Braeside Models: The Scratchbuild Commissions of Brian McCulloch

The absence of any updates or photography since the summer has reflected mostly on the number of projects that I've been trying to finish.

Not least amongst those have been some brick signal boxes that found their way onto the workbench.

There's been much playing about with laser-cutting as both designs seemed good test pieces for using more machine-cut components alongside my usual materials.

• Like 1

On 22/12/2022 at 22:29, billywhizz said:

The Signalboxes look fantastic! Will they be available to buy? 

They are a one-off commission in 7mm for a client but I am thinking of something North British or Caledonian in 4mm as a kit to see what kind of interest there is.

Edited by brylonscamel
typo
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

First class Brian - brickwork on those NB boxes absolutely authentic for Scottish bond!  Not sure about NB practice but Caledonian were very partial to polychromatic brick decoration (usually pale yellow) for arches, reveals, quoins etc.

• 3 weeks later...

New Galloway bridge

A little piece of the Portpatrick and Wigtownshire Joint Railway (later Caledonian Railway ) has just finished its journey through my studio.

The railway has gone but the bridge remains to carry the A762 over what's left of the original track-bed.

Despite my client giving a good set of drawings and photos, there was a bit of faff, making sure that it had clearances for coarse scale track (PECO code 100) and a cork track-bed.

So I made a simple card mock-up from my drawings ..

bm-new-galloway-bridge-mockup.jpg

bm-new-galloway-bridge-mockup-01.jpg.45c37386f55e2475118d7e325c338843.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 9

.. applying sheets of clay in the manner of a pastry chef, gives a good starting point for the scribing process. I allow for 1mm or greater depth, so I can dig around a bit, especially with more 'rustic' stone courses! 

The visible gaps show that it's a bridge in 3 x separate pieces, allowing access parts of the bridge more easily when scribing - especially the underside of the arch.

bm-new-galloway-clay-carcass-01.jpg.502e98524e898acf22482c48c68a0867.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 11

20 hours ago, David Bell said:

Absolutely superb Brian

Cheers David - another adventure into reproducing a new type of structure. It was originally considered as a potential resin-cast but ended up as a straightforward commission. Fortunately it turned out well and my client is happy.

• 3 weeks later...

The 'Fife coast' buildings have returned home.

I'm really happy with the look of them but they didn't fit with the Aberdeenshire theme on Dad's harbourside.

With everything else being granite and slate, these interlopers with sandstone walls and pantile roofs looked out-of-place.

They always fitted nicely behind my harbourside diorama so this is likely to be their permanent home.

With commission work turning 'nautical' for a while, this will be a useful diorama.

bm-diorama-coastal-fife-buildings-03.jpg.0b485d21b24c4c990395468fcc5ee64b.jpg

bm-diorama-coastal-fife-buildings-02.jpg.3714a0536f7ba1136e944345e9435394.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 1