Freight only micro layout: for sale

On 29/11/2022 at 07:48, Enfys_Rainbow said:

@sb67 I used isopropanol to strip the paint, however I use acrylics so they come off easily. I'm told that this will also strip RTR paintwork, but I've not attempted it myself yet. Dettol has to be the worst method, I stripped a Lima Class 31 a while back...talk about a sticky mess!

You're not wrong about the Dettol! Unfortunately, it's the only thing that has worked so far, Isopropanol and brake fluid haven't touched the Lima factory finish, neither has Mr Muscle at the moment. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, sb67 said:

You're not wrong about the Dettol! Unfortunately, it's the only thing that has worked so far, Isopropanol and brake fluid haven't touched the Lima factory finish, neither has Mr Muscle at the moment. 

You surprise me, they are my weapons of choice for Lima locose, are you sure the fluids are fresh?, they lose their "corrosive" properties when used a few times.

Mike.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

You surprise me, they are my weapons of choice for Lima locose, are you sure the fluids are fresh?, they lose their "corrosive" properties when used a few times.

Mike.

The brake fluid was 4 dot and fresh. The Mr Muscle was new as well, I've just covered it in it again and I'll see how it goes this weekend. 

• Like 1

• Enfys_Rainbow changed the title to Freight only micro layout: telegraph poles

Hello all,

I'm no telegraph pole expert, but having looked at the available offerings in 4mm scale, I decided I wasn't keen.

I might feel different if I had a 40ft long layout that needed 400 telegraph poles, but seeing as I only need a handful, I think I could and should do better.

After a few hours with various offcuts of plastic and other (sadly) unidentified bits from the spares box, here's what I've come up with...or at least 2 of the 5 I'll need anyway!

Very enjoyable!

Matt

Edited by Enfys_Rainbow
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

9 hours ago, Enfys_Rainbow said:

Hello all,

I'm no telegraph pole expert, but having looked at the available offerings in 4mm scale, I decided I wasn't keen.

I might feel different if I had a 40ft long layout that needed 400 telegraph poles, but seeing as I only need a handful, I think I could and should do better.

After a few hours with various offcuts of plastic and other (sadly) unidentified bits from the spares box, here's what I've come up with...or at least 2 of the 5 I'll need anyway!

Very enjoyable!

Matt

Get ready for the pole expert's.....Mmm incorrect spacing for a GPO Mk3b tgp! 🤣 but as a pice of scenery for a model train set....spot on! Love the steps....to be fair I prefer to see my poles 12 ft tall and chrome? 🙈

There will be a expert some where on rmweb I've been sucked in to the rabbit hole one that is the 'pylon' section on this forum! If you go looking for it it's your own fault if you fall in!

Brill modeling as usual...

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Hi all,

Latest bit of scratchbuilding!

IMG_20221211_102215839_HDR.jpg.37e99562a66d0191cd0aed97796f0bb3.jpg

I wanted some gates at my road crossing. Having looked at those available RTR or as kits, I quickly decided to make my own.

Inspiration is a combination of photos of gates from a variety of different locations found online.

The gate itself is made entirely from offcuts of plastic section and rod, with the side posts being several strips glued together as I had nothing else suitable. The angled capping is yet more offcuts sanded to shape.

Not perfect by any means, but an enjoyable afternoon modelling project, and continues my attempt to scratchbuilt as much as possible.

Now I just have to make another set...

Matt

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• Enfys_Rainbow changed the title to Freight only micro layout: bufferstop
  • RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Enfys_Rainbow said:

Hello all,

With work having started on some ballasting, my thoughts turned towards one of the two bufferstops. Given their close proximity to the backscene, painting and weathering, not to mention ballasting, would be very awkward if done after fixing them in place. 

First the bufferstop itself - this is one of the sublime Lanarkshire Models items supplied by @davefrk. Painting was actually trickier than I expected, my first few attempts were much too dark. After much mixing of various brown and orange paint, I've got a shade I'm much happier with.

I decided to glue the whole thing to a piece of paper, cut to fit the exact space, then ballast it. This way, I can glue the more or less completed item in situ and then just blend in the edges at a later stage.

Bufferstop01

Bufferstop02

Bufferstop03

All in all, I'm relatively pleased but happy to take feedback, particularly about the colour.

Matt

Matt that's a nice piece of modelling the buffer stop, ground cover and foliage all look great. Thanks for sharing.🧑‍🎄

• Agree 2

• Enfys_Rainbow changed the title to Freight only micro layout: return to the Gronk

Thanks to the generosity of a fellow modeller, my Class 08 now has new rods.

It's taken me a while to get around to fitting them but they're the regular Brassmasters ones, filed down to reduce the width slightly.

Fitting them was the least fun I've had but the visual improvement is huge!

I'm still having problems with the (Bachmann) pins popping out occasionally, does anyone have any clever solutions to stop this happening?

Matt

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Spot the difference!

No? Well I'll tell you - I've painted the fuel stain. Lots of 08's have really filthy fuel stains, to the point the sides are almost black. The photos I've found of 08945 show far less staining which I've tried to represent. I've also added further weathering to the cab roof.

Cruel close up:

Matt

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• Enfys_Rainbow changed the title to Freight only micro layout: a rusty hut
  • Enfys_Rainbow changed the title to Freight only micro layout: Bachmann OBA
23 minutes ago, sb67 said:

That OAA is very, very nice! 👍

Thanks Steve!

I've since corrected the replacement plank length (incorrectly painted above!) and done some minor weathering within (just visible if you look carefully at the photo below).

I also repainted the "pink" plank as I really didn't like it!

Matt

Edited by Enfys_Rainbow
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

13 minutes ago, Enfys_Rainbow said:

Thanks Steve!

I've since corrected the replacement plank length (incorrectly painted above!) and done some minor weathering within (just visible if you look carefully at the photo below).

I also repainted the "pink" plank as I really didn't like it!

Matt

When are you going to do a YouTube how too?...brill weathered wagon

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1