RMweb

Lockdown’s Last Lingerings - (Covid since L2 ended)

Nearholmer

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Clagmeister said:

Exactly, but if everyone who wants it has it then all is good.  As vaccine is the path we have chosen, the sooner folk have it, the sooner the young generation can get on with enjoying themselves and having full young lives.  The damage we are doing to them at the moment is unforgivable in my view.

The young undoubtedly have it tough at the moment but Covid restrictions are only a small and temporary  percentage of the difficulties they face. Unaffordable housing, student debt and insecure employment are enduring problems which have been there for years and will outlast the current restrictions. I get cheesed off by those who hold the levers of power citing concern for the young or the mental health of the nation as reasons to reduce or abandon restrictions when they have done nothing to address these issues over the time that they have held office.

• Like 4
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Clagmeister said:

The young are being thrown under the bus.  The things you state are just dilemmas compared to loss of liberty.

Which will, hopefully return sooner or later.

Death is somewhat more permanent.

• Like 1
  • Agree 11

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, vaughan45 said:

Presumably those who believe Covid-19 is only a mild illness will not be requiring a vaccination then, when their turn comes. I was going to say this is useful as it ensures those doses won't be wasted, but unfortunately it means they could still be a source of infection for others.

Well it makes sense to put those who are only likely to get it mildly at the end of the queue for vaccination in order to make the most of the vaccine, since we can't give it to everyone at the same time. I'm quite happy to get vaccinated in order to help get this over and done with ASAP. I'm not really concerned with the risks of getting Covid personally because I'm unlikely to be seriously affected, as you say it's about the chances of passing it on.

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Clagmeister said:

The young are being thrown under the bus. 

More emotive phraseology which makes me wonder if we're being played.

We're all living behind the sofa and suffering loss of liberties, privileges and freedoms, some losing lives and livelihoods but all ages, genders, religions and races have to work collectively to get to a better place, together. No-one wants to harm one group to the benefit of another so drop the wild narrative please.

• Agree 13

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Clagmeister said:

The young are being thrown under the bus.  The things you state are just dilemmas compared to loss of liberty.

Really? You sure you're not exploiting 'the plight of the young' as cover for your own disgruntlement at having to do the socially responsible thing for a few months?

• Like 7
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 3

15 minutes ago, Clagmeister said:

The young are being thrown under the bus.  The things you state are just dilemmas compared to loss of liberty

Ah, now, talking about the young only in that context is sophistry: everyone is suffering loss of liberty.

Where I do thinks it’s fair to hold-up the young as being uniquely damaged is through mangled educations, and for children and youngsters up to about 16, or possibly 18, and crippled social-interactions, which damage their development.

So, thank the good Lord the end of that is in sight.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

No, just putting my children's mental and physical health first which is what we should do in all instances in my view.  We are the past, they are the future.  I can't see a single reason to support the limitation on education, sports, play, music, bars and clubs for young people.  That is the very essence of living a healthy life.

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Clagmeister said:

We are the past, they are the future.  I can't see a single reason to support the limitation on education, sports, play, music, bars and clubs for young people

That does it for me, you have got to be baiting us.

• Agree 6
  • Thanks 4

6 hours ago, vaughan45 said:

Just to clarify - The figure I quote is based on a personal risk assessment by a consultant for myself taking into account my respiratory and other conditions, so has not been misquoted - It came as a result of a particularly candid telephone consultation part way through lockdown one and was something of a shock.

For the population at large the risk will vary according to an individuals own circumstances, although I agree that that when you take an average across all age groups, socio-economic groups etc. the risk is quoted as 5%. 

Sorry, I mis-read earlier, which Dagworth noticed.

I thought you were referring to general figures rather than those for someone with a lung inefficiency of some kind.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, vaughan45 said:

Presumably those who believe Covid-19 is only a mild illness will not be requiring a vaccination then, when their turn comes. I was going to say this is useful as it ensures those doses won't be wasted, but unfortunately it means they could still be a source of infection for others.

They are easy to recognise, the’re the ones crossing the road to the vaccination centre blindfold......

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

Finding a use for the green bin during winter.

A friend of mine is very keen on open water swimming.

When we had a small amount of snow the other day she half filled the bin and turned it into an acclimatization chamber.

Bernard

139484039_3506585962780353_2696082194485241600_n.jpg.19d36bf0bd373eed064d51d791956875.jpg

I take it it wasn’t bin day then? 

• Funny 4

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

More emotive phraseology which makes me wonder if we're being played.

That's OK then as fishing is allowed.:D

It looks to me more like getting near time to saddle up the billy goat.

I fear that our friend has no experience of loss of liberty nor of the tings that make up that liberty.

I wrote some time ago about being in Nepal and having to use a bucket under the bed as Maoist snipers were waiting for a light to come on. I also have some experience of life in various communist countries.

A dose of real loss of liberty might open his eyes a bit.

In the real world we are just going through some minor short term hick ups.

There re no restrictions on buying or playing with model trains.

In a world where many millions of people do not get enough to eat nor have any chance of an education, the restriction of being able to go to the pub or a concert is a  very minor issue.

Bernard

• Like 3
  • Agree 12
  • Round of applause 2

2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

... many people use it to describe a heavy cold. There is a very considerable difference in my experience ...

It used to be that you knew it really was 'flu if you failed the Ten Bob Note Test.  I suppose it's the Fifty Quid Test now ...

• Agree 2

I had a dose of something very much like what we now know as Covid 19 , but it was over the Christmas of 2019 (so, at least in theory it was something else).

I was effectively feverishly delirious or unconscious on the sofa for 3 days, nobly managed to crawl into work on the 27th and could barely manage to get up the stairs.

It wasn't so much a shortness of breath, as just not being able to breath!

I spent the next three days back in bed.

Whatever it was that caused the ailment, it certainly wasn't mild!

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

My assumption is that our late correspondent has been penned-up at home for weeks on end with several teenage off-spring.

My son hasn’t got ‘severe teenagerness’, but even he alternates between moping about in a foul mood, playing on-line games, and acting the young bullock because he can’t get rid of his energy playing competitive sports.

A house-full of teenagers could affect a man’s sense of proportion.

• Funny 2