Signal Box Photos

My wife works in London and I get to drive down and stop off enroute. It surprises me how many boxes are still about on the ECML. Here are some from the Retford-Newark area.

A couple of rather basic designs at Barby and Carlton.

1382740327_BarnbyLR.JPG.88af9eb60beea4796189f15a01d0d23a.JPG

995849009_Carltonlr.JPG.2c392201935f3be19c5ce6b83ba06732.JPG

Grove Road which I think has featured before

334028791_GroveRoadlr.JPG.c50c330f0c53f5483fcccf40db87e947.JPG

And best of all Bathley Lane due to the cow bells warning system strung across the road.

541751170_BathleyLanelr1.JPG.846d0366d3632d56d85b1254286e5346.JPG2095212886_BathleyLanelr2.JPG.5f5b6b73f02ced15ba9776f4fffd8dfc.JPG

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

Re an index, is this the kind of thing which would be useful? If it is, I will add a bit to it each day until it is up-to-date and then post it again.

Jonathan

Signalboxes.xls 11.5 kB · 0 downloads

Great!

How about a date for the photo (not the upload)?

I can volunteer to add some pages and send them to you?

Kev.

36 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

Re an index, is this the kind of thing which would be useful? If it is, I will add a bit to it each day until it is up-to-date and then post it again.

Jonathan

Signalboxes.xls 11.5 kB · 5 downloads

19 minutes ago, SHMD said:

Great!

How about a date for the photo (not the upload)?

I can volunteer to add some pages and send them to you?

Kev.

Well done guys. Good of you to get stuck in and do the job :good_mini::good_mini::clapping:

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

A great start - though I've spotted one spilling mistaek : Pipeep Junction should be Bopeep ! ............... or should that be Bo-Peep ?

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tim V said:

It surprises me how many boxes still survive. However, neither of these does.

Hungerford 1977, and Kintbury in 1977 and 1978.

Hungerford 14-07-1977 98-3.jpg

The 'Box shown at Hungerford was a replacement for the original GWR 'Box which stood on the same side of the line but the other side of the crossing which was demolished by a derailed freight in 1971.  This "Plywood Wonder" was formerly at Bristol East Depot.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I've filled in Page 5.

(I wanted to make sure there was no duplication!)

I have put a couple of question marks in because I am pretty sure Doncaster and Bletchley had more than one Box!

Here is my list. At the bottom is the same thing in Excel97 format - other formats available on request!

I will enter page 6 tomorrow, page 7 Wednesday, page 8 Thursday and Page 9 Friday. (We'll agree something for the other pages later.)

image.png.ed11e4593a4a40fb496bde5cee67ea07.pngSignal

KevsSignalBoxeEdits.xls

Please feel free to point out errors or to add further info.

Kev.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the comments. On the original it was actually Bo-Peeep in one placer so I wasn't far off! But I can't type to save my life so everything I do will need proofreading. I'll add pages 3 and 4 tomorrow plus the dates. I'll also add a final column for "real name" in case anyone wants to admit who they are.

Jonathan

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

Thanks for the comments. On the original it was actually Bo-Peeep in one placer so I wasn't far off! But I can't type to save my life so everything I do will need proofreading. I'll add pages 3 and 4 tomorrow plus the dates. I'll also add a final column for "real name" in case anyone wants to admit who they are.

Jonathan

...Ah. We might be getting into the realms of GDPR territory here...

(I thought we might be safe with just forum pseudo names.)

Kev.

7 hours ago, Rivercider said:

The container crane looks a bit incongruous in the yard there

cheers

I agree it does. I think it was still in use at the time the photo was taken in 2015. The right background is interesting too. What you can see there is the platform canopy of Elgin East station which has been enclosed by building a fence underneath it. The rather grand station building still exists too in a good state of repair, used by the local council I think. See attached photos

DSC_0636.JPG

DSC_0637.JPG

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

"...Ah. We might be getting into the realms of GDPR territory here..."

Which is why I suggested that people could say if they wanted to rather than that they should. I must admit that I am quite happy to admit my name. It is plastered over all sorts of things anyway and has been all through my career as a journalist.

Jonathan David

• Like 1