Gunpowder Vans - 00 Gauge - Back with a bang!

rapidoandy

The new GWR Gunpowder Van arrived yesterday whilst I was having my lunch.  As soon as I had finished my sandwich I took the new arrival up to my shed.   After a few minutes looking at it and figuring out how it came apart I swopped the wheels for EM gauge wheelsets and was delighted to find that no alterations to the brake gear were required to accept fine scale wheels.  I then removed the T/L couplings and replaced them with three link couplings - around twenty minutes work.  Weathering followed and within a couple of hours or so the new arrival was trundling round the railway in one of my goods trains - the result is shown in the photo.

I am delighted with this first wagon from Rapido and congratulate them on a most excellent start.  Perhaps it is a little clunky around the brake lever and V hanger but not excessively so and otherwise it is very good indeed.  It most certainly bodes well for the forthcoming models from Rapido and I look forward to the imminent SECR/SR open wagons with much anticipation.  And as for the Toads and the Loriot - if they are as good as this wagon then they will indeed be well worth awaiting for!

Gerry

P1030012 (2).JPG

Edited by Bulwell Hall
  • Like 14
  • Agree 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

6 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

We can also improve the spelling on the back of the box. That one was our bad - oooops! 

I didn't even notice, I had to read 3 more times to spot it lol, I shared the photo because I thought it was a fun blurb to stick on the box =) 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 17/03/2022 at 07:27, rapidoandy said:

Thank you!

There is always room to improve and we are working on even better things so watch this space!

we can also improve the spelling on the back of the box. That one was our bad - oooops! 

21 hours ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

I didn't even notice, I had to read 3 more times to spot it lol, I shared the photo because I thought it was a fun blurb to stick on the box =) 

My pair went straight into my stock boxes and the Rapido boxes into the recycling bin, so that is two  less to see Andy !!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

5 seconds work per side with a cocktail stick soon deTOPSified my late bauxite version…..

140A7BC6-618B-46B6-9CF5-4FECBF4B8C9D.jpeg.2e682cb397e464ed00a438b10673fbf4.jpeg

Cracking wagon, looking forwards to ferry vans, Loriot and Toad ….. Many thanks! 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Phil Bullock said:

5 seconds work per side with a cocktail stick soon deTOPSified my late bauxite version…..

140A7BC6-618B-46B6-9CF5-4FECBF4B8C9D.jpeg.2e682cb397e464ed00a438b10673fbf4.jpeg

Cracking wagon, looking forwards to ferry vans, Loriot and Toad ….. Many thanks! 

Phil do you think mostthe rest will come off to properly backdate to the days of the real railway ? ;) 

• Like 1

On 18/03/2022 at 20:45, The Stationmaster said:

Phil do you think mostthe rest will come off to properly backdate to the days of the real railway ?

Probably a lot quicker than getting the body off the chassis with its twenty attachment points. Yep twenty... 20!

4 x setscrews.  (Body to W Iron casting).

2 self tappers  (Couplings).

Six alignment tabs.  (1 on each corner and two transverse).

4 Spigots  (Brake safety hoops).

4 x self locking tabs  (Plastic outer chassis).

Bit like the twin chassis Lotus 88  (or the Hornby coke hopper).

GPV-Rapido-Medng-026-EditSm.jpg.d2283695217ad9dc14c6b8ff2d78db00.jpg

I've noticed a few insignificant and minor errors but I'll let the influencers of the model railway community comment on them.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Porcy, you aiming for something like this?!

1105471959_ParkingMink864Beard.jpg.04bfb2d41d4082f95b320065c4c85a3b.jpg

Yes, I know it's not a gunpowder van.

I only say that as I feel that had I not done so, then some helpful soul would have felt duty bound to have pointed out that this iron monk is not a gunpowder van. And nor is a monk a mink.

Edited by Not Jeremy
Bad habits...
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Phil do you think mostthe rest will come off to properly backdate to the days of the real railway ? ;) 

No reason to suppose otherwise Mr SM. A word of caution …. Over exuberant application of thinners based washes will also remove them, started to lose the tare markings off one of mine. We have 6 …. Including a GWR liveried one, there’s a picture of one with a Brush 4 late 60s at Bescot with GPV showing through on the end! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

Porcy, you aiming for something like this?!

1470163602_ParkingMink864Beard.jpg.7f517753499fd1b42356f7b399f75a3e.jpg

Yes, I know it's not a gunpowder van.

I only say that as I feel that had I not done so, then some helpful soul would have felt duty bound to have pointed out that this iron monk is not a gunpowder van.

Let me guess ... somebody's producing transfers for that livery already

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

On 18/03/2022 at 23:10, Not Jeremy said:

you aiming for something like this?!

Nah.   My Z4 will av wheels and buffers on. Sprung anall. Thanks to Rapido for giving us separate W irons and using very little clag in the assembly procedure.

Mines to be part of a 1959'ish rake of 4, or maybe six that used to get unloaded at the bottom of our garden. I'll be including a couple of chopped up  (Exploded?) Dublo and a Wrenn in the consist just for completeness.

GPV-Rapido-Medng-014-EditSm.jpg.7fcd07ad8260b500a51cc8ea199cd23f.jpg

I might even build one of the magazines that me n' me mates used to play J@ps n' Nazi's around during the early sixties.  During WWII "me Grandfatha" grew vegetables around the nearest magazine to the old homestead. His logic was, the Gormons aim would never be good enough to score a direct hit during a bombing run.  To this day' the odd cauliflower still pops it's head up occasionally.

Better get of to bed cos I'm off on a train journey in a few hours that will take me to drive another train that has a few GPV's in it's make up...

P.s.  I do like the odd buffer stop.

p2708262951-5.jpg

Nice that the T.T. allows linking to its photographs.

Edited by Porcy Mane
Add a P.s.
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

And a very nice Thames Trader in that photo too …. 

At the risk of being told off for further drifting a very good thread, what is it about Thames Traders?

I find them extraordinarily appealing...

Perhaps a new thread needs starting!

Simon

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

At the risk of being told off for further drifting a very good thread, what is it about Thames Traders?

I find them extraordinarily appealing...

Perhaps a new thread needs starting!

Simon

Yes please! Family haulage business in 60s used them…

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well I actually managed to get one (of the two I want) from the Kernow stand at Ally Pally yesterday - very nice innit!

I'm sure if this is the place to mention but should Andy be looking for a better anagram to replace the not so good effort on the back of the box might I suggest - purely as an anagram please understand and not an adverse comment on anyone employed by Rapido -    'o a drip'.  

PS yes it would work better if you can get Jason to add an 'H' on the end of the company name. 

• Funny 4

• 2 weeks later...

That was our mistake.

They are a pair of label clips. These were seen mostly on the bodyside of GWR examples and moved around in location. Unfortunately some instructions were missing from the relevant packaging.

If you click HERE you should find a PDF.

Thanks,

Andy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

My two GWR models arrived last week at my office. Sadly darling daughter tested +ve for COVID Thursday last week which meant I couldn't give them a run at my local club on the Friday. Good news is Little MIss is now -ve, but the bad news is that Madame is now +ve... she's fine and taking it easy though - almost no symptoms. So far, all that has happened to me is that as a close contact, I can't go out right now...

• Friendly/supportive 4