The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

This is serious

tigerburnie

Steam railways 'will run out of coal', industry warns - BBC News

Not too sure what can be done, but what a tragedy it would be if locos were to run less and the idea of more pollution from foreign coal makes no sense at all, surely this would be a relatively small operation?

• RMweb Gold

Conversion to oil burning some years ago did not bother the Ffestiniog, and I doubt it will cause any real problems  to other heritage railways.  The Ffestiniog converted back to coal, but showed what can be done.  It may mean that some locos are not as powerful or efficient as they are when coal fired, but I for one would be willing to accept that if it meant the continuance of steam running.  I suspect steam running on main lines is limited in it's future, though.

Sadly it is the environmental lobby against burning coal. HJ Banks tried to get planning permission for a new open cast coal mine recently im the Newcastle area and despite lobbying from parties such as the HRA it was turned down. It now looks like all coal will have to be imported with the additional carbon cost of shopping it halfway round the world not withstanding the financial cost either

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Sadly it is the environmental lobby against burning coal. HJ Banks tried to get planning permission for a new open cast coal mine recently im the Newcastle area and despite lobbying from parties such as the HRA it was turned down.

Conversely, about 3 years ago, they got permission for a new open cast operation near Consett despite huge local objections...

John

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-somerset-55544616

13 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Steam railways 'will run out of coal', industry warns - BBC News

Not too sure what can be done, but what a tragedy it would be if locos were to run less and the idea of more pollution from foreign coal makes no sense at all, surely this would be a relatively small operation?

The final para here suggests CO2 emissions on imported coal are lower. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-somerset-55544616

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Interesting snippet from the bbc article:

It is estimated the heritage railway industry used 26,000 tonnes of coal per year pre-Covid, accounting for 0.02% of the UK's carbon emissions

Any comparative figures for emissions from preservation diesels? And for mainline diesels?

• AY Mod locked this topic