The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For Those Interested in Helicopters

scottystitch

On 22/12/2020 at 18:59, StuAllen said:

Caught this flying over our house just after the start of the first lockdown

I think it was a couple of those that flew past at treetop height along the Tweed as we were walking back towards Peebles along the route of the old Caledonian Biggar to Peebles line as second/third lockdown was easing earlier this year.  Noisy blighters with a definite no-nonsense air about them.

Edited by ejstubbs

On 21/01/2021 at 01:24, Jeff Smith said:

Just watched the departure a certain couple on Marine 1 from the White House lawn and the thought struck me that a V-22 would make a great Marine 1.......I have a soft spot for them having worked for several years on them!  Faster and probably a bigger cabin.

And would burn the White House lawns!

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

The IR suppressed exhausts wouldn't be too hot, mixed with cooler air and the prop/rotor wash......however a consideration......

Perhaps the next Marine 1 fleet will be electric for the short hop to Joint Base Andrews!

The problem with the VTOL aspect of the president's transport, is that it needs to be air transportable which (whilst possible) becomes a little bit more complex with the V-22.  Add in the fact that it's benefits (High speed forward flight, whilst still VTOL) is largely negated by it's short range mission profile.

In any case the S-92 is the next rotary type for Marine One duties, and will probably remain so for the next 20+ years.

Best

Scott.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Johann Marsbar said:

Todays "chopper bash" at Ipswich Hospital...........

DSCF5939a.JPG.5608a4de0788cb17d79cbf5576348a77.JPG

Only the second Coastguard one I've ever seen land there, though for some reason they have an aversion to using the helipad provided.  Don't think it's too big for it....

Ah, one of "mine"(Bristow).  Pilot's approve but it's a sod to maintain!

Looks good though...

I'm not familiar with the pad at Ipswich, but depending on its material and construction it may be out of limits for the weight the AW189.  I shall ask the question of that operation...

Best

Scott.

• 8 months later...