Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Sorry if I'm missing something, but TBT died in April last year, so what's the significance of this latest string of posts?

Oops.  I had completely missed that news a year ago!  Seems that I really don't have a clue...

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Oops.  I had completely missed that news a year ago!  Seems that I really don't have a clue...

News is slow to reach some parts.

By the way, has the Titanic reached New York yet ?

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

News is slow to reach some parts.

By the way, has the Titanic reached New York yet ?

Not sure: but I think some of its passengers had to disembark.

Onto the Lousitania.

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Bog shed update.

IMG_20210528_233417.jpg.e0941e94b6c2e0aaede84b88689a3b7c.jpg

IMG_20210528_233504.jpg.5ef9c2d9519f1737e18dfb851b550a46.jpg

IMG_20210528_233521.jpg.daa442008d8b03c0920528a8b692fde9.jpg

Apologies for the iffy photos. I need to get the hammer recalibrated.

brilliant, absolutely brilliant! :good:

Are you planning to put a butcher’s hook on the wall to hang the squares of newspaper*

*When I was a young lad my grandad told me they used to have an outdoor privy and used newspaper that was hung on a hook

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 3

Experience tells me that you would have your own stash of toilet paper and if asked, you have run out. For loaned toilet paper never returns. 

Same applies if you forget and leave it in the lav.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

All this talk of outside bogs, sinks etc, the GWR must have been very lavish with their provisions for branch line signalmen - on the LSWR the bobby would just have to use the station facilities. (Though I presume stuff would be provided in the more out of the way boxes)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Alister_G said:

It looks pretty damn good to me.

However, there is one glaring omission in your signalbox. How is the poor bloke supposed to make himself a brew without one of these?

ratio-sb-int1.jpg.73788ea282922fe97d6bc443051d9e40.jpg

A water supply?

Oh and of course, the necessary appurtenances:

tea-set002.jpg.57d78a886a47879d2b483a802177fbbc.jpg

Al.

Very nice bit of modelling / obsessive compulsive disorder!

I do think that running water, let alone a sink is a bit nouveau riche for Aston's signal box. There's running water in the station toilets and a drinking water standpipe on the platform. That's it.

The bog shed would just be an Elsan chemical toilet as in air raid shelters and that's it. 

Mains electricity arrived in the village in 1933, although the hall had a New Pelapone generator and lighting set before WWI. The station remained oil lit to the end, very little of it was used after passenger services ceased in 1951.

I might put a billy can on the stove, but I suspect that all the details will be invisible anyway! :D

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Very nice bit of modelling / obsessive compulsive disorder!

Thanks, it all came about as a result of a discussion with Lee Robinson and Eric Sainte, both of whom are far better modellers than I, over how much internal detail to incorporate in our various models, and I admit we were daring each other to come up with evermore impossible items to add. It started with filing cabinets, and went from there to potted plants, and from there to Queen Anne chairs and tea trays. This was the eventual outcome: the ticket office in Bakewell Station:

the-office004.jpg.418e59ca0e1ba90824981b00069f1a37.jpg

and the Ladies waiting room:

waiting-room-001.jpg.0ee9cb268f387c5e30c414f0ffc145ea.jpg

Anyway, sorry, taking over your thread again.

Al

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Experience tells me that you would have your own stash of toilet paper and if asked, you have run out. For loaned toilet paper never returns. 

Probably just my grandad being too tight to buy loo roll then? :lol:

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

When I was little we lived in a terrace row of cottages across the river from the GWR lines. There was a big fuss at one time because the drains had been blocked. The cause was found to be glossy paper from a magazine. No one would own up to having a glossy magazine mostly it was pieces of the daily mirror.

Don 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Those miniature interiors are truly inspired / totally insane.

did give serious thought to fitting interiors to my station building when I first started to build it. But now that the roof is on you can't see a thing inside. 

IMG_20210529_233033.jpg.9fe0d84d88a78d09262dd2276829b7b2.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Picture no attach!
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

I meant to illustrate a couple of random things that I mentioned earlier, it helps to make a model I find if you research what you can't see, to round out the picture if that makes sense? 

The new in 1913 electric generator for Aston Hall:

New_Pelapone_Engine_Co_1922PE.jpg.7feb7da712ed572b6978e9fe7ca34ef7.jpg

The Pelapone name comes from Pritchard Electric Lighting And Power, Our New Engine.

I do know some useless information. That one never comes up in a pub quiz!

An Elsan chemical toilet, designed presumably for Kemikhazi attacks?

p_whennaturecalls1.jpg.4df3d4b758858d4d94800d2fd31cdb24.jpg

Pre-WW2-Elsan-Chemical-Toilet.jpg.e191b09d23ec0d0c49ea480b11ad0f34.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Remembered something ridiculous
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Is it me, or is there something slightly wrong with the concept of recycled toilet paper?

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Those miniature interiors are truly inspired / totally insane.

did give serious thought to fitting interiors to my station building when I first started to build it. But now that the roof is on you can't see a thing inside. 

I had a great deal of thought with regards to an interior for the SB on Bovey Tor.

My reasons for not building one are: It would take about 2 months to scratch build roof trusses, individual floor boards, tables, chairs, stoves etc. And then kit bashing a brass kit. I am not planning on installing any lighting in any buildings. As the type of light is set by the back scene, therefore how much of it would be actually be visible through the windows. And if the only way to view it was to remove the roof, how could you lift said roof without damaging vents, guttering, pipes and finials?

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

If you enjoy building an interior like that there is nothing insane in doing it. This is a hobby for pleasure. The insane bit would be building interiors which you didn't enjoy doing just because others have done them.

My view is if you only have space for a limited number of buildings but enjoy making them going to town on interiors may give you more opportunity to do something you enjoy. 

If on the other hand you would rather be building locos or running trains interiors will not be missed.

Don

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold

In my case, the windows of the station building were so large that not to provide an interior would have compromised later photographs of the model. I did also provide internal illumination.

Al.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

39 minutes ago, Donw said:

If you enjoy building an interior like that there is nothing insane in doing it. This is a hobby for pleasure. The insane bit would be building interiors which you didn't enjoy doing just because others have done them.

My view is if you only have space for a limited number of buildings but enjoy making them going to town on interiors may give you more opportunity to do something you enjoy. 

If on the other hand you would rather be building locos or running trains interiors will not be missed.

Don

I think it should be pointed out that whilst I think that a lot of what we do is totally insane, that's all the more reason for doing it.

As a result of his inspiring work and attention to detail, @Alister_Gis one of half a dozen people on here that I can say have rekindled my interest in railway modelling after about a twenty year break.

What is insane in my book is living your life by someone else's achievements. Basically standing outside Dixons window on a Saturday afternoon and shouting "You're ****ing offside!" at the televisions.

I've seen it done.  :scratchhead:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

23 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

In my case, the windows of the station building were so large that not to provide an interior would have compromised later photographs of the model. I did also provide internal illumination.

Al.

That's understandable, given the size of the place (I have been there, years ago on the occasion of a closed down motorcycle breakers being cleared out.) 

bakewell(alan_young2.1976)14.jpg.946cb7e3064e9ba59b916c5ecd6ecc78.jpg

I had hoped that the largeish windows in my Vowchurch inspired building would allow interiors, if only the ticket window in the wall between the general waiting room in the centre and the office on the right.

I would then need three fireplaces and the enclosure around the ladies waiting room toilet. That's what I would have called minimal detail.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2