New Hornby products

In reply to Kiwi Rob McG of these pages, Pat Hammond alludes to the announcement of new models from Hornby, (see MREmag on Monday). :huh: Anyone with any thoughts, info? NO frothing please!

Cheers, Peter C.

Having read Rob's note and Pat's reply on MREmag, I gained the impression that this concerned the imminent release of previously announced items. I hope I'm wrong and it turns out to be something more interesting.

Since this isn't the main announcement of the year, december, I suspect it will be limited to a maximum of three items, all locos/units (it was hinted at Christmas that there would be more new items announced during the course of the year). Since it will be a limited field of announcements I put it as being two "big" items (intercity/express locos) and one retool maybe new a dean goods (since the Lima range has little life left in it and we are in the Year of GWR). If they do follow the path of new tools, my money would be on a GWR King in a presentation box as well as a range of "normal" Kings as well as a new class 59/67/73 tool and a re-tool of a golden oldie!

Alternatively it could be a long listed of peculiar repaints served with disappointment, only time will tell!

m0rris

... a new class 59/67/73 tool ...

Here's hoping they don't use one tool for all three... wink.gif tongue.gif

What? You must be the only person who doesn't yearn for a class 66.3 Electroskipshed with its' uniquely flexible 750V DC third rail and DE 3,000 hp/125mph performance, and mind boggling Bo A-0.5-A nine wheel configuration. I'd buy one of those like a shot...biggrin.gif

• RMweb Gold

What? You must be the only person who doesn't yearn for a class 66.3 Electroskipshed with its' uniquely flexible 750V DC third rail and DE 3,000 hp/125mph performance, and mind boggling Bo A-0.5-A nine wheel configuration. I'd buy one of those like a shot...biggrin.gif

I feel sure you must have been told to keep taking the tablets....

What I'd do for a "new" 73......... although there would be a gestation period of 18-24 months followed by another 2 years of waiting for the liveries I wanted !!!

Snowball in hell's chance of anyone doing a 74 though. No one ever mentions it when referring to all the gaps in the diesel/electric list being plugged.

Forget DCC sound chips. We've had live steam - I'd like to know when live diesel will be coming along? Perhaps Hornby will put a real engine inside the HST - imagine the miniature roar!

AS a serious one. Has anyone noticed that the 8F has only been available in sets last year and not available at all this year!

SO my guess is they may do a run....

Now that they have sound in the black 5 are they going to suprise everyone and do a sound fitted one! :rolleyes:

• RMweb Premium

I agree with the Class 73 theory. Remember back a few years and recall that the ex Dapol/Mainline Class 56, despite a recent tad of an upgrade, suddenly vanished from the catalogue and the next year the all new one turned up. The Limby Class 73 has done the same, all but disappeared from this years range and this is despite a 3rd rail EMU (the 4-VEP plus of course Bachy's EPB and CEP) being available or imminent that they could run with.

That is where my money is being bet with an each way on Mk 2 Aircons or even completely new Mk 3's... :bomb_mini:

I refuse to froth about anything else when things are this scary........I assumed the Gresley A3 Pacifics were the flagship of the Hornby range but Britain is suffering a famine of these locos.....None in any of the big box shifters. Is nothing sacred?sad.gif wink.gif

Guest jim s-w

Hornby aint got any loco's with OLE on the books at the moment (nothing new anyway).

No brainer perhaps?

Cheers

Jim

• RMweb Gold

The A3, 8f & Q1 are (barely) available oh and I forgot about the Grange class and there were no new 4mts in this years range. Probably of little importance, but Hornby's recent releases have been a bit uninspiring to say the least.

J50, 94xx and a continental 0-4-0 shunter with BR logos?

Could be a Warship, 33, 40, small prarie, Western, King or Crab, but they are available from other manufacturers.

The 33 and 40 are going into the Railroad range this year. The Warship and Western might scrub up okay though with new drives but as you point out probably not high priority.

I agree with the Class 73 theory. Remember back a few years and recall that the ex Dapol/Mainline Class 56, despite a recent tad of an upgrade, suddenly vanished from the catalogue and the next year the all new one turned up. The Limby Class 73 has done the same, all but disappeared from this years range and this is despite a 3rd rail EMU (the 4-VEP plus of course Bachy's EPB and CEP) being available or imminent that they could run with.

Interesting thought, especially give the fact that the 73 and 4VEP share a common powered bogie design (detailing differences of course) though I suspect that the 4VEP will have a bogie drive mechanism and a new 73 would be a central motor arrangement, but there's nothing to say that the retooled bogie sideframes couldn't be shared between the two.

Ureeeeeka. A Hornby A3 Pacific is on its way to my address.......GNR tender and 94A boiler. Engraved plates to follow. Sorry but I had to get it off of my chest.

Back to forthcoming frothing....The moon is in conjunction with uranus in the 3rd quarter and the Thompson 2-6-4T could be being brought forward to eclipse something from Bachmann....cool.gif

Archived