The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2021

Oldddudders

Of course we expect Horner & Co to bleat to the TV coverage given a fraction of a chance.  Just about every team will be on race radio to report even the slightest perceived misdemeanour by an opponent.  Things are said in the heat of the moment or to try to influence the stewards.  However it is the subsequent failure to accept as a "racing incident" and threats of action by the Red Bull management that is concerning.

This year Max and Lewis have developed a classic rivalry that appears to be based on mutual respect.  I just hope that Max is not being coerced into driving more aggressively by Red Bull hotheads in the paddock and in glass towers.

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, njee20 said:

11 hours ago, ianwales said:

Don't get the issue with the flag. Good for drivers to show patriotism, all for that. He did no one any harm. 

If a member of his pit crew gave it to him there's no issue, but, if a marshal has then that marshal has encroached on a "live" track which is a no no.

It is the reason you won't see British marshals waving flags at trackside at the end as is done at overseas circuits, stems from an incident a few years back at I think Donnington where the winner had taken the chequred flag, but, a incident occured further down the field blocking the track and because of other flags being waved the drivers on their "cooling down" lap missed the yellows being waved to warn of the incident and a couple of marshals got hurt, so ever since the flag marshals stay at their post until we are told all cars are in the pits.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I don't think it was the case with Lewis, but didn't Ayrton Senna take an Austrian flag with him into the cockpit of his Williams before the fatal crash at Imola?  (In honour of Roland Ratzenburger, who was killed earlier in that awful weekend). 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

I can only remember a short section of the wind down lap where it looked like someone gave him the flag but he wasn't on the actual racing section of the track at the time?

Though I'm wondering why some people on here are making so much of it when no-one else seems to be? Surely if it had been done illegally it would have been reported by now.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, EddieB said:

I don't think it was the case with Lewis, but didn't Ayrton Senna take an Austrian flag with him into the cockpit of his Williams before the fatal crash at Imola?  (In honour of Roland Ratzenburger, who was killed earlier in that awful weekend). 

I have heard the same but not sure if it is was true or an urban myth, it sounds plausible though.

• Like 1

Regardless of the RB constant moaning, it was a cracking recovery. Reminiscent of Mansells charge on Piquet.

The atmosphere was fantastic, the crowd were behind him all the way and behaved, unlike the previous week at Wembley.

Looking forward to more close racing.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, ianwales said:

If a member of his pit crew gave it to him there's no issue, but, if a marshal has then that marshal has encroached on a "live" track which is a no no.

Lewis pulls up alongside the marshal point and gesticulates - marshal steps onto runoff area adjacent to his martial point and hands Lewis a flag. I mean... I get it's a technical infraction (from what you're saying - I don't know the grounds on which a martial is allowed to enter a 'live' track); but to me that's on par with deleting lap times for cars that slide wide on corners losing loads of time!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hobby said:

I can only remember a short section of the wind down lap where it looked like someone gave him the flag but he wasn't on the actual racing section of the track at the time?

Though I'm wondering why some people on here are making so much of it when no-one else seems to be? Surely if it had been done illegally it would have been reported by now.

By Horner and Co.

• Funny 3

2 hours ago, 37114 said:

I have heard the same but not sure if it is was true or an urban myth, it sounds plausible though.

It was true as far as I know  from memory.Senna was badly affected by Ratzenbergers death and nearly didnt race .Not sure he had ever faced a death before on track as the last driver to die was Paletti ,not sure when , but years before.A hasty wiki will reveal all but I am lazy.Senna was the first" carbon "racer who realised that crashes were no longer fatal...hard way to find out your wrong .

Edited by friscopete
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

British Grand Prix: F1 teams could face penalties if they visit race stewards without an invitation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/57933378

So a warning to Horner, I heard the Masi & Toto exchange and it was a clear invite. I love Horner saying Team Principals shouldn’t interfere when that’s exactly what he did!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

British Grand Prix: F1 teams could face penalties if they visit race stewards without an invitation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/57933378

I have sort of seen this from the steward's point of view. I was brought up with speedway. My father was an announcer so I saw most meetings from the referee's box & was taught to give them space when any incident occurred. It also allowed me to observe a more neutral point of view.

In speedway, team managers are free to phone the referee after a decision (in team meetings, riders are not allowed, but this does not often apply to F1 because the drivers are obviously on the track). For those who do not know, a speedway match or "meeting" is a series of short races.

Team managers contested virtually every decision, even starting infringements where the referee had a perfect view across the start & team managers were at completely the wrong angle. It soon becomes clear that they see what they want to see, regardless of their personality.

It always amused me when a rider visited the referees box after the meeting to watch juniors on the track; they always remarked what a great view they had from up there, yet the managers always felt that they could see better from the first bend!

If you've read this far, it will come as no surprise that referees seldom change their minds, especially if there are no replays available (there are usually none for most speedway league matches).

Managers actually visiting the referee were very rare. If anyone stomped up to the box, they were very angry & provided quite an intimidating confrontation. The phone therefore very much reduced confrontation

That is for a league match for a relatively modest sport, but it is still motorsport & managers do what they can to fight for their team.

Now step it up a notch: F1 is not at all modest. The stakes are very high, especially after an incident in a Grand Prix series involving the championship leaders, so emotions run equally high.

I really don't think it is such a good idea for people to just go & visit the stewards as & when they please.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

So a warning to Horner, I heard the Masi & Toto exchange and it was a clear invite. I love Horner saying Team Principals shouldn’t interfere when that’s exactly what he did!

He did indeed. It was after he stated he sent an email with a diagram to explain his interpretation of the rule.

Only Masi knows his opinion of Wolff & Horner. Maybe he felt that Wolff could be calm & diplomatic enough to be trusted to see them?

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

I was thinking today, which I sometimes do, and I was wondering what options are available to VB and George Russell.

Firstly VB is playing the long game, he is playing the perfect No 2 and in the hope of not only retaining the seat, but also that Lewis struggles with the 2022 Car, and he doesn't. That might give him a crack at getting enough wins to grab the Crown.

Now if that happens, and Toto has said he will decide over the Summer break, where does that leave GR?  He can stay at Williams I presume, but if not, there are no real choices left on the grid.

We know that Ferrari, McLaren, Aston Martin and probably Alpine are sorted for 2022. We also know that Red Bull will probably stick with Checo, or maybe risk Gasley again, and put Checo in the Alpha Touri.

And its unlikely he would want to go to Alfa Romeo or Hass.

If Toto does take the gamble, and GR does go to Merc, VB has 3 choices as I see it; Alfa Romeo replacing Kimi, as widely rumoured, back to Williams in a strait swap, or go Rallying / Retire.

Has anyone any other thoughts?

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

REPORT: F2 Drivers Callum Ilott and Robert Schwartzman Front Runners to Replace Antonio Giovinazzi at Alfa Romeo.

https://www.essentiallysports.com/f1-news-report-f2-drivers-callum-ilott-and-robert-schwartzman-front-runners-to-replace-antonio-giovinazzi-at-alfa-romeo/?fbclid=IwAR0crrhol2HwVRaVzQeks_GbkPYWrFc4oikaqLxbo6-HV1QXz294bUY-O-k

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

On 21/07/2021 at 17:37, PaulRhB said:

”Two-time champion Fernando Alonso and Leclerc both said it was a 'racing incident' in which neither driver was more to blame than the other.

And remember Alonso and Hamilton didn’t have a good time together at McLaren. Unless they’ve make up big time it’s not something to be said lightly.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Reading that headline, for a second I thought it said that Hamilton had resigned from F1.

Cheers

Darius

• Agree 5

7 hours ago, Andrew P said:

It is not a bad shout, Giovinazzi has hardly set the world on fire, he is unlikely to get promoted to Ferrari for a few years even if he was performing...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Another good driver looking for a seat in 2022.

Alex Albon on life as Red Bull's reserve - and his chances of returning to the F1 grid in 2022

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.alex-albon-on-life-as-red-bulls-reserve-and-his-chances-of-returning-to-the.1GFgDdqjfGZROvi1uz2YbX.html?fbclid=IwAR24ylJAhrSZZGT_kCwhNVsfrQn5r8Us4gII1oMYF9QBRZP-xzpXlc2RdK8

• Like 1