Exeter St Davids

bootneckbob

• RMweb Premium
On 02/05/2022 at 22:11, bootneckbob said:

today mocked up the Exeter Signal Panel Box. 

Hi Bob

I had a go at that in 2010 for my Exford Park layout.

40_SBcloseup_291110.jpg.48c3c63bc0fdbfa0130baa2b89c8340e.jpg

It is now in place on the 'new' Exford layout in my shed, although it either needs some TLC or a rebuild.

899645361_124_NSIV500037_211224.jpg.166db0b1072901dbf6d84e0249d86d6b.jpg

I like the look of the developing layout, I wanted to model Exeter St Davids but couldn't make it fit in the space I had available.

• Like 7

55 minutes ago, Temeraire said:

Hi Bob

I had a go at that in 2010 for my Exford Park layout.

40_SBcloseup_291110.jpg.48c3c63bc0fdbfa0130baa2b89c8340e.jpg

It is now in place on the 'new' Exford layout in my shed, although it either needs some TLC or a rebuild.

899645361_124_NSIV500037_211224.jpg.166db0b1072901dbf6d84e0249d86d6b.jpg

I like the look of the developing layout, I wanted to model Exeter St Davids but couldn't make it fit in the space I had available.

That's really good.

I know what you mean about the space for St Davids. Probably the same for many stations, but I could either have the TMD or the sweeping incline to Exeter Central; I chose the TMD!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Remember how on page 2 I said I thought my trackplan was as good as it could be after so many years of planning? Well last night sat looking at the fiddle yard trying to work out where I could stow 3 inter city MK3 sleepers (if I buy them) I had a bit of an epiphany. 

Anyway, little bit of trackwork carried out tonight, no additional track or points needed. 

I've included a pic I've done on Anyrail. Anything not labeled (grey) is sidings which converge back to the mainlines on the otherside (out of the picture).

So this change means The 3 car DMU (Exeter to Barnstaple) goes under Cowley Bridge and off the scenic section then can pull into the red siding (Barnstaple) and wait to return, or park up off the head shunt. It also means the track cleaning wagons (x2) I had in the other siding are now just off the main line with only one set of points to reverse over before they can begin the track cleaning. This is much better than reversing them over multiple points. It also means that I can have another loco siting in that siding waiting to take a turn on any incoming passenger trains; or freight. I have another siding on the other side for the same reason.

Oh, and the sleepers; there's loads of room in the top fiddle yard if they don't go in this siding. There's no need for the DMU to park up so the sleepers can stay there ready to be brought out for the sleeper service. 

20220819 fiddleyard change.png

Edited by bootneckbob
  • Like 4

On 19/08/2022 at 23:25, bootneckbob said:

Remember how on page 2 I said I thought my trackplan was as good as it could be after so many years of planning? Well last night sat looking at the fiddle yard trying to work out where I could stow 3 inter city MK3 sleepers (if I buy them) I had a bit of an epiphany. 

Anyway, little bit of trackwork carried out tonight, no additional track or points needed. 

I've included a pic I've done on Anyrail. Anything not labeled (grey) is sidings which converge back to the mainlines on the otherside (out of the picture).

So this change means The 3 car DMU (Exeter to Barnstaple) goes under Cowley Bridge and off the scenic section then can pull into the red siding (Barnstaple) and wait to return, or park up off the head shunt. It also means the track cleaning wagons (x2) I had in the other siding are now just off the main line with only one set of points to reverse over before they can begin the track cleaning. This is much better than reversing them over multiple points. It also means that I can have another loco siting in that siding waiting to take a turn on any incoming passenger trains; or freight. I have another siding on the other side for the same reason.

Oh, and the sleepers; there's loads of room in the top fiddle yard if they don't go in this siding. There's no need for the DMU to park up so the sleepers can stay there ready to be brought out for the sleeper service. 

20220819 fiddleyard change.png

A minor but very useful change Bob.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

So time to recap on the week off. Got most of the trunking done and track painted to allow a bit more ballasting and ground work to be done in the area north of Red Cow; more specifically around the transfer shed. I also got a pretty good first go mock up of the transfer shed made too.

I did a bit of landscaping prep for the semi detached house that resides (will reside) by the bus stop on Cowley Bridge road. I also did a little bit of landscaping in the problem area around the Red Cow crossing and the Bay platform. It's where there's really not enough space to fit in what I'd like. The track went right up to the edge of the board but that stems back from one of the earlier versions of the track plan and initial build / laying of the track. The layout was to be viewed from the other direction; effectively seen from the front of the station not behind as it is now. Although it's a problem area, trying to solve it and make it look good has been very enjoyable. Has it worked? Too early to tell. 

The platforms were worked on a bit more with plasticard, but you won't really see that detail till later. I took the opportunity now to temporarily 'fix' them in place to make sure the clearances are good for all trains; "mind the gap". Enough not to cause issues, not so much it looks like you would need to extend a plank to get to get onboard.  

Finally I got the tunnel portals fixed in position and started the landscaping, also did a bit on Cowley Bridge in the same way.

I also did a bit of work on the house but way short of where I wanted to be. Shame it rained and kept me in the shed. :-)

IMG_20220821_184931.jpg

IMG_20220821_184950.jpg

IMG_20220821_185115.jpg

IMG_20220821_185040.jpg

IMG_20220821_185134.jpg

Edited by bootneckbob
  • Like 18

I was just looking back through some of the early build photos and thought I'd put these two up now side by side (so to speak). The original intent to keep Bonhay road going under the viaduct, then over the river Exe and Plymouth bound lines, via made up road over the river and rail bridges. The river narrowed in the gap between the high and low ground to nothing, massive forced perspective! All of which was very tight and left the incline up to Exeter Central looking like it was going into Mt Eiger, not some 1 in 37 climb into some raised Devon high ground. In the end I decided to omit the road altogether and alter the course of the river to run under the viaduct instead.

Either way there had to be some modelling licence taken. Now it's looking 70% finished what do you think, right or wrong decision?

IMG_20200515_192559.jpg

IMG_20220822_115058.jpg

Edited by bootneckbob
  • Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 23/08/2022 at 22:44, bootneckbob said:

Couldn't resist as I had something to stick it to!

IMG_20220823_204710.jpg

Just tried it for size. I think I'll be able to get away with printing my own signs in due course.

You might need a few strategic watering cans lying around for topping DMU radiators up…

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Turned 50 this week and thinking I need to push on a bit with this! Started as a plan in my head 2008 or '10 and had a couple of revisions to the track plan through house moves over the years. Think 2018 was where this version got going. Would be nice to get the rest of the ground work done before 2023. Only the basics though. 

Better get dressed and back in the shed today. Might have some better pictures later but this one was taken yesterday too. I was doing the platform sides and added a bit of ballast around the down track (platform 4). All of this will need a really heavy weathering as the lines were black. Hope my airbrush still works when I get it out again; much to do!

I might get on with the far platforms (1, 2 & 3) today. At least it will feel like I've achieved something with my mini break and time off.

IMG_20221028_175649.jpg

• Like 13

Well the weekend is all but over and I didn't get as far as platform 1 & 2, but I did push on with 3 & 4. Got the airbrush out and it all worked fine; Iwata and well worth the money. Decided to do the platform white edge by hand. As usual for me, this isn't the finished look, just the first of many layers. 

So the pictures show the 3 platforms in different stages of build/finish, and one of me working on it on my very untidy bench!

IMG_20221030_170955.jpg

IMG_20221030_171003.jpg

IMG_20221029_145425.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Airbrush went tits up after the last outing! Although I did a full strip and clean it didn't work and I was pretty sure the nozzle was still broken/blocked. Anyway, last night I had ago at cleaning with IPA, as the price for dedicated airbrush cleaner is mental. That has definitely cleared the nozzle, I can see the needle tip now able to come through. Hopefully it will work now and I've not damaged it along the way. Off to the shed shortly to find out. Going to do a bit more on Red Cow crossing today and the platforms. I also had something delivered in the post which I picked up from E Bay. I'll put a photo up later, but I think it will look great in about 15 years when I'm nearly done!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Well the good news is the airbrush works and the bad news is I didn't didn't take the E Bay photo today; maybe tomorrow!

I did do a bit more on the crossing and the platforms, but I only took some quick pictures of the crossing. Should be good to look back at the progress of it from start to finish. For now it's just messy plaster work.

IMG_20221105_140140.jpg

IMG_20221105_140113.jpg

IMG_20221105_140148.jpg

• Like 13

Ok so another weekend over, and I made a good start on the final platform. This needed joining together as it was in 4 bits and a touch under 3m in length. Foam board was added to make the retaining walls and overhangs plus plasticard gluing on. I've attached a picture of the real part of platform 1, plus my version which shows the slightly more interesting end of the platform. It's of course in no way finished, and you will have to excuse the backscene (which will be covered by the station in due course. I like this platform detail as it has brick, stone and a bit of blockwork on the extension. The brickwork sides start just past the footbridge with the lift access. It's then stone but near the south end there's a bit of brick on the overhanging part of the platform. I don't know what the correct term for it is. Once this is all weathered it should look quite good. I still need to do a bit more on the blockwork too.    

IMG_20221106_170222.jpg

92002034_2865032533603571_4168320860903440384_o.jpg

Edited by bootneckbob
  • Like 10

Finally for this week my little E Bay treat. A Devon General bus from the era. Technically it's the wrong bus for the location being a 57 and en route to Exmouth but I'll change that later (or not). Obviously this scene isn't finished, but this is the bus stop on Cowley Bridge road. The semidetached house I'm building has been removed as it's just plain white foam board at the mo. The trees are also just been stored in that area waiting to be 'dressed' and planted elsewhere. There will be trees there too eventually, but it makes for a nice admin space at the mo.

IMG_20221106_125902.jpg

• Like 15
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Siberian Snooper said:

From memory, it used to be possible to access the platforms from the crossing, on occasion I have exited that way to nip in the Red Cow.

I suspect not - the station is gated now and they wouldn’t want a get out access.

Paul.