Braeside Models: The Scratchbuild Commissions of Brian McCulloch

Walk the Talk

I've been invited - I suspect out of desperation - to give a short talk at the Abingdon Exhibition on Saturday afternoon.

My aim is to encourage modellers to have a go at scratch-building and add life to their buildings.

I'll bring the little east coast harbourside diorama as a talking piece.

If anyone is thinking of making a day of it, your company would be very welcome.

advert-abrail-2023-1920.jpg.22b501da0004eefa16e8dabb7c45e53e.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 3

• 1 month later...

Looks good Brian.

The Highland goods sheds were notionally to common designs but the reality was a bit different.  Yours seems, to me, to be unusual in that it did not have an office within it (and hence no brick chimney) and the windows have either lost their mullions or had the windows changed outright.

I think they are also all built on a brick or stone plinths; I think yours has been lost in the midst of time as the ground was built up with muck or fill.  I think it is still visible rail side though?  Mind you, mine doesn't have a plinth either!

On my shed, I found that the ends warped over the top of the railway entrance doors and then broke.  I had to introduce some metal bracing to overcome this.  Hopefully the same does not befall you!

• Like 1

HR goods sheds, as Mark says, were the same but different, especially when it came to offices. There were internal ones, external ones and it seems some with none... It is difficult to ascertain from photos the extent of alterations over the years , particularly from the board and batten exterior where any changes  can soon blend in to the existing structure. Wick was a case in point, with a demolished attached office that when newly done showed up as a ghost on the replaced wall cladding, and a few years later had blended in with the remainder of the structure. Every external office seems to have been different, which is strange considering the apparent uniformity of the basic  shed structure, and Thurso had an extensive attachment that vanished in the early sixties, its presence  indicated by the footage. It was one of the many aspects of railway operation that appeared to have been unrecorded in image - there are glimpses in several photos, but two pictures have emerged that show the building. Here is a crop from one of them. As an aside, the doors were latterly a chocolate brown as opposed to the overall creosote, but by the eighties they had faded to be indistinguishable from the equally faded walls.

Thurso officecrop.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 12/05/2023 at 23:45, 26power said:

..  I think the sides on the real thing are/were “board and batten” construction?   i.e. where the joins between boards are covered with a small batten.  Of course, you might already be aware of this!

Yes, the batten construction was something I was aware of and I did fudge, partly due to our budget.

Nigel's version of Thurso coincides with the last days of the shed and I struggled with a test piece to get the combination of repaired and original battens, which remained a feature of the shed.

The layout is quite big and has broad sweeps of landscape so the overall proportions, colour and weathering of the shed should be enough to capture the spirit of the building.

I have some thoughts on adding battens to any future timber structures. The joinery style is used widely in Scotland, so I need a good method.

Using the cutter, I can get a sheet of styrene with equally-spaced strips to represent battens. It needs refining to get the right spacing and material thickness but it shows promise ...

bm-battens-test.jpg.2420b21454dea2d269609ee15906f396.jpg

bm-battens-test-01.jpg.ce651ad4c1c87e9862e7f3b7c58df57b.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
text amends
  • Like 4

On 12/05/2023 at 13:38, Portchullin Tatty said:

I think they are also all built on a brick or stone plinths; I think yours has been lost in the midst of time as the ground was built up with muck or fill.  I think it is still visible rail side though?  Mind you, mine doesn't have a plinth either!

These things seem to raise all sorts of questions, even when they belong to a standard design pattern and you have reference photos! I can't see evidence of the brickwork in photos but we may be missing the angle that reveals the rail-side constrution.

On 12/05/2023 at 13:38, Portchullin Tatty said:

I found that the ends warped over the top of the railway entrance doors and then broke.  I had to introduce some metal bracing to overcome this.  Hopefully the same does not befall you!

I hope to avoid any warping! It affected some of my earlier models, especially open structures like goods or engine sheds. Foamex is my current material-of-choice for carcasses and it seems to hold it's shape well without relying on bracing, even at 2 or 3mm thickness. I found Cyano/Superglue and 'UHO POR' are good adhesives when using high-density polystyrene. Cyano for structural joints and POR for layering materials onto the structure, including porous materials (card etc.) and non-porous (sheet styrene etc.). With these adhesives you don't get differential drying issues which can bedevil laminate construction.

Edited by brylonscamel
bad grammar
  • Informative/Useful 3

14 minutes ago, stevel said:

I believe Evergreen make a board and batten styrene sheet, in various spacings, item 4542 that may be of use.

6 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

If you can get it this is also really good..

https://www.northeasternscalelumber.com/products/board-batten.html

Oh! Thanks Steve and Chris - much appreciated info!

• Like 1

Thumbs up for the Evergreen - a great time saver, and available in three widths as well although the 4543 is the one I most use. Here is a crop showing the footage of Thurso shed - it did exist but latterly debris had built up so much around it  that it was hardly apparent.

B Atholl dockzgvfcrop.jpg

Edited by Ben Alder
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, brylonscamel said:

Yes, the batten construction was something I was aware of and I did fudge, partly due to our budget.

Nigel's version of Thurso coincides with the last days of the shed and I struggled with a test piece to get the combination of repaired and original battens, which remained a feature of the shed.

The layout is quite big and has broad sweeps of landscape so the overall proportions, colour and weathering of the shed should be enough to capture the spirit of the building.

The context you describe helps understanding of the choices made.  Looking at the Highland Council pictures of the Brora shed it is surprising how small the cross section of the battens are/were, and that they are more semi-circular than square cornered.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, curlypaws said:

I love seeing the different stages of it coming together. Your finished models are stunning, so it helps show all the work that goes in to making them look so good.

Thanks - in which case I'll carry on with posts that show my 'workings out'!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 23/06/2023 at 17:47, brylonscamel said:

There are a couple of diorama models and resin-cast buildings that found new homes or were broken up. Before that, I messed about with combining them into photo-friendly scenes.

This is one of my favourites ..

bm-diorama-hillside-FB-09.jpg.2377bbcb4d5a3716f46e8c0170e07c41.jpg

Outstanding, Brian. It's really, really difficult to tell the difference with the real thing, especially with the lighting, which is just right.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1