Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Formula 1 2021

Oldddudders

Variable conditions for qualifying again, which does tend to sort out the men from the boys.  Which perhaps underlines the potential of young master Schumacher.  What is it with Danny Ricc - struggling again to find form and consistency?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

The McLarens are not on it this weekend as they were for the last couple of races. Merc have the best result they could have hoped for, in first and eleventh places. How long Bottas will fend off Max for is open to some conjecture, measured in corners or laps according to your belief in the Finn.

The general astonishment in FP1 at the sudden improvement in grip levels over 2020 seems to have been addressed better in some teams than others.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

48 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

The McLarens are not on it this weekend as they were for the last couple of races. Merc have the best result they could have hoped for, in first and eleventh places. How long Bottas will fend off Max for is open to some conjecture, measured in corners or laps according to your belief in the Finn.

The general astonishment in FP1 at the sudden improvement in grip levels over 2020 seems to have been addressed better in some teams than others.  

If Max doesn't get VB before the first corner, then there could be a coming together I think. 

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

If Max doesn't get VB before the first corner, then there could be a coming together I think. 

And I'd guess that if that does happen, VB will know how to ensure he's not the only one taken out from watching his team-mate.....

Then LH just needs to carve through the others ahead of him.

John

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

11 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

How long Bottas will fend off Max for is open to some conjecture, measured in corners or laps according to your belief in the Finn.

11 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Max will be long gone by the first corner and if he isn't Vaterri will let him past like last time out... That's my prediction!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

I have to say that I tend to agree with VB & Max on this, at least as far as the record books are concerned if not the actual grid position: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/oct/09/valtteri-bottas-turkish-f1-gp-pole-lewis-hamilton-max-verstappen

Hamilton has a record 101 poles already under his belt and clocking up numbers clearly does not keep the world champion awake at night... He said he wanted to ensure he started as high up the field as possible and duly delivered with a lap that was the class of the field and a track record. But not pole number 102.

All three drivers agreed that F1 should address the clear incongruity that, when penalties are applied, the sport does not honour the quickest driver as having taken pole.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

If pole position attracted the extra point that has been discussed over the years, then the present failure to recognise the fastest legal lap would be a bit more debatable. As it is, it's solely about glory (and starting position, of course) - and that pays nobody's bills. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

There’s a point for fastest lap in the race so why extra rewards in qualifying over grid position too? MB used it tactically this weekend to hopefully limit points damage and without penalties it gives you clean air and track position.

My question would be how many more incentives do they need? ;) 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Hobby said:

Max will be long gone by the first corner and if he isn't Vaterri will let him past like last time out... That's my prediction!

Got that wrong, well done Valterri! 

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3

9 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

I have to say that I tend to agree with VB & Max on this, at least as far as the record books are concerned if not the actual grid position: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/oct/09/valtteri-bottas-turkish-f1-gp-pole-lewis-hamilton-max-verstappen

Hamilton has a record 101 poles already under his belt and clocking up numbers clearly does not keep the world champion awake at night... He said he wanted to ensure he started as high up the field as possible and duly delivered with a lap that was the class of the field and a track record. But not pole number 102.

All three drivers agreed that F1 should address the clear incongruity that, when penalties are applied, the sport does not honour the quickest driver as having taken pole.

On the other hand, Hamilton effectively gained an "unfair" advantage by using a newer ICU than the other drivers (hence the 10 place penalty), so no, I don't think it should count as LH pole 102.

• RMweb Gold

I looked up Graham Hill's participation in a T70 in CanAm, and it looks like the car is painted for Riverside 1966, in which he finished third. Winner was Surtees, and 5 of the top 7 finishers were T70s. 6th was a McLaren Elva, which I think would have been built by Peter Agg at Trojan, Croydon. British designs - albeit mainly with US engines - really did dominate in the early days of CanAm, and Surtees was the first Champion. Only the Texans in their Chaparrals got an occasional look-in. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, didcot said:

Horner having another moan.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/58870237

Certainly Bottas never looked threatened by Max yesterday, albeit he was carrying less wing than Lewis. Mid-season, it was all looking good for RB, but now the tables are more even, at least. With the two heroes flip-flopping, surely this is the season everyone hoped for, although not all of you thought it was much of a race, evidently. I thought it was absorbing up and down the field, lots of recovery drives etc. Sainz's progress from the back row was well-monitored on screen during periods when the leaders were steady-state. And while the rain didn't tumble down like Sochi, it remained an unknown until the flag. Had it come down harder, all those on bald Inters might have had a tough time. I thought Gasly was hard done-by, but I haven't seen all the angles. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, didcot said:

Horner having another moan.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/58870237

I don't recall TW having a moan at the beginning of the season, when all of a sudden the Red Bulls appeared to have more power. As has been said before, if there is any moaning to be done CH is first in the queue.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Certainly Bottas never looked threatened by Max yesterday, albeit he was carrying less wing than Lewis. Mid-season, it was all looking good for RB, but now the tables are more even, at least. With the two heroes flip-flopping, surely this is the season everyone hoped for, although not all of you thought it was much of a race, evidently. I thought it was absorbing up and down the field, lots of recovery drives etc. Sainz's progress from the back row was well-monitored on screen during periods when the leaders were steady-state. And while the rain didn't tumble down like Sochi, it remained an unknown until the flag. Had it come down harder, all those on bald Inters might have had a tough time. I thought Gasly was hard done-by, but I haven't seen all the angles. 

The penalty for Gasly, did seem harsh, especially as the stewards, usually give a little more leeway regarding contact on the first lap.

Possibly, after the Hamilton/Verstappen incident in Italy, the stewards are tending towards stricter enforcement regarding any collisions, on the grounds of safety.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

While a close race for the WDC is a good thing, it is vital that LH beats MV, to minimise the airtime that Horner gets.

• Funny 14

49 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

While a close race for the WDC is a good thing, it is vital that LH beats MV, to minimise the airtime that Horner gets.

You don't like him ? I have maximum respect - he got himself a spice girl .

Is it just me or does max V look like Mr Bean ?

• Funny 6