Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Freight only micro layout: the end!

Hi all,

Hot on the heels of the OBA is another project that's been on the sidelines for a while. I bought a couple of Bachmann HEA's about two years ago on a whim but quickly realised I had little use for them.

They had been heavily weathered by the previous owner and were both in orange/black Loadhaul livery, which obviously had to change! 

First job was to remove the weathering and then separate the hopper body from the chassis to make repainting easier.

IMG_20230104_143704161.jpg.adc783544d05f1c290c0a5b496b77da8.jpg

I then give the upper parts of the body a coat of primer to make repainting into red easier.

IMG_20230104_152521835.jpg.f510283ca5bbeeee00c896f4e38e34ca.jpg

Looking at photos, I noticed rust patches on the lower body, just above the solebar which I've represented on one wagon so far.

These are not going to be for the layout, so progress may be slow as they'll be a side project!

Matt

Edited by Enfys_Rainbow
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• Enfys_Rainbow changed the title to Freight only micro layout: Cambrian OBA

Another side step while I'm in a wagon building mood.

I like the look of the Ferry Open wagons, and building one has been on my radar for a while, but it's taken a while to get going.

A bit like the HEA's, it'll be a slow-ish project fitted around other things.

Work has started by chopping up some bits to produce a representation of the wagon...long way to go yet!

Matt

• Like 7

On 14/01/2023 at 18:26, Enfys_Rainbow said:

Hi all,

Following on from the Bachmann OBA, I've started work on another, although this time it's by Cambrian.

It'll be an interesting comparison when finished!

C1

There are still a few "underneath bits" to add, along with lamp irons and couplings.

Matt

I'd like to do something similar, where are the underframe gubbins from please?

I have a couple of the old Hornby ones picked up cheap when I didn't know better. I seem to remember reading they could be made to scrub up ok with some work, is this correct do you think or would it be better to go with the Cambrian version

Martyn

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, mullie said:

I have a couple of the old Hornby ones picked up cheap when I didn't know better. I seem to remember reading they could be made to scrub up ok with some work, is this correct do you think or would it be better to go with the Cambrian version

Martyn

Hi Martyn,

I know Hornby make an OAA and I have one to rebuild myself. The body is decent, everything below is a bit rubbish!

They can be improved by replacing the underframe entirely, something I'll be starting in the near-ish future.

As to OBA's, the Bachmann model is far superior, however the Cambrian kit still holds up well as I hope mine shows.

Matt

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Enfys_Rainbow said:

Hi Martyn,

I know Hornby make an OAA and I have one to rebuild myself. The body is decent, everything below is a bit rubbish!

They can be improved by replacing the underframe entirely, something I'll be starting in the near-ish future.

As to OBA's, the Bachmann model is far superior, however the Cambrian kit still holds up well as I hope mine shows.

Matt

I model in EM, where did the W irons, axle boxes etc come from?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mullie said:

I model in EM, where did the W irons, axle boxes etc come from?

Bill Bedford w-irons, axle boxes from Stenson Models - note these are designed for their own w-irons and not the BB ones (or the Cambrian kit for that matter) so a lot of fettling was required.

• Thanks 1

• Enfys_Rainbow changed the title to Freight only micro layout: BR Ferry Open
On 16/01/2023 at 18:11, Enfys_Rainbow said:

Another side step while I'm in a wagon building mood.

I like the look of the Ferry Open wagons, and building one has been on my radar for a while, but it's taken a while to get going.

A bit like the HEA's, it'll be a slow-ish project fitted around other things.

Work has started by chopping up some bits to produce a representation of the wagon...long way to go yet!

Matt

Watching with great interest but I must ask bits of what are being chopped up? I assume you must have something as a starting point to provide the required “bits”?

As someone who would want to be building a fair few of these at some point in the future!

Steve S

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Watching with great interest but I must ask bits of what are being chopped up? I assume you must have something as a starting point to provide the required “bits”?

As someone who would want to be building a fair few of these at some point in the future!

Steve S

Hi Steve,

Cambrian C96 for the ends/doors and C75 for the other panels.

The C75 bits need reducing in height by one plank, and need a representation of internal planking added. These bits aren't totally accurate - the diagonal strapping isn't right, and is even more wrong when you remove the plank, but it's good enough for me and a lot less work than sanding the strapping off and re-adding as others have done.

I'm sure there are lots of other errors too, but again, it's good enough for me and I simply lack the time, motivation and skills to do it any other way!

Matt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 16/01/2023 at 20:28, mullie said:

Martyn

Pricey maybe but effective. https://www.shapeways.com/product/XU2TDHUQ6/oaa-chassis-for-Hornby-body-pair

I went 50/50 with a friend for one and it is excellent. 

steve

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

8 hours ago, steve1 said:

Pricey maybe but effective. https://www.shapeways.com/product/XU2TDHUQ6/oaa-chassis-for-Hornby-body-pair

I went 50/50 with a friend for one and it is excellent. 

steve

Yes, I looked at that after a few searches online. Rather too pricey for me though, although it does look very good.

Think I'll stick to the budget version - bodged together!

• Enfys_Rainbow changed the title to Freight only micro layout: random wagons
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 13/02/2023 at 11:20, Enfys_Rainbow said:

Hello all,

The Cambrian OBA from a few posts ago is now almost ready for painting.

C2

C3

Question now is do I do another grey/red RF wagon, or something else instead...?

Matt

Really nice what you've done to this and how it's been built. What are the couplings and buffers you used?

• Like 1

On 28/02/2023 at 19:59, 33063 said:

Really nice what you've done to this and how it's been built. What are the couplings and buffers you used?

Sorry, missed your comment!

Buffers are from Lanarkshire Models and couplings are regular Smiths to fit in with my other stock as opposed to being prototypical!

Matt

2 hours ago, Enfys_Rainbow said:

Sorry, missed your comment!

Buffers are from Lanarkshire Models and couplings are regular Smiths to fit in with my other stock as opposed to being prototypical!

Matt

Thanks. Do you happen to know which ones from Lanarkahire?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I've lost all interest in modelling, I'm having my customary Spring slump - pretty normal at this time of year for me.

I've learnt there's little point forcing it, far better to wait. Meanwhile, I have made some small steps with the BR Ferry Open wagon.

03[2862]

More soon...once I get my motivation back!

Matt

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9

Interesting wagon to model and it's looking good Matt, I get the ''spring slump'' there's something about shutting the curtains to the world in the early evening and getting stuck into some modelling that putting the clocks forward takes away!  

• Thanks 1