LMS Stanier Kitchen Car

Darius43

• 2 months later...
On 03/01/2021 at 11:07, Darius43 said:

Painting completed and ready for lining and numbering.

C5E69C0C-A65D-4359-A009-F022D7090398.jpeg.7fe438642538fa708c4dbd61fb08de32.jpeg

4E2CFD42-4BDE-4992-9242-E3ABE1EB48E1.jpeg.7ca648d81b2a96940285ba1617e46543.jpeg

Cheers

Darius

Great paint job, what paint type/ colour did you use please, is it red direct on a grey primer coat, or did you do a red undercoat as well?    Trying to figure out a way to match Mainline/ Bachman red so repainted coaches match. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, DavidCBroad said:

Great paint job, what paint type/ colour did you use please, is it red direct on a grey primer coat, or did you do a red undercoat as well?    Trying to figure out a way to match Mainline/ Bachman red so repainted coaches match. 

Hi David,

I used Phoenix paints BR Maroon (Dull) enamel, as opposed to an LMS red, thinned for airbrushing.  I used white primer over the initial grey etching primer on the coach sides as grey tends to “darken” red/yellow/blue paint applications.   I applied two coats of Klear acrylic varnish (aka Pledge floor polish) to the sides before applying the lining and decals.

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Agree with Barry O.

Takes a bit more time, but cutting away the whole top of the donor coach side (leave a strip along the bottom but file it down the same turn-under shape), filing down the ends' edges a tad and fitting a strip of Plastistrut on the underside of the Roof Cantrail, about 0.5mm in, gives you an overlap of the Cantrail when the new Brass side is stuck on and sits 'under' the Cantrail. Bit of a faff but looks a hell of a lot better.

However, do what suits you best. 

Phil

• RMweb Gold

There is a limit to how much you can hack these coaches to bits without them falling apart completely.  

A simpler solution might be to widen the roof cantrail using micro strip so that it just extends beyond the brass side.

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Funny 1

I used microstrip to form the cantrail on my similar conversion. 

The only trouble with this conversion is that the BG is too narrow for this coach. Should it not be the same width as other LMS passenger stock?  The   Comet Stove R I built is too wide and should be the width of the BG! Put me right if I am wrong.

Dave

kitchen (3).JPG

• Like 5

Looks amazing. I have now assembled most of the bits to produce an LMS restaurant triplet, using a Mainline BG and three Replica TTO bodyshells for the two open coaches. I am interested in the use you made of the Olfa cutter; I will try to find one before I get started.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Thanks for your advice Darius.

I have finally started work on mine, along with its companion TO. The RFO is still lurking in its component parts, but hopefully getting this far means that I will stop procrastinating and get my triplet set built, just in time for Hornby to bring out a version from their Coronation Scot tooling…

The door hoods will be added separately in future!

Paul

IMG_6734.jpeg.f6fcf7dbffca1d410d0aec29a75fbcee.jpegIMG_6735.jpeg.3a43726b01d62eb5764dcbfa97b2e15c.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, exet1095 said:

Thanks for your advice Darius.

I have finally started work on mine, along with its companion TO. The RFO is still lurking in its component parts, but hopefully getting this far means that I will stop procrastinating and get my triplet set built, just in time for Hornby to bring out a version from their Coronation Scot tooling…

The door hoods will be added separately in future!

Paul

Hi Paul

I have the reverse situation, my RSO (layout set post '56) is still in component parts. Here are my "I have started so I might finish" models. 

a024.jpg.a3c05ffe12bffae5491bd349b9b68814.jpg

Kitchen car, kitchen side.

a026.jpg.6ba55fc02e2a8ffc7b2887476bfa5092.jpg

Kitchen car corridor side

a022.jpg.a2c338d8e16ce337b83f439c82664ecb.jpg

65ft RFO

. Cut and shuts from railroad/old Hornby LMS coaches

• Like 6

The triplet has now had the bodies painted with Halford’s aerosols and the roofs done with an old tinlet of Humbrol from the 1980s. The black bits, touching up, lining and glazing and the interiors to do, all before going back to work on Monday!IMG_6737.jpeg.78026bfda52a4f512c4430bc72400871.jpeg

• Like 11

Further progress, but please excuse the mess behind. All three of the triplets have been painted and lined. Made up numbers applied (what were on the sheet…) and varnished. Tidying up to do, along with door and grab handles, before glazing and assembly.IMG_6740.jpeg.bffd76bd32d1885657c81217c50abbbf.jpeg

• Like 8

Apologies, the text for the three images above vanished…

Whilst building the triplet, I dug out an old Airfix LMS composite which I bought for a song at Scaleforum some years ago. It had Comet sides in the box, and the body had been butchered in preparation for an assembly which never happened. 

It had Bachmann LMS bogies, with couplings and end stretchers removed; and P4 wheels jammed in.

The lack of couplings was an issue, and having failed to bodge a CCU

under the chassis, I bent a piece of scrap etch up, drilled the Roco CCU and a Hornby coupling, and soldered it all together with a Triang track pin as a rivit. It seems pretty solid…

Just the last bits of detail to add, the roof to fix on, and then I have something to match the triplet…

Finally, Darius, I hope you don’t mind me hijacking your thread in this way!

• Like 1

IMG_6745.jpeg.d781da6277fec9682bd6e9c5787f0b2f.jpegThe Kitchen Car glazed and assembled. Door and grab handles still to be added, and the paint needs to be tidied.

Glazing from John Lewis packaging, Avery labels to white out the kitchen and corridor windows, with micropore for the staff lavatory window. 

Percy’s not sure what he is expected to do next…

• Like 4

IMG_6746.jpeg.d0928bffc9317eec761a960133d7bbc7.jpegIMG_6747.jpeg.bdcf795c52f7fcfb068a2eaec3f8d9b7.jpegThe RFO has now been glazed, with sniper tape curtains and a Replica Mk1 FO interior cut and shut to fit. Again, tidying and handles to be added.

The RTO still awaits an interior and glazing. Nothing here to hand so it might be a few days (hopefully, not years!).

Again, thanks for the inspiration.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_6753.jpeg.0ceb59b122384353f6eeebf2c989ab5e.jpegThe RTO has been glazed and an interior cut and shut from the moulding from a Replica TSO.

Just the handles and a bit of paintwork tidying to do. 

Trouble is, I need some more matching Stanier stock now. The next project is a cut and shut of an old Mainline 57’ CK with a section of matching BTK side inserted to make a Period I TK. If I remember to take pictures I will start a thread, but thanks again to Darius for the inspiration.

Paul

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Those coaches look really good, you must be pleased with them. 

Modifying RTR coaches with brass sides is good fun and opens up a wide variety of rolling stock.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

Those coaches look really good, you must be pleased with them. 

Modifying RTR coaches with brass sides is good fun and opens up a wide variety of rolling stock.

Cheers

Darius

Thanks Darius, your kind words are much appreciated!