Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Formula 1 2021

Oldddudders

14 minutes ago, didcot said:

Hopefully the Stewards will give a justifiable and harsh penalty.

Not a chance.

5 minutes ago, ess1uk said:

Insane.

level on points?

Next race Max just needs to take Lewis off and he is champion?

As I mentioned earlier. Senna/Prost and Shuey/Hill here we come again.

Edited by Hobby
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Gareth Collier said:

Yet somehow he was voted driver of the race by the viewers which IMHO is a sad indictment of what the average/casual viewer wants to see - crashes.

He got driver of the day with 26% of the vote so not exactly an overwhelming majority.

Cheers

Darius

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Gareth Collier said:

Maybe but he still won it and 26% of voters evidently condone his aggressive driving style.

Which means that 74% do not condone it so, in my mind, that is not the indictment on society that  you think it is.

Cheers

Darius

PS - I don’t agree that Max should be driver of the day as I think he lacks integrity both as a driver and a sportsman.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I thought the booing of both MV and LH disheartening. One thing I have enjoyed about motorsport is that fans were always very fair minded. 

That seems to be sadly changing. Looking at the Autosport online forum the aggressive tone of some members, who cherry pick those details that supports their biased views, is depressing. It is amazing what some of them know about what a driver is doing, how a car is performing etc. from just watching a tv feed. It is getting like football which has the biggest following of know-alls on the planet. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

That was a horror show.

Yet again we see a race screwed over by safety cars & red flags. Why changing tyres is allowed under either just defies belief. The fastest cars/drivers deserve to be at the front on merit, not have it stripped because they can't second guess what the race director is going to do & get unlucky because they are at the wrong place on the track when the SC/VSC is deployed.

Bottas backing up Verstappen during the first SC to allow Merc to double stack deserved attention but if the above was not allowed, this would not have happened.

Verstappen did a practise start when leaving the pits after a red flag.

Hamilton hung back on the 'not formation' lap.

Verstappen left the track while taking a place. This was no different to his incident in Brazil which was deemed not worthy of investigation but, this time, they rightly awarded a penalty. Consistency please!

Negotiating with RB about the penalty. In what other sport have you ever heard that?

Then he left the track while running him off again.

Then when giving back the place, I felt he didn't brake test. Surely when giving a place back, you don't just slow down in the middle of the track? This went uncommented by all the commentators & pundits. I felt Hamilton held back because he felt Verstappen would have driven into him so wanted their speed differential to be low. He was right though: Verstappen weaved into him as he tried to pass. I don't feel he used his brakes, but they were both in low gears & we all know what a car does when you take your foot off the accelerator in a low gear...you get engine braking.

I felt Verstappen deserved a black flag for that incident, but at least his 5 second penalty put Ocon into his pit window, which stopped him stealing the point for the fastest lap.

I find it appalling that neither Verstappen or Horner see anything wrong with his driving & even complain about Hamilton leaving also leaving the track after Verstappen put him there!

Then Verstappen was voted driver of the day? He may be fast but he really doesn't deserve the WC.

I have said it before & I still feel it to be relevant: racing should be on the track. Hamilton mentioned "between the white lines" when interviewed after the race.

The rules may need some sort of overhaul after Abu Dhabi then the stewards need to apply them. It is really not very difficult.

One thing I think they did do fairly well today is to be more prompt with their actions. The red flags gave them a chance to sort out any penalties before the re-start & in the past they have failed to do so. They did today though.

I am sure we'll hear more whinging from Verstappen fans on FB about Hamilton being responsible for his Silverstone crash, but really? If Hamilton had not backed out when he did, he would have been far worse.

I loved Bottas' reaction after he passed Ocon on the line. I was pleased he recovered to 3rd after being a victim of the safety car fiasco.

Hamilton needs to qualify well & disappear at Abu Dhabi or else Verstappen WILL crash him out. He proved that today. Media keeps barking on about how RB were quicker there last year. Both titles were settled several races earlier though.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

Some people think anything, literally anything, is acceptable if you win. Any notions of sportsmanship are quaint, old-fashioned, and stupid to them. The penalty for breaking the rules is merely part of the tactics, to be weighed up against the risks of being penalised and the benefits of breaking them, or at least sailing as close to the wind as possible. Happens in every top-level sport (especially where there's money involved). Sadly I don't really see any way around it, you don't even get to that level if you aren't very, very driven to win as well as having talent.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

49 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Some people think anything, literally anything, is acceptable if you win. Any notions of sportsmanship are quaint, old-fashioned, and stupid to them. The penalty for breaking the rules is merely part of the tactics, to be weighed up against the risks of being penalised and the benefits of breaking them, or at least sailing as close to the wind as possible. Happens in every top-level sport (especially where there's money involved). Sadly I don't really see any way around it, you don't even get to that level if you aren't very, very driven to win as well as having talent.

If the penalties don't deter, then they are not harsh enough.

• Agree 11

It seems Verstappen has been given a further 10s penalty & 2 points on his super licence after the the stewards found telemetry indicating he was slowing at 2.4g when Hamilton clipped him.

The extra 10 seconds made no difference to the race result & the 2 points takes him to 7, so I doubt either will bother him.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Round of applause 1

5 hours ago, Gareth Collier said:

Why do the FIA seem to be negotiating with RB as to where Max restarts?

In fairness, I think it would be normal practice for the stewards to give a driver opportunity to surrender a place before imposing a penalty, and I think MM felt it safer to give Max the opportunity of taking a grid drop than to have him try to surrender the place off the restart, especially given the complication of Ocon being between them. To my mind, an agreement between the teams and MM that Max would drop places on the grid is a fair and gentlemanly solution to the problem.

In terms of the first safety car/red flag, I think it was always likely that the barrier would need repairing, and that Merc had reacted too soon by pitting both cars.

• Like 1

I was dreading this race, and sad to say it was worse than my lowest expectations.

What a farce!  Race action overshadowed by inevitable red flags and decisions off the circuit.

Let’s hope that circuit never gets to host any race beyond JCBs digging it up.

Let the Saudi princelings go back to what they’ve been getting away with for years...

• Agree 4

26 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

If the penalties don't deter, then they are not harsh enough.

Unfortunately the die was cast when previous stewards/race directors let Prost, Senna and Schumacher effectively get away with deliberate collisions (four in nine seasons). To my mind, deliberately causing a collision should mean termination of a driver's career, the difficulty is proving it. 

• Agree 5