Exeter St Davids

bootneckbob

• RMweb Gold
On 14/04/2023 at 21:15, bootneckbob said:

@Coronach That's what I thought; I had read that online, I just wasn't sure if both 'sidings' in the Bay would require them? I think platform 2 yes absolutely as it's a used passenger stop/termination. The other line I wasn't so sure, but I think the answer is in the signal I've roughly copied for now on the approach to Red Cow. It has 6 feathers on it to indicate 6 platforms (signaled). I think the siding in the bay area would be for a loco or shunter from New North Yard or Riverside possibly?

Anyway I'm going to run with that idea and only have the one buffer lit for Platform 2 and the other not as it's a siding. Thanks for your comment.

I’ve just looked at the opening notice for Exeter Panel.  E56 (the signal reading over Red Cow Crossing) only has 5 feathers which is what I thought from the layout.  Three to the left for Bay, Down Relief, Up Relief; nothing for Down Main and two to the right for Up Main and Up Platform Loop.  The Hyde Park Siding is a position light shunt move.

Agree about the buffers, if it had anything I think it would be white not red (but I’m not an expert on such matters).
Paul.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 12/04/2023 at 18:44, John Besley said:

Looking good, just a couple of points... when you load multiple pictures can you add a space between as it makes it easier to view.

And before you sell the MK1 Chocolate and cream set how about getting a Hall -  Hagley Hall or 6000 King George V as both these came through Exeter in 1985 as did 7029 Clun Castle in connection with the GWR 150 celebrations, neither of those went up the SR line all of them where on Choclate and Cream Mk1's

Just an idea

We went to see those specials go through Exeter when I was a kid. From memory one train had 7029 Clun Castle and 5051 Drysllwyn Castle in charge and one of the others had 7819 Hinton Manor and 6000 King George V doing the honours but they suffered various problems on the way down (also possibly with GWR stock thinking about it?) and didn’t make it further than Exeter under steam power from what I remember.

I think the next day or the one after we watched Hinton Manor at Red Cow Crossing leaving Exeter with 4930 Hagley Hall heading back from Plymouth and they’d apparently had a really good run over the banks on the way up.

I would have only been about 12 years old at the time so apologies if I’ve misremembered any of this! 😂

Last day in the shed for my Easter break although it wasn't a day at all it was 3 hours, still worthwhile. As I expected, the Brewery (as it is now) did need some compression.

With what I've mocked up today I think I'll get away with it visually, but the side adjacent to the road will take up the slack; i.e. there will be no outside yard space other than the loading bay. From the viewing side it should look ok. Although not shown in the photos, I've looked at all the areas of the building, widths, heights and clearances, particularly for the canopy which extends over the 'removed' line at the entrance to New North Yard.

I've attached a couple of photos again. This time the view from the ends of Platforms 1 & 5. I've also included a real photo of the scene probably taken from the end of platform 3 / 4., although it's zoomed in a little bit too much. I've also showed a bit of an overhead shot to show how I mock up the areas. I really should have sorted out the car parking sign!

Late edit: Cropped version to compare the composition between reality and the layout; plus my mrs couldn't tell what she was supposed to be looking at, so I cropped it!

IMG_20230416_192827~2.jpg

Overhead showing the floor plate for the 'Brewery' and one side representation

IMG_20230416_192041~2.jpg

View from platform 1

IMG_20230416_192027~2.jpg

View from platform 5

110008441_10157139897957307_838658866064781486_o.jpg

The real view, probably from platforms 3 / 4.

20230416 red cow.jpg

Edited by bootneckbob
  • Like 19

• 2 weeks later...

I took this picture last week when it turned up and cancelled my Accurascale order for Defiance yesterday. I will be getting one of their 50s for sure but swapping out all 6 of my 50s will be expensive. My 2 NSE ones are still in their boxes and never been run or out of the box for that matter so I might sell those and get the Accurascale NSE model.  Anyway without repeating myself, when I found out about Defiance in Rail freight and the year (1987-88) I had to get one. I've always said the layout is set around this time, 86-89, so this just narrows it down that bit more.

IMG_20230421_144047~2.jpg

Edited by bootneckbob
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium
On 15/04/2023 at 22:54, Cowley 47521 said:

We went to see those specials go through Exeter when I was a kid. From memory one train had 7029 Clun Castle and 5051 Drysllwyn Castle in charge and one of the others had 7819 Hinton Manor and 6000 King George V doing the honours but they suffered various problems on the way down (also possibly with GWR stock thinking about it?) and didn’t make it further than Exeter under steam power from what I remember.

I think the next day or the one after we watched Hinton Manor at Red Cow Crossing leaving Exeter with 4930 Hagley Hall heading back from Plymouth and they’d apparently had a really good run over the banks on the way up.

I would have only been about 12 years old at the time so apologies if I’ve misremembered any of this! 😂

I know this is further up the line but here are Hinton Manor and Hagley Hall hammering up to Whiteball on a rake of GWR coaching stock on the easter Monday 1985... those where the days

Whiteball(1).jpg.4e26e62e23c0086b7d061da9c072d29e.jpg

Whiteball(2).jpg.83bc4fde736cb8a78652b208ad5fc024.jpg

• Like 14

6 hours ago, John Besley said:

I know this is further up the line but here are Hinton Manor and Hagley Hall hammering up to Whiteball on a rake of GWR coaching stock on the easter Monday 1985... those where the days

Whiteball(1).jpg.4e26e62e23c0086b7d061da9c072d29e.jpg

Whiteball(2).jpg.83bc4fde736cb8a78652b208ad5fc024.jpg

Great stuff, thanks for posting these John.

• Thanks 1

I got Defiance without any NEM pockets and the spares arrived today so this was her first time out hauling anything. Caught her doing some light Speedlink work down by Cowley Bridge a few minutes ago! 

IMG_20230505_151745~2.jpg

• Like 14

• 3 months later...

Bit of work done on the roof tiles. In case anyone is any doubt or was wondering I'm using Scalescenes printed paper. I bought the scratchbuilders kit as an Xmas prezzie to myself.  

IMG_20230815_183622.jpg

IMG_20230815_183659.jpg

IMG_20230815_183735.jpg

IMG_20230815_183818.jpg

Edited by bootneckbob
  • Like 17

• 2 weeks later...

Had a week off but not got much done on the railway. Added a bit more detail to the 'brewery', repainted the road and Red Cow crossing, and spent yesterday painstakingly painting the barriers and lights for Red Cow crossing too. Painting wearing magnifying glasses whilst actually painting the items under another magnifying glass! Don't know how anyone can work in N gauge.

Today I added some extra droppers into the line for platform 5 as there was some intermittent power issues (which are now sorted); and did a quick mock up of the display the crossing attendant has which show which lines the approaching/departing trains are on.

HST (2).jpg

Edited by bootneckbob
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I'm really feeling the effects of having a massive layout and only me working on it but the wife's away to see her family and leaving me to look after the animals for a few days. With any luck I'll get loads done this week 😄

I bought some more scalescenes kits despite having the scratch builders yard; they are very cheap, and do have some additional textures and features. One of the kits was the CLASP modular building. I bought that as I thought it would be good as the base for the Train Crew building at the back of the Bay siding. I think it will also be good for the Royal Mail site and porta cabins in general possibly. 

So this afternoon was spent doing a first pass at the Crew building and driving a few trains. The new change in the fiddle yard is brilliant; don't know how I missed it before. In case I've not covered it I've extended two of the shortest through roads and binned the dead end siding in (one anyway). It now means I can get HSTs in any of the 10 sidings from either direction.

Since my last update I added some road markings to Red Cow. Most will probably be removed or painted over again but more layers just adds to the depth and a bit more realistic.

So here's a few photos. The viewing angle isn't a good one (for the finished layout) but it shows how things are as is.

IMG_20230828_201820.jpg

IMG_20230828_144400.jpg

IMG_20230828_190937.jpg

Edited by bootneckbob
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

We are currently in Exeter and today I noticed that the clasp buildings are no more. The area is being cleared and fenced off, I guess in readiness to demolish the red brick building between the bay platform and the main buildings.

Also sad to see that the Great Western Hotel bar (and adjacent restaurant) closed back in April.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Informative/Useful 2