Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Covid - coming out of Lockdown 3 - no politics, less opinion and more facts and information.

AY Mod

That was my experience of the central booking line as well. Izzy. I got the next town along who had a large sports hall in use and seem to be the place most of our area (North Worcs) go to. My daughter was sent there by her employers (a local school) as well. My wife however went to her GP.

20 minutes ago, hayfield said:

The vaccine is a precious resource, most agree that the way out is to vaccinate the population. The main regulators all agree that the Oxford vaccine safe for all adult ages. The EU is stating that the roll out is not working as it should, and in most EU countries the virus is rampaging, vaccine is needed in people not warehouses. No one in the world is protected until everyone is protected. The article (in a non UK tabloid) was inferring some Europeans are being let down by their governments

Dont forget the EU shut its borders to vaccine transportation and demanded that Astra Zenica diverted stocks from the UK to make up for production issues in their own factories. I think it was  Politico who reported that Germany had used  the Oxford Vaccine in the low hundreds of thousands yet had unused stocks of nearly 5m. On the other hand other countries are crying out for vaccine to use, Belgium for instance has a facility which could vaccinate 5k a day, but was running in the low hundreds due to lack of stock

I accept the vaccine initially it was designed/thought that to be effective with the second injection given between 3-4 weeks after the first, so stocks have/had to be held back. The UK took a qualified risk to enable them to get as many people vaccinated with limited resources as they could, they were mocked by some but were using the data available. We now have a third of the eligible population vaccinated and a great majority of the most at risk having protection. Not only did the gamble pay off but it looks like it will increase the efficacy of the vaccine, surely others should now follow our lead, to stop unnecessary infections. Seemingly they have the means to start the ball rolling

In the UK we have made 2 pledges, to help Europe if needed but more importantly give what we don't need to the poorest countries, will we have to divert vaccine which should be going to the worlds poor to bolster Europe's shortfall ?  

So on the basis that adults needs to be vaccinated, why is the roll out so lacklustre in some of the EU countries? Italy has just changed its rollout Tsar, copying the UK with an armed forces general used to logistics now in charge, seemingly wanting to speed up delivery. 

Just to add why its so important not just to make the vaccine but use it  

From the BBC's website

France has already said it will reverse its policy and start giving the Oxford vaccine to people aged between 65 and 74.

Professor Andrew Pollard, director of the Oxford Vaccine group, urged others like Germany, Sweden and Poland to also take a close look at the new data.

He told BBC's Today programme the findings were "stunning" especially as the group were the hardest to reach, and the oldest and most frail.

He said with 5,000 people dying every day in Europe it was important to increase confidence in vaccines.

14 hours ago, Ighten said:

I have  a ? - has anyone been given anything remotely resembling an official certificate - proof etc (I ask ask as a few of our hols have in the future requested this)

It seems, obviously I suppose, that any vaccine passport  will require international agreement, likely to be built in to the existing NHS Covid-19 app, though those without a smartphone will have a problem.

That said, I suspect countries reliant on tourists from the UK might accept other solutions.

jch

• Like 1

Regarding which arm to inject, I saw coverage of a drive-in vaccination centre (in the US, so I guess a 'center'), the drivers were having to twist around in their seats to present their right shoulder to the windows, heaven forbid actually getting out of the car!

It looked awkward.

jch

11 hours ago, 62613 said:

Was on a candidates' and agents' (zoom) meeting earlier this evening; this wasn't mentioned. In fact the local regional staff still seem to be waiting for advice. Their advice was for digital and telephone campaigning only unless or until the government says something different.

My local council has announced that the "socially distant" 2021 census will go ahead in March.

We have a elections in London in May, leaflets are arriving already for the Mayoral election.

jch

1 hour ago, Hobby said:

I don't think it shows any evidence of "serious" reaction at all, it's just the same as other vaccines (such as the flu jab) that it can give you an ache in that arm for a while afterwards, so they ask and most people will go for the arm they don't use to write! Just being polite.

Until now I'd never even heard of a "yellow card"! Just in case anyone else is wondering what he's on about...

https://yellowcard.mhra.gov.uk/

Thats a new one on me! The “Yellow Card” I meant, is a small booklet issued under International Health Regulations of World Health Organisation, and contains stamps, signatures etc for a variety of jabs and medication including Yellow Fever, tetanus, Hepatitis, and other unsavoury ailments. It’s often required when boarding flights to Africa in particular. Any expat worker would be familiar with them, along with anyone travelling to and from such places. 

I did wonder if they might sign the “miscellaneous additions” pages in the back, but seems not. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, hayfield said:

Just to add why its so important not just to make the vaccine but use it  

From the BBC's website

France has already said it will reverse its policy and start giving the Oxford vaccine to people aged between 65 and 74.

Professor Andrew Pollard, director of the Oxford Vaccine group, urged others like Germany, Sweden and Poland to also take a close look at the new data.

He told BBC's Today programme the findings were "stunning" especially as the group were the hardest to reach, and the oldest and most frail.

He said with 5,000 people dying every day in Europe it was important to increase confidence in vaccines.

I cannot disagree with either of your posts.

The EU and its national leaders/health bodies have been very slow and in retrospect overly cautious in their actions.

I sense perhaps that there was a degree of vaccine nationalism behind some of the comments.  Indeed the UK rapid authorisation for the AZO vaccine might be seen in the same light but in this case one that has paid off handsomely.

2 hours ago, rockershovel said:

Book on the NHS site and the first thing requested, is the reference number on the letter. Actually this is your NHS number, but very few people could quote, or even know where to find it. 

Once my wife had her letter, she booked in by telephone at a local pharmacy which didn’t appear on her list, which she identified by word of mouth. I booked mine through the NHS site, after several attempts. 

Neither if us have heard anything from our GP practice. 

Your NHS number appears on the top LHS of any repeat prescription form, just under your name.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Fat Controller said:

Your NHS number appears on the top LHS of any repeat prescription form, just under your name.

Or, indeed, any correspondence from them, regarding your health or procedures/testing.

It was on my 'invitation' for bowel cancer screening/testing.

34 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

I cannot disagree with either of your posts.

The EU and its national leaders/health bodies have been very slow and in retrospect overly cautious in their actions.

I sense perhaps that there was a degree of vaccine nationalism behind some of the comments.  Indeed the UK rapid authorisation for the AZO vaccine might be seen in the same light but in this case one that has paid off handsomely.

At the beginning of the pandemic like most countries we were caught totally unprepared, and like others our plans were for a different type of virus. As a country we had become too dependant on others for PPE allowing our manufacturing industries to decline. Our government was being panned daily for out lack in many areas especially being compared to Germany with its health care system, testing ability and large pharmaceuticals and their ability to organise

Well some of the complaints were well founded, but unknown to many behind the scenes there was a massive amount of work going on in many areas. Procuring supplies and developing a PPE industry, encouraging and backing  vaccine development, building the largest testing regime plus the creating biggest genome facility. Anticipating the needs for production of vaccines. Ensuring the regulators were up to speed, then realising that the rollout could be adapted to give a much wider coverage quicker. Perhaps best of all we have seen state organisations working with businesses along with mobilisation of the forces and volunteers. These were things that we were told would not work together

If you asked a year ago which country would lead Europe out of this crisis, I like many others would have chosen Germany or the Swiss, certainly not the UK. Sadly for unknown reasons the EU's systems are taking a lot of time in getting up to speed, German newspapers reporting misinformation about one vaccine plus other European governments taking seemingly overcautious actions.

Its not just our government that have been on top of their game, its the NHS, our scientists, manufacturers, the forces and many others from home mask makers and 3D printers and the army of volunteers doing everything from shopping to manning car parks. No doubt this is also occurring in many countries, but somehow the vaccinations are being hampered 

I am extremely thankful that I have been vaccinated, and very proud of all those who have done their bit to put us where we are.

• Like 6
  • Agree 9

Had a chat with the nurse this morning when my wife got here B12 injection. Seems the possibility of a "reaction" to the Pfizer jab is more likely than the Oxford, hence at the centre I went to (Oxford jab) they allowed people to go and wait the 15 minutes in the car however when we went to get J's Pfizer jab we had to wait in the centre and they were very strict. According to her that's why but I don't know if anyone else has had the same?

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Had a chat with the nurse this morning when my wife got here B12 injection. Seems the possibility of a "reaction" to the Pfizer jab is more likely than the Oxford, hence at the centre I went to (Oxford jab) they allowed people to go and wait the 15 minutes in the car however when we went to get J's Pfizer jab we had to wait in the centre and they were very strict. According to her that's why but I don't know if anyone else has had the same?

Same here - had the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine and was just told to sit in the car for 15 minutes before starting the engine. 

Whole process was very simple - no sign of any letter from the NHS but a text message from my GP surgery last Wednesday (I'm one of the 55-60 with underlying conditions) inviting me to book an appointment.  Booked in for the Friday, turned up at the local Civic Hall 10 minutes before the appointed time, name checked at door, straight in, name and DoB checked again, quick question about allergic reactions, chose which arm, jabbed, handed a leaflet and small "record" card and out to the car.  All within 10 minutes, followed by the 15 minute wait!  No noticeable "reaction" to the jab.  

Will be contacted again in due course for Jab 2, which I'm sure will be just as efficient... 

I had the AZ at the Brighton Centre, which was all very slick. There was no question of waiting afterwards - we were all being ushered out the rear entrance asap. There was an area with chairs presumably intended for those who wished to wait, but no encouragement to use them - if anything, the opposite.

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Hobby said:

We had the AZ and I was made to wait in the centre at the “recovery” area, the Pfizer vaccine was the one to which several health workers had a quite severe allergic reaction to and why I was told with my Asthma I should have the AZ and must not have the Pfizer.

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Derekl said:

I had the AZ at the Brighton Centre, which was all very slick. There was no question of waiting afterwards - we were all being ushered out the rear entrance asap. There was an area with chairs presumably intended for those who wished to wait, but no encouragement to use them - if anything, the opposite.

They should have asked you if you have ever had an allergic reaction, if so they then require you to wait in the centre for 15 minutes just in case, maybe the general encouragement to wait in the car was just to cover the whimps who might faint :D

10 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

They should have asked you if you have ever had an allergic reaction, if so they then require you to wait in the centre for 15 minutes just in case, maybe the general encouragement to wait in the car was just to cover the whimps who might faint :D

Both myself and wife were asked if we had been allergic to injections in the past at registration, may well have also been asked by the nurse as well, cant remember. everyone was asked to wait in the centre for 15 mins. Our cards show the type of vaccine (Oxford) and date administered. I think allergic reactions are few and far between and if anything a distraction to the benefit of being vaccinated.

Not withstanding for the few who may come into being severely affected group, they will know who they are and how to approach the process. Taking the appropriate medical advice from the professionals.

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, hayfield said:

Both myself and wife were asked if we had been allergic to injections in the past at registration, may well have also been asked by the nurse as well, cant remember. everyone was asked to wait in the centre for 15 mins. Our cards show the type of vaccine (Oxford) and date administered. I think allergic reactions are few and far between and if anything a distraction to the benefit of being vaccinated.

Not withstanding for the few who may come into being severely affected group, they will know who they are and how to approach the process. Taking the appropriate medical advice from the professionals.

Our little centre had the recovery area loaded with bloods (monitoring), oxygen, defibs etc......so it was certainly taken seriously, but they can only rely on what the patient tells them at the time.

19 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

No.

Vaccines were not tested & proven on some older age groups until more recently, (which is why you may have read that they are less effective..which is not true, they were simply no figures to prove their effectiveness).

Some countries therefore held them back from use for these age groups until they had been tested further.

Thanks, I thought that already but asked the question because, in the original post to which I responded, it was implied that because Germany is already vaccinating people in their 20s and 30s it was far ahead of the UK in protecting its population; Which does not appear to be the case. 

3 hours ago, John Harris said:

It seems, obviously I suppose, that any vaccine passport  will require international agreement, likely to be built in to the existing NHS Covid-19 app, though those without a smartphone will have a problem.

That said, I suspect countries reliant on tourists from the UK might accept other solutions.

jch

I am not opposed to the notion of vaccine passports (both internal and external). What I do object to, is having them distributed as smartphone apps. My opposition to them is on the basis of reliability, having recently had to do a reset of my phone, that caused the loss of some apps that had been added to it. I would like to see the passports in the form of a plastic card, much like a credit/debit card, that has the owners vaccination details instead of their banking details on it.

• Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, caradoc said:

Thanks, I thought that already but asked the question because, in the original post to which I responded, it was implied that because Germany is already vaccinating people in their 20s and 30s it was far ahead of the UK in protecting its population; Which does not appear to be the case. 

We  have been vaccinating those in their 20s and 30's but only those EXTREMELY vulnerable, which is very few.

The most vulnerable are the oldest, age being the biggest factor.

With about 40% of adults now done in the UK, I Believe next week the 50+ age group will start being jabbed. New first injections will seriously start slowing early April , as the mass of 2nd jabbers starts becoming due..

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, TheQ said:

We  have been vaccinating those in their 20s and 30's but only those EXTREMELY vulnerable, which is very few.

The most vulnerable are the oldest, age being the biggest factor.

With about 40% of adults now done in the UK, I Believe next week the 50+ age group will start being jabbed. New first injections will seriously start slowing early April , as the mass of 2nd jabbers starts becoming due..

We're definitely getting in to second jabs now. Looking at the numbers the number of second jabs has increased a great deal in the last week, although it's still much lower than first jabs. That fits in with the timing of getting the vaccination programme going.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Whatever else might be said about the handling of the whole matter (and I’m certain that it will be bitterly debated for a long time to come), we don’t have curfews established by executive decree and patrolled by armed police, and the attendant rioting. So, there’s that.....

6 hours ago, rockershovel said:

Thats a new one on me! The “Yellow Card” I meant, is a small booklet issued under International Health Regulations of World Health Organisation, and contains stamps, signatures etc for a variety of jabs and medication including Yellow Fever, tetanus, Hepatitis, and other unsavoury ailments. It’s often required when boarding flights to Africa in particular. Any expat worker would be familiar with them, along with anyone travelling to and from such places. 

I did wonder if they might sign the “miscellaneous additions” pages in the back, but seems not. 

This one then! 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Certificate_of_Vaccination_or_Prophylaxis

• Like 1