The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2021

Oldddudders

1 hour ago, didcot said:

Didn't Seb pull up a bit smartish after the chequered flag. That's assuming my memory is correct. Which would indicate a potential problem. 

I reckon he stopped on the cool down lap and ran back to the pits because the team knew he was borderline on fuel levels so told him to stop the car to preserve as much as they could so failing to be able to extract enough from the car is no surprise. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Just been watching the Silverstone Classic highlights on ITV4. Good to see Classic F1 cars racing in the Murray Walker Challenge Cup. Lovely bit after with Damon Hill. Might have shed a tear or two. The trophies for the British GP had Murray's face on. Nice touch.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

April 1st was a few months back

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

12 hours ago, Andrew P said:

There could be a logic in that. He’s used to having a ferociously quick team mate but is capable of holding his own, sometimes.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

More than some drivers, Bottas has off-days, when the planets don't align and his car is a dog. The crash with Russell at Imola was a classic case - what was the Williams doing anywhere near him? Arguably at Hungaroring Bottas had a Big Off Day, and that was a poor way to start the Summer break. But Perez has a hunger Bottas seldom shows. I wouldn't be making that swap, and nor will that nice Dr Marko, I bet. 

• Agree 4

4 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

More than some drivers, Bottas has off-days, when the planets don't align and his car is a dog. The crash with Russell at Imola was a classic case - what was the Williams doing anywhere near him? Arguably at Hungaroring Bottas had a Big Off Day, and that was a poor way to start the Summer break. But Perez has a hunger Bottas seldom shows. I wouldn't be making that swap, and nor will that nice Dr Marko, I bet. 

I wouldn't swap the 2 either.

I am not sure I agree with Perez having a hunger which Bottas doesn't though.

Bottas has good days when he out-performs Hamilton, often on a Saturday when he occasionally out-performs Hamilton.

Perez has been in the RB for half a season now but has not come close to Verstappen either in qualifying or in a race.

None of RB's last 4 drivers (Kvyat, Gasly or Albon) have come close to Verstappen. The last 2 in particular impressed at Toro Rosso & Gasly has impressed since returning to them (now Alpha Tauri). Many would argue that Verstappen is simply way ahead of everyone else & dismiss the possibility that the team will favour one driver. I have my doubts about this.

I hear no references anywhere to Perez's previous stint in a 'better' team. McLaren were not a top team at the time, but they were pretty good & he was consistently out-performed by Button.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

20 hours ago, EddieB said:

True, but April Fools lasts only for a day, the whole of August is “silly season”.

I think the whole season is becoming "silly season". If you have put a foot in a racing car, and your Dutch, that makes you eligible to make headlines with stupid comments.

Edited by Bulleidboy100
amendment
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I think Jack Plooij is a sort of Ziggo Sport (Dutch F1 broadcaster) equivalent of Ted Kravitz, being there or thereabouts in the pitlane. Their studio presenters include former F1 driver Robert Doornbos, who James Allen once usefully identified as "having the biggest helmet in F1", a comment that Martin Brundle wisely declined to pursue. Interestingly, I read that Doornbos's business interests include a firm making sex toys. 

Ziggo is owned by Liberty Global, which is not unconnected to the Liberty we all know and love in F1. 

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

3 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Isn't a direct statement of support, like that, the usual precursor to a rapid dismissal??

• Agree 2

Maye its Bottas that sets the car up for the champ .I have said this before on here that teams retain drivers as they can set a car up and identify issues that the team hot shot ignores or in some cases not bright enough to know  .Hakkinnen was the hot shot but not the set up guy.Barichello  was  a set up wizard for several teams.Brawn and Stewart at least .A top dog at Stewart told  me  grumpily ,when I congratulated him on  Herberts win,(I can crawl like the best of them ) that the wrong driver won .It was Barichello that did all the work .It really surprised me that he said  it to me.Barichello was very  quick driver but lacked that final killer speed that the hot shots have  .Button had it ,not sure Herbert did  .He had trouble braking with his damaged feet.Its that quick lap when the team ask for it .Bottas doesnt ,Hamilton does. Perhaps some one at Red Bull  has finally said "get me a  f&*%$£@g set up  guy "  in a German accent .Who knows? maybe Max is losing  a sector  or two because of a failing  dynamic spring rate or its equivelent .Maybe Bottas can find it for him .It could of course  ,and probably is ,bowlacks , part of F1"s summer break fun . When the racing stops but the gamesmanship doesnt .

Edited by friscopete
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, friscopete said:

Maye its Bottas that sets the car up for the champ .I have said this before on here that teams retain drivers as they can set a car up and identify issues that the team hot shot ignores or in some cases not bright enough to know  .Hakkinnen was the hot shot but not the set up guy.Barichello  was  a set up wizard for several teams.Brawn and Stewart at least .A top dog at Stewart told  me  grumpily ,when I congratulated him on  Herberts win,(I can crawl like the best of them ) that the wrong driver won .It was Barichello that did all the work .It really surprised me that he said  it to me.Barichello was very  quick driver but lacked that final killer speed that the hot shots have  .Button had it ,not sure Herbert did  .He had trouble braking with his damaged feet.Its that quick lap when the team ask for it .Bottas doesnt ,Hamilton does. Perhaps some one at Red Bull  has finally said "get me a  f&*%$£@g set up  guy "  in a German accent .Who knows? maybe Max is losing  a sector  or two because of a failing  dynamic spring rate or its equivelent .Maybe Bottas can find it for him .It could of course  ,and probably is ,bowlacks , part of F1"s summer break fun . When the racing stops but the gamesmanship doesnt .

Irvine claimed that he was the one who found the good setups while he was driving for Ferrari with Schumacher. He claims that Schumacher was poor at this but managed to go unbelievably fast with whatever setup they finished with.

Irvine did seem to have a large ego so I am not sure how much of what he says is just hot air.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1