Help me find a viaduct

Richard320

I belong to an Ntrak club. When we run at shows, My Thomas the Tank Engine (and Percy, still need to get more Tomix models of the rest) is a huge hit. Yet, he's so tiny. The other lines have four engine lashups pulling 100 car coal drags, or a full Amtrak train, then here comes this little thing. So I had a brainstorm.

I'll make a double-deck module, sort of. I'll have the three Ntrak standard lines on a viaduct across a valley, and have a lower level -better for the little kids to see, too - with a small loop to run Thomas on. Now to find a suitable viaduct. I've actually seen Ribbleshead Viaduct. I'm not sure I'm up to modelling something with the tapered, what do you call them, legs? Or the stones.

You're on the ground; I'm 8 timezones away. Please help me find something to model. Roughly, 30" long and about 6" high. Brick would be ideal, so I can build it all then just glue brick paper to the sides. No complicated angles; the arches will be hard enough for me.

I belong to an Ntrak club. When we run at shows, My Thomas the Tank Engine (and Percy, still need to get more Tomix models of the rest) is a huge hit. Yet, he's so tiny. The other lines have four engine lashups pulling 100 car coal drags, or a full Amtrak train, then here comes this little thing. So I had a brainstorm.

I'll make a double-deck module, sort of. I'll have the three Ntrak standard lines on a viaduct across a valley, and have a lower level -better for the little kids to see, too - with a small loop to run Thomas on. Now to find a suitable viaduct. I've actually seen Ribbleshead Viaduct. I'm not sure I'm up to modelling something with the tapered, what do you call them, legs? Or the stones.

Couldn't you kibash something out of the cheap Atlas viaduct kit? It does make up to a respectable basis for a stone arch viaduct, but would need widening. Best of all, the kits should be easily available and cheap... Its only defect may be that the spacing on the piers may be a bit tight if you are trying to get a track through the viaduct and then turn it in front (i.e. the track has to come through perpendicular to the viaduct). The piers have cut lines on them to allow you to make (IIRC) three different heights.

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/atl/atl2826.htm

There are also some various viaducts from the European manufacturers, but from a cost perspective I'd suggest trying the Atlas kit(s) first.

Adrian

Thanks to all who replied.

The Atlas viaduct won't be tall enough. Plus, I'm counting on using the legs to add structural strength to the module, liking the upper and lower levels of plywood together. And as someone mentioned, yes, I'd like to have the loop on the lower level pass through the arches, so generous spacing is needed.

I poked around wikipedia and found a listing of viaducts in the UK, and I like the look of the Stockport Viaduct. Mine will be much shorter, but similar in appearance.

Theres a viaduct to the south of Durham on the East Coast Mainline, which has about four spans, all of which are squared off. Its brick struts meet a metal level for which the trains run on. Its double track and near Brandon, although its not somewhere I normally go to photograph, I can get some of it for you if you want. Alternatively, try the infamous Google images search.....

Hope that helps...

Archived