Exeter St Davids

bootneckbob

1 hour ago, bootneckbob said:

Although the means were there back in 71 to access Red Cow, the sign on the platform would indicate otherwise. More recently there seems to have been a white picket fence to stop that access too. 

z08-exeter-st-davids-26th-august-1971-1140-ex-okehampton-55016-runs-into-bay-copyright-ron-kosys_orig.jpg

20210107 red cow west side 2.jpg

I remember being told off in the 1980s for taking a shortcut that way.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well, despite having a couple of weeks off over Xmas I didn't really get anything done on the layout. As me and the Mrs didn't visit family over Xmas so we could have one on our own, I didn't think it would be fair to disappear in to the shed and leave her in the house alone! 

Anyway, been doing some armchair research on other peoples layouts and subsequently been bombarded with Scalescenes posts on Facebook. I decided to buy the Scratch builders kit just the otherday and proffed with a 25% discount on it too. Although I really like embossed plastic it is expensive and the painting process is painfully slow and one thing I've really noticed is my progress is also painfully slow and I've a lot to do. To that end I've decided that using Scalescenes paper will give me coverage quickly. I can always go back and redo things 'better' (maybe) at a later date.

Here's a few photos of a section of platform I did after work tonight in an hour or so. Although the paving slabs are a bit 70s and too old for the 80s the platform can take on a finished look very quickly. I used some white paper to seal the platform edge and also make the white line which I'll tone down a touch in due course. In time I'll probably add kiln sand over the paving and airbrush in as tarmac, but I think adding a layer of glued paper is only adding strength to the structure anyway so no harm done. The other platform was airbrushed and the white line hand painted in and that took hours and hurt my eyes! Plus it still needs a lot more work on it as  airbrushing the tarmac in over the grey primer plus I'm not happy with the platform edge so I was going to fill it with plaster. 

There's also a longshot of Cowley Bridge road which is still a huge work in progress but as with the platform, I was able to paper wrap the supporting walls very quickly and get some enthusiasm back for that area. I did also do some plasti card work with the extension of the wooden fence paneling and more block work and painting. There's also a not quite complete Scalescenes coal office building sitting in the scene. This was a free download and the first time I printed off anything from Scalescenes. It's not quite prototypical of the small brick building that resides in that location but it's close enough for now. 

IMG_20230105_185927.jpg

IMG_20230105_185906.jpg

IMG_20230105_185913.jpg

IMG_20230105_183000.jpg

• Like 16

I probably should have done this sooner, but after doing one platform in the Scalescenes paving slabs from the scratch builders kit I was wondering if there was a better way to do the platform, and it turns out there is with a station shelter kit. So I printed off some tarmac finish sheets and the edging slabs and had a go at another platform. The platform edging is really good as it saves me loads of time from what I was doing and it looks better!

I still plan to overspray these paper sheets in time with the airbrush but I think it looks pretty good as is; way better than it was or still is on the main platform yet to be finished.

IMG_20230108_155334.jpg

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thank you John. A long time this layout was unrecognizable as ESD (other than the track layout for the station) and someone asked about putting photos up to help connect the scenes with the real location.  As I started most of the scenic section of this layout at the made up end with the tunnel portals and the re routed river; it was impossible to show photos there until I started the old iron bridge. Whilst I can put photos up of my work as I progressed; if I had looked at this because I had an interest in ESD I'd have been disappointed. Now I have enough areas to work on which are as you said 'recognisable,' so it's nice to add photos for those that know ESD. It's also probably better for people who may not be familiar with the location, but can just see how the model making is for trying to create the impression of a location/period in time etc.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, bootneckbob said:

Do yu mean the large white building which used to run down the side of platform 6?

Which I think back in the day might have said NCL on the side.

Paul.

10 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Paul.

scan0017.jpg.4853493933cdd2dd7472ea54020cabdd.jpg

The National Carriers building in the background, 50017 has arrived on the 06.41 from Salisbury, 31260 is on the Old Oak Common empty news van service and has just picked up the empty GUV to attach. Re-signalling of the station area has recently seen the removal of the down through line, 9/7/85,

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, bootneckbob said:

Do yu mean the large white building which used to run down the side of platform 6?

2 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Paul.

That's the one 👍

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bootneckbob said:

I will be making all of that building, but I'm trying to build from the backscene to the front so I don't damage the layout; that's the plan anyway. 

..and thanks for adding the pic Kevin. 

Great work so far.

As an Exonian I have been following this with interest.

cheers

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Redcow crossing and the backscene for including hhe advertising hoarding - spot on.

Did you get the bacscence printed from your own photos?

Hi John and thanks for the comments. Red Cow no where near done but as you will have gathered (if you have read everything on here) it was/is a real problem as there's just no space there. It stems from the original track plan where I was viewing it from the other side and as such it wouldn't have been seen really. Although that layout barely got past track laying the station area has remained as original. The billboards were knocked up just to see what I could possibly obscure and the pub was a screen grab from a photo online and printed off. I'm going to print it out again but I think the size is pretty close to where I want to be. The houses in that scene are covering a derelict shed which is printed on the backscene. I'm still researching what's there and how to do it. It's actually a carpark and the back of some houses which run up to the hotel. The old laundry to the hotel is likely to feature as it has the tall brick chimney. That whole stretch down to the Red Star parcels building (at the end of the bay platform) is a nightmare!

I'd love to paint the backscene and maybe one day I will but right now as you will have gathered I'm just trying to get a bit of ground cover everywhere and representations of the buildings. It's a massive layout and it's taken years to get where I am. I need to crack on with a little more pace.   

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I have a funny feeling that where yhe hoardings are use to be a run of buildings that were demolished in the 80's a check up on some period B&W photos should confirm this - just seem to remember them from some old Bradford Barton books with my Father's photos in them.

Sadly his original photo albums were leant to Ian Allen and never returned ... someone lost them and I've never been able to track them down again

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

That's interesting in what it shows as you can see how the tracks also went over the rest of Station Road to Riverside Yard.

And the building that was demolished in the middle of the triangle of road leaving the open space that is still there to this day