Braeside Models: The Scratchbuild Commissions of Brian McCulloch

12 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

.. especially with the lighting, which is just right.

.. thank you - one of the joys of these smaller layouts & dioramas is that I get to photograph in outdoor light. It makes a big difference with all the natural shadows.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The latest commission that is emerging from the cutting mat is a Kent Fire Brigade station model in 1:76

Here are some of the detailed components in close-up that will bring it to life ..

bm-sheppey-fire-station-DETAILS-05.jpg

bm-sheppey-fire-station-DETAILS-02c.jpg

bm-sheppey-fire-station-DETAILS-02b.jpg

bm-sheppey-fire-station-DETAILS-02a.jpg

bm-sheppey-fire-station-DETAILS-04.jpg

bm-sheppey-fire-station-DETAILS-03.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...

A little piece of Kirkcudbrightshire

The latest contribition to my client's rendition of New Galloway is this  stone and slate station building.

Working exclusively from a thin collection of B&W photographs, we managed to reproduce the building in some degree of authenticity.

My client - Steven - had a crack it himself but handed it on to me as he's rather consumed with making a maltings!

Whilst photos of the platform-side, we could only find one angle on the entrance - a photo with the grainiest of early photography. Most of which was obscured by vintage charabancs!

IMG-20230615-WA0003.jpg.71697fe0cb954b8a24a054d60ef023dd.jpg

05.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 13

• 1 month later...

Portfolio Career!?
As well as model-making, I work part-time as a cycle mechanic / tea boy at my friend's bike shop and found myself recently covering staff holidays.
But I am always happy to return to the miniature projects.

Edited by brylonscamel
Brevity
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, brylonscamel said:

The full building was moelled, including the tenement backs, in blonde sandstone ..

gqs-tenements-07-SMALL.jpg

Very impressive work Brian. The picture below wasn't taken in Scotland, but from our roof and I immediately thought of it when I saw your model.

I hope it demonstrates better than words the attention to detail and aged stonework you have achieved.

IMG_20220918_145443.jpg.9b92c3a6912f4b055831a97f2fe20b84.jpg

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

4 hours ago, brylonscamel said:

David's commission of a some Glasgow Tenements trundled along rather slowly over recent months.

But my I made good on my promise, delivering a set of  bespoke tenements to him this week.

Here is the finished article, as it left the studio yesterday ..

gqs-tenements-06-SMALL.jpg

Incredible work. Reminds me a lot of when I spent time with a lady who lived near Queens Park station. Does it come with authentic sound and scent? The smell of old lager and oppressive silence when you walk in the joint. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

23 hours ago, MrWolf said:

The picture below wasn't taken in Scotland, but from our roof and I immediately thought of it when I saw your model.

Thanks for the lovely feedback - you say the photo is not Scotland but I am intrigued to where it is as the double-lapped and purple-tinged slate look very Scottish.

2 hours ago, Portchullin Tatty said:

Your sign-writer had best be finished quick because if the station manager gets back and finds the appliance entrance to his station blocked by this van, he'll be for the high jump!

Mark - you're right - I've already been told to scram!

They were especially unhappy when told that I was 'taking selfies and updating my socials '
PS you may recognise the miniature figure ... 

bm-sheppey-fire-station-FINAL-01.jpg

Edited by brylonscamel
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 1

• 1 month later...