Exeter St Davids

bootneckbob

Thanks Tractionman. I did use that resource way back for the track plan, mainly to see where lines where or connected before the lines were severed. It's daft, but one of the things I like about the layout is the sidings that were created by the lines being severed, were all connected at one point. It kind of shows the history of the site; something I almost certainly wouldn't have done had the layout not been based on a real location. The decision to actually be prototypical to the location, rather than keeping them in place for operational 'playing trains' was not taken lightly but had to be done really 🤔

Edited by bootneckbob
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well progress has been slow but I have been in the shed working. I've spent a lot of time painting the track in the station area (still not finished) and tinkering. I threw a bit of grey paint around the crossing last night to dull down the white plaster. It's all coming on......slowly!

I've also been buying a bit more rolling stock with 3 TTA tankers (will be for the TMD fuel point) and a MK3 TSO to alter one of the HST set from 2 FO to 1; prototypical for the mixed rakes at the time. Also bought a CMX cleaner. I have the British version but I've always kept my eyes open for a 'cheap' deal on the CMX. It's certainly heavier but I've not used them enough to lean one way or the other yet.

Finally I've added a couple of 50s. 

After reading up on the history of 50149 Defiance, I realized it's a must have for my layout as it's Exeter 87-89. After a small bidding war for one on Ebay I decided to look at Accurascale. Although very expensive, once the sound is added its no more than current Hornby versions which are old anyway. So, that will turn up next year I expect. In the meantime I picked up a bit of a bargain on 50 035 Ark Royal. Needed some work done but all within my expertise!

IMG_20230328_195317.jpg

IMG_20230328_194106.jpg

Edited by bootneckbob
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, bootneckbob said:

Finally I've added a couple of 50s. 

Hi Bob

You can never have enough 50s. 😉 Layout looking good nice to see an update, I must get back to the shed myself and get on with it!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Temeraire said:

Hi Bob

You can never have enough 50s. 😉 Layout looking good nice to see an update, I must get back to the shed myself and get on with it!

Well 50 would be just enough I reckon 😀

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

I've still got Indomitable and Glorious (both in NSE livery) in their boxes on the shelf. They were bought in 2017/8 and never been run. Not even been out of the plastic inserts! Daft thing is I have DCC sound chips for both after I sold off my later NSE liveried Achilles and Superb. I'm saving them for when the station is further ahead. I was actually quite gutted to see the NSE Exeter being released this year. But as it's about £100 more now than I paid for Indomitable, I'll get over it...

So Basically I now have 

50 004 St Vincent BR large logo

50 007 Sir Edward Elgar in Brunswick Green

50 026 Indomitable NSE

50 033 Glorious NSE

50 035 Ark Royal BR large logo

*Edit I forgot I have 50 149 Defiance on order!

So from 2 cutting around the layout (for testing) to 6 😲

Edited by bootneckbob
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Easter update.
Well I finally finished painting the track. I'll start again, I finally finished painting all the track in the station you can see from the viewing angle. I still need to finish off the other sides of some of the rails.

Needing to feel like I'd made some sort of progress I turned my hand to the Signal Panel Box. It was late in the day so all I did was cut out the windows and doors and put some scale scenes paper on. Not happy with the colour so I'm going to look at another finish today.

I also sold one of my HST rakes which incidentally meant selling the MK3 coach I recently bought so I could sell it as a complete 8 car rake with all the right carriages (A-H). I discovered my Merchant Navy Class steam train not only can't negotiate the incline, but it can't handle the curved set points in that lead in to the fiddle yard at one end. I knew about the incline previously and had fitted DCC power base to assist in that area. Not sure how I missed the points?? So, I'm not messing with the points, the layout is set in the 80s and the steam train was a big concession to the layout but one I was prepared to make just because they are lovely things and sound great. Unfortunately though I will be selling it on I think along with the rake of Mk1 chocolate and cream carriages.

Yesterday I got back in for a full uninterrupted 'modelling' day and set to work on ballasting. I did the initial base layer in the Bay platform area and finished off the area north of Red Cow Crossing. I say finished off, not weathered yet obviously. Hoping for another productive day in there today as the weather forecast is terrible today, but looking out of my window at the moment there's lovely blue sky over Bideford Bay.

20230412 signal box.png

IMG_20230411_203922.jpg

IMG_20230411_204113.jpg

Edited by bootneckbob
  • Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, bootneckbob said:

the weather forecast is terrible today, but looking out of my window at the moment there's lovely blue sky over Bideford Bay.

Blowing a gale here in Exeter, glad I'm not on the boat to Lundy today!

2 hours ago, DLT said:

Blowing a gale here in Exeter, glad I'm not on the boat to Lundy today!

Too right; very rough out there.

Just come down for some lunch. Main effort this morning; cleaning and polishing the rails after yesterdays ballasting but also started some custom illumination with a red light on a peco buffer stop for platform 2. Does anyone know if the siding would have been light too?  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Looking good, just a couple of points... when you load multiple pictures can you add a space between as it makes it easier to view.

And before you sell the MK1 Chocolate and cream set how about getting a Hall -  Hagley Hall or 6000 King George V as both these came through Exeter in 1985 as did 7029 Clun Castle in connection with the GWR 150 celebrations, neither of those went up the SR line all of them where on Choclate and Cream Mk1's

Just an idea

Edited by John Besley
  • Like 1

Here's the buffer stop for platform 2. I'll drill the holes for the wires tomorrow, fit and re ballast. Looks better when its seen normal size,  and viewing is nearly 4ft away at the closest point.

John, I will look at the locos you've suggested tonight, thanks.

IMG_20230412_195639 (1).jpg

• Like 8

Well I've spent a long time looking at other locos but decided I  should first check mine. Long story short, as I suspected the wires from the tender to the loco were causing the problem. I re wired it all with a much smaller gauge wire and it runs fine over the points now. So it can't operate from every road as the curve and weight of the rake causes problems with traction, but it can run on both the main up and down lines with no problems.

I'm undecided now if to keep it or sell it. Anyway, going to go a few hours in the garden this afternoon and hopefully get back in the shed later. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 12/04/2023 at 14:10, bootneckbob said:

Too right; very rough out there.

Just come down for some lunch. Main effort this morning; cleaning and polishing the rails after yesterdays ballasting but also started some custom illumination with a red light on a peco buffer stop for platform 2. Does anyone know if the siding would have been light too?  

A red light is only necessary on siding the are entered by a signalled move. The red light is effectively a stop signal. Basic sidings don’t need them

• Informative/Useful 1

@Coronach That's what I thought; I had read that online, I just wasn't sure if both 'sidings' in the Bay would require them? I think platform 2 yes absolutely as it's a used passenger stop/termination. The other line I wasn't so sure, but I think the answer is in the signal I've roughly copied for now on the approach to Red Cow. It has 6 feathers on it to indicate 6 platforms (signaled). I think the siding in the bay area would be for a loco or shunter from New North Yard or Riverside possibly?

Anyway I'm going to run with that idea and only have the one buffer lit for Platform 2 and the other not as it's a siding. Thanks for your comment.

So today I had fun and games with the Merchant Navy class again🤐! Stupid DCC setup on it. Finally put it away and cracked on with my intended job for today which was cracking on with the Cowley Bridge Road area leading to Red Cow Crossing. 

Doesn't look like I've done much but I've gone firm on the road layout which has been a real problem due to the super compression. I've been playing around with  road for literally months, probably years actually!  The other work was with the walls adjacent to the road.

Must get in the shed early tomorrow, not much holiday left!

IMG_20230414_204418.jpg

IMG_20230414_204143.jpg

Edited by bootneckbob
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

It is instantly recognisable as Red Cow Crossing... back in the 80's I used to sit in the carpark before it was tarmaced and you had to pay for the privilege and watch the trains from my VW LT35 flatbed truck... just saying 

There was a crossing keepers hut on the yard side who shepherded pedestrians across when the barriers where down for road traffic as sometimes there where quite long waits

Edited by John Besley
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, John Besley said:

It is instantly recognisable as Red Cow Crossing... back in the 80's I used to sit in the carpark before it was tarmaced and you had to pay for the privilege and watch the trains from my VW LT35 flatbed truck... just saying 

Hi, thanks for the compliment. As you were definitely in the area at the right time do you know what the two buildings now being used by the Exeter Brewery were used for. First two buildings on the right in the picture. Also, if you know, what was the white shed in the far ground used for? From the pictures I've seen it has a rail loading capability.

110008441_10157139897957307_838658866064781486_o.jpg

• Like 6

Well I got in the time accelerator early this morning; honestly I don't know where the day goes when I'm in the shed! I wanted to get the warehouse (second building from the front on the right in the picture above) done, and by that I mean knocked up in foamboard although I actually used foamex today and I really like it. Ordered by mistake but much better. I used to make signs using it in another life.

I had to finish off some details on the wall I was doing yesterday before I started on the warehouse, but I'm quite pleased with the look. It's all by eye and first go but I think it passes the test. It should be wider but there's that damned compression again! The next building, the one in the foreground will be the worst I'm sure. 

Before I left it for today I took 3 photos (not staged) and cropped them. I have to say I really like it given the scene wasn't setup and the finish...well it's no where near finished! 

IMG_20230415_170917~2.jpg

A view from the end of Platform 5. 

IMG_20230415_170759~2.jpg

Taken from close to the entrance to Riverside Yard

IMG_20230415_170640~2.jpg

Looking over the wall on Cowley Bridge road.

Edited by bootneckbob
  • Like 13