 (1991) p.48
Photo and drawings of the 6 ton yard crane

(photo only, but a good one, though only one side. Arch Laser do this for 2mm and 4mm)

Aldermaston 2 Ton Crane
Issue 71 (2009)  p.376
Dimensioned drawing dated 11-11-1927

(timber, for interior fitting)

Four Fixed Hand Cranes
Issue 36 (2000) p.229/230
Four drawings covering 3 & 6 Ton and 2 & 12 Ton

(These are different styles from the ones above, except the 2-tonner which looks the same)

Drawing 30 cwt fixed hand crane
Issue 40 (2001) p.460

Stated to be for Lye Drawing No L13069 dated June 1896
(identical design to the larger 2 tonners, but smaller (10'9" radius compared to 12' radius for the 2 tonner) 

(also in same issue three photos of what is captioned as 30 cwt platform mounted crane at Park Royal in 1936)

Mr Wolf, see PM.

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Premium
On 27/06/2021 at 18:34, Stubby47 said:

That is a very small turntable, and the whole siding looks difficult to shunt, unless the loco uses the shed to reverse.

On 27/06/2021 at 21:51, Fishplate said:

Noted the previous edition of the map the siding finished at the turntable and there wasn't track beyond it (to the right in the photo) .

There is a similar turntable shown on an odd siding on the Princetown Branch on the 1905 map at Yelverton https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/252099/67272/12/100604.

Just a very wild guess as I know nothing about pre-Grouping GWR operations. . . .Could they have turned guards brakes on the branch?  Would seem an odd practice though?

The turntables mentioned in these posts are for turning the tank engine used on snow ploughing duties.

• Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium

I thought @MrWolf thread is probably the right place to air this Emergency Alert Message just received from an operative only known as “Airfix”:

++++ Message to all Bus Operators, sources anticipating increase in Stuka activity in many areas. Operators are to take necessary precautions and avoid loitering near railway bridges. STOP ++++

Buses, you have been warned!

667A95CE-C65C-4F3C-961D-C687C3A15CD8.jpeg.c17fce723e90e38e1590655f0c6be4a4.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Funny 4

By chance, there's a post by John Chivers on the GWR modellers Facebook group today about the installation of a crane in a model goods shed based on Princetown. 

On the subject of Airfix Stukas, who remembers their original kit of the type? Made the Triang Princess look fine scale.

Alex

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 29/06/2021 at 17:28, wiggoforgold said:

By chance, there's a post by John Chivers on the GWR modellers Facebook group today about the installation of a crane in a model goods shed based on Princetown. 

This is one of the few times that I wish I had a Facebook account. :)

On 29/06/2021 at 17:28, wiggoforgold said:

On the subject of Airfix Stukas, who remembers their original kit of the type? Made the Triang Princess look fine scale.

Alex

IIRC it was one of the first kits I ever had, it would have been made in the 70s but may have been the original Series 1 type, a silvery plastic, packed in a poly bag with a header card and cost 40p. The "new" kits on the rotating rack in our village shop were 50p!

Aston's resident bus discourager is the new and improved Series 2 from 1978.

IMG_20210630_182240.jpg.f312d3ebabe2c33b129b66c352c598c4.jpg

• Like 7

In related news, word is filtering through to Firkham Hall that England has just beaten Germany for the first time in decades - without having to drag the Americans into the scrap!

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

Lunchtime today and I had about half an hour before visiting a customer, so I had a look in a secondhand shop that occasionally turns up something interesting.

I scored these two for the asking price of £4 each. Boxed and as good as new.

I'd call it a result. I can put up with the awful brake gear at that price!

IMG_20210630_191725.jpg.1b29b57cdc545471863de63f41e51f08.jpg

• Like 15

On 29/06/2021 at 19:37, Mick Bonwick said:

I didn't know that Germany played cricket.

Cricket.

That'ssomething else that we invented then became steadily less proficient at.

Rather like railways.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, MrWolf said:

the original Series 1 type, a silvery plastic, packed in a poly bag with a header card and cost 40p.

HOW MUCH?????

When I were a lad, the proper price for Airfix Series 1 kits was 2/-.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Remembering the old joke— two old ladies overheard on the bus just after decimalisation “ This new money is awful, you would have thought they could  have waited for all us old people to die off before bringing it in”

I was very pleased with my Airfix spitfire kit from the first batch, only about seven bits to glue together!

Edited by Limpley Stoker
Typo. And I can’t remember what it cost!
  • Like 3
  • Funny 3