Gunpowder Vans - 00 Gauge - Back with a bang!

rapidoandy

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, rapidoandy said:

They are the wagon label clips (which were mounted on a wooden back piece). Not all of them had them so they have been included as optional parts for those that want to fit them.

Enjoy your GPV! 

Ah - that makes sense. Thank you!  And whilst I’m here - the way the NEM pocket can be removed completely is quite wonderful. Some day all manufacturers will do it this way.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

My GPVs arrived early this afternoon.  They are as good as I was expecting. :D

One innovation from Rapido I would have loved when I worked in a model shop.  There is a label on both ends of the box.  No faffing about making sure it's on the shelf the right way round.  Nice touch. :good:

• Like 6

21 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Putting two Rapido thought processes together - has anyone speculated about an S.E.C.R. G.P.V.? ...... my ABS L.S.W.R. van could do with a companion and it's got to be 'Southern' as these things weren't common user !

The SE & CR gunpowder vans were quite long lived, but were a little bit different in design to these. Flatter sides and four rib rooves.

I do not think that anyone has ever done a kit for one.

All the best

Ray

Edited by wainwright1
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Riddles said:

Interesting to see that Rapido 902002 (£32.95) and Dapol 4F-013-009 (£11.53) both have the same running number of M701048.

And there any resemblance ends.

The comparative prices tell us all we need to know.:)

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 8

20 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

And there any resemblance ends.

The comparative prices tell us all we need to know.:)

I bought a Dapol one a few years ago and wasn't very impressed. Just felt a bit plasticy and the BR Bauxite was just not the right colour, so much so I sent it back 

But if it means modellers can still have a GPV, aren't too fussed about minor details and not break the bank, especially ATM, then I'm all for a Dapol GPV alongside the Rapido one!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SteamingWales said:

I bought a Dapol one a few years ago and wasn't very impressed. Just felt a bit plasticy and the BR Bauxite was just not the right colour, so much so I sent it back 

But if it means modellers can still have a GPV, aren't too fussed about minor details and not break the bank, especially ATM, then I'm all for a Dapol GPV alongside the Rapido one!

The Dapol GPV is derived from an early-1960s Hornby Dublo body and a late-1970s Airfix chassis. Neither was bad in its time but "that was then and this is now", although Dapol have added NEM coupler mounts and metal wheels.

Compared to the prototype, though (and the Rapido model) theirs is too long, too wide, and the chassis lacks detail. Quite simply, you get what you pay for.

Personally, I prefer quality over quantity and I'd rather have one Rapido wagon than three Dapol. If  all I could afford was one Dapol GPV, I'd be either be working out how long it would take to save up for a Rapido one, or questioning whether I wanted a GPV at all.

When Dapol do produce all-new wagons, (generally modern in OO and traditional in O), they do a very good job, and it's a great pity (IMHO) but they've remained wedded to an increasingly antique range of steam era OO wagons for far too long. That said, new batches show up on Hatton's website pretty regularly so they must still sell.

Each to his own....

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

.... they've remained wedded to an increasingly antique range of steam era OO wagons for far too long. That said, new batches show up on Hatton's website pretty regularly ....

Not to mention availability with assorted - inappropriate and/or imaginary - Private Owners liveries from innumerable smaller suppliers.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Not to mention availability with assorted - inappropriate and/or imaginary - Private Owners liveries from innumerable smaller suppliers.

I find the Dapol GPVs in supposed "Brewery" liveries particularly hilarious.

Must have been strong stuff.  :jester:

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

I did purchase one with a view to converting it to the SE&CR gunpowder van but the difference were too much the main one I can see it that the SE&CR once had flush doors with the sides on these  they are proud. Still nice model just a minor gripe is that I put P4 wheels in it but still had to carve away some of the brake blocks to give clearance for the wheels to turn....  Looksin forward to more SE&CR wagons

Martin

• Like 1

Postie delivered my parcel today. M701058 and B887021.  Hadn't considered that the latter has the TOPS CXVs printed on, so maybe a touch of T Cut later.

Great work Rapido and you are now up there with the Irish guys for delivering great models.  Just remember BR transition era stuff and don't be afraid of tackling the GRCW class 100 DMUs !!!!  You WILL do a fantastic job of them

• Like 1