The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2021

Oldddudders

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

20 mins to go and puddles very visible. Anyone can win on such a day, I thought. It was spectacular, it was violent at times, it is well worth watching.

Indeed, first race I've watched since the Hunt/Lauda era, #1 son is a big F1 fan so I watched the race with him, good entertainment.

• Like 2

Are Mercedes favouring Hamilton over Bottas with a better car? They must be as Hamilton's Merc can carve its way through the field with numerous overtakes whilst Bottas's can't. Of course it could just be one driver is slightly better than the other.....

I think Bottas will be needing to find another seat next season.

• Agree 5
  • Funny 1

I feel Hamilton just has more racing instinct than Bottas. Lewis will go for the gaps and take the risks whilst Valtteri seems to be less 'instinctive' and needs a bigger pace difference to effectively make an overtake.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

15 minutes ago, Gareth Collier said:

Are Mercedes favouring Hamilton over Bottas with a better car? They must be as Hamilton's Merc can carve its way through the field with numerous overtakes whilst Bottas's can't. Of course it could just be one driver is slightly better than the other.....

I don't think anyone disputes that Hamilton is better than Bottas - Hamilton is one of the best, if not the best, driver to have ever got into a F1 car. That he was able to overtake drivers Bottas couldn't doesn't make Bottas a bad driver.

OTOH George has gone down in my estimation today. Not for his driving error - pretty much everyone made those today - but for his response to the accident. A driver knows the difference between being hit by another car and skidding of your own volition. So I'm afraid I find the manner of his radio call back to the pits and his gesture to Bottas (who as far as I could tell merely walked over to check George was OK) somewhat inexcusable. I hope he finds time to watch the replay and apologise (if he hasn't already done so).

• Agree 4

Clearly a case of adrenaline running full on after such an accident. Many Drivers have done the same in the past and many will do the same in the future.

Personally, I think George saw Bottas move towards him initially and overcompensated, that's what put him on the grass. DC mentioned experience and I think this is what really played into George moving as much as he did. He's not had the experience of making that many overtakes in F1 due to the low performance of his Williams. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

Oh dear, GR needs to reflect on today, my gut feel is he will watch some replays, realise he had a bad day in the office and then take it down as a learning experience.  He will then no doubt follow up with some apologies to Toto and Valterri and the respective teams.

Listening to Toto Wolff in the C4 programme, he seems slow to support Valterri and while acknowledging GR has messed up he seems slow to condem the slap on the helmet, claiming he didn't see a slap but then being very aware of Valterri giving the finger...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Gareth Collier said:

I think it was also because of the tyres they were on. Hamilton's visit to the wall had the effect of putting him on comparatively newer tyres than everyone else when he was overtaking. When Bottas was stuck there wasn't the difference between him and those around him. That said Hamilton is just a natural racer - even when things don't look good he keeps working so he can take any chance when it comes. I think Bottas, like Kimi, or Alonso, can loose focus when a podium doesn't seem to be on the cards.

Edited by SR71
typo
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, SR71 said:

I think it was also because of the tyres they were on. Hamilton's visit to the wall had the effect of putting him in comparatively newer tyres than everyone else when he was overtaking. When Bottas was stuck there wasn't the difference between him and those around him. That said Hamilton is just a natural racer - even when things don't look good he keeps working so he can take any chance when it comes. I think Bottas, like Kimi, or Alonso, can loose focus when a podium doesn't seem to be on the cards.

Hamilton’s charge was after the red flag when everyone got the option of car repairs & new tyres as far as I know. The McLarens swapped to the red ‘softs’ at that point whereas most went for mediums. I think it was Hamilton’s skills plus DRS versus slower Ferrari and a McLaren who’s tyres were fading. 

Bottas was his usual self when stuck in midfield - stuck.

Perez was doing his best to make the Gasly & Albon era seem normal & high performing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I feel there has been little regard by Bottas for Russell following the latter's race in Lewis's car last year, when he basically showed Bottas up big time. George had qualified within a gnat's knacker of Bottas and then ran away with the race until the team messed it all up. Toto will not be pleased with the two of them, but some needle was/is inevitable after that 2020 race. So having a Williams, driven by George, try to overtake, was not what Bottas needed. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold

Not particularly surprising the adrenaline was flowing more than reason after that crash. As DC said what will be telling is his reaction to it once he calms down. I think DC said what he expects him to do, ie take it on the chin and apologise. 

• Agree 3