Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Covid - coming out of Lockdown 3 - no politics, less opinion and more facts and information.

AY Mod

Good job that boosters are being deployed, because it really looks as if they are a necessary protection.

I looked at the local stats for the first time in a week, and see that the number in hospital here has gone up from c33 to 45, which means that the hospital must effectively have two wards devoted to caring for Covid patients. The case rate has actually dropped a bit over the past week, but the thing is still rife around here; we know four families who have had one or more members test positve over the past two or three weeks, one family having to close their business temporarily because of it.

• Informative/Useful 2

• Moderators

Today, it is advised that you can book booster jabs from Monday if you are over 5 months from the 2nd dose. 

You can get on the system today and do it. 

Beat the rush if you like! 

14 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Good job that boosters are being deployed, because it really looks as if they are a necessary protection.

I looked at the local stats for the first time in a week, and see that the number in hospital here has gone up from c33 to 45, which means that the hospital must effectively have two wards devoted to caring for Covid patients. The case rate has actually dropped a bit over the past week, but the thing is still rife around here; we know four families who have had one or more members test positve over the past two or three weeks, one family having to close their business temporarily because of it.

The government is really pushing this one and has reduced the time restraint between the 2nd jab and booster from next week

Likewise the covid data locally is much the same here in Essex, very high rates of infection starting to drop, driven by high rates in school children who then infect their relatives, hospitalizations now starting to plato, death rates still on the increase. But we know that these two items suffer a time lag on infection rates, as you have said those in the high risk groups are most affected

The good news is that in this latest spike the worst affects have been much lower than in previous spikes, lets hope the next step forward will be the effect these new drugs will have

4 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Today, it is advised that you can book booster jabs from Monday if you are over 5 months from the 2nd dose. 

BBC or papers reporting that there is a shortage of flu vaccines, apparently the amount or vaccines used to date is more that the whole for last winter.

Certainly this week we were able to book the booster on Tuesday for yesterday (Friday) so around here plenty of supply, hopefully the same elsewhere  

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, hayfield said:

The government is really pushing this one and has reduced the time restraint between the 2nd jab and booster from next week

Likewise the covid data locally is much the same here in Essex, very high rates of infection starting to drop, driven by high rates in school children who then infect their relatives, hospitalizations now starting to plato, death rates still on the increase. But we know that these two items suffer a time lag on infection rates, as you have said those in the high risk groups are most affected

The good news is that in this latest spike the worst affects have been much lower than in previous spikes, lets hope the next step forward will be the effect these new drugs will have

AIUI, you will be able to book a slot for a booster five months after second jab, but that's just the appointment. The actual jab will be still be administered six months on.

The idea is to ensure it's given as nearly as possible to 6 months after Jab 2, and not a couple of weeks later as in my case.

John

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

AIUI, you will be able to book a slot for a booster five months after second jab, but that's just the appointment. The actual jab will be still be administered six months on.

The idea is to ensure it's given as nearly as possible to 6 months after Jab 2, and not a couple of weeks later as in my case.

John

That appears to be correct, John.  The BBC states:

'Currently, people cannot book their top-up vaccines until six months have elapsed since their second dose.

But from Monday, those aged 50 and over, plus those most at risk, will be able to book after five months.

It means they could receive their booster on the day they reach the six-month milestone.'

Clipped from here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59181370

• Informative/Useful 1

40 minutes ago, hayfield said:

BBC or papers reporting that there is a shortage of flu vaccines, apparently the amount or vaccines used to date is more that the whole for last winter.

Certainly this week we were able to book the booster on Tuesday for yesterday (Friday) so around here plenty of supply, hopefully the same elsewhere  

The flu vaccine ran out locally about this time last year, so my wife never did get hers.  This year we booked back in September at the local pharmacy as soon as they had any.  Our surgery has cancelled their appointments due to the shortage and is advising patients to try and book through a pharmacy.

Had my booster jab a week ago at a very efficient site locally, with a total of ten vaccinators in action.

I'm a bit puzzled by the "book it" Covid booster and the difficulty of getting it, my daughter just went online last week, checked out the local walk-in centre (same one as where we had our previous jabs) and just went along and got it done, no pre booking, no hassle.

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Hobby said:

I'm a bit puzzled by the "book it" Covid booster and the difficulty of getting it, my daughter just went online last week, checked out the local walk-in centre (same one as where we had our previous jabs) and just went along and got it done, no pre booking, no hassle.

Not every area has a "walk-in" centre that is accessible other than by car. My nearest is around a 30 minute drive away.

I am currently off driving for at least a month, but am fortunate to have the option of a GP clinic five minutes walk away, though booking is necessary. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, hayfield said:

A second covid prevention Pill has passed its initial trial early

A bit like waiting for a bus they come in two's, Pfizer today announced the success of their own pill. Fromm the BBC's news website, lets hope it gets approved as quickly as the other one

"An experimental pill to treat Covid developed by the US company Pfizer cuts the risk of hospitalisation or death by 89% in vulnerable adults, clinical trial results suggest."

Great news for the world at large

The development I am waiting for is vaccines that can be administered by nasal spray https://www.itv.com/news/2021-11-03/the-covid-vaccine-sprayed-into-the-nose-that-could-be-more-effective-than-jabs

The hope is that, because they would trigger immunity at the portal through which the virus mostly enters, they would be more effective in preventing infections, rather than just the symptoms. Hence reduce transmission and reduce the opportunities for new variants to arise.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

37 minutes ago, Hobby said:

The shortage of vaccines is for influenza 

As far as the booster is concerned, the first two jabs were administered at my local health centre. As far as the booster jabs are concerned, they are way behind getting to my age group. Initially we were going to wait until contacted by them

We changed our minds (after a bit of local info) and went on line ( 2nd of Nov), there were several options and we had the jab on the 5th. As you say where we live there are plenty of options close by (in some areas)  if you have transport

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Unfortunately not here in Wales. While much is good (mask wearing, social distance etc) boosters so far are only available after six months and there is no walk in facility, we have to wait to be invited to attend. Whether this is down to the local health board (the heavily criticised Betsi Cadwaladr) or the Welsh Assembly I don't know. Mrs R's six months was up on Friday, as were friends who live locally and so far no sign of a date to be boosted.

Edited by Neil
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

I'll see your influenza and covid and raise you avian flu; we in Angus have just had a major outbreak diagnosed.  Fortunately it's just affecting chickens (or so we are told) and there is no cause for alarm as the risk to human health from the virus is very low (again, so we are told).  I just hope that if any humans do catch it they don't get the same treatment as the unfortunate chickens have suffered.

DT

Edited by Torper
typo
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 05/11/2021 at 09:05, hayfield said:

But there are many who think its their job to tell others what is and what is not funny, then wrapping in up as not to offend people. Some of the best comedy has been satire, which has made valuable social or political comment.

I like observational comedy.

And I do admit to liking Michael McIntire.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Boosters are going as you look, was originally booking for Monday but as it was being filled in, full up.

Booster now on Friday. Day after a car repair.

Well, that was commendably simple!

I thought I’d try again to advance book a booster, and this time the machine said “yes”, and offered me a range of dates and locations. Interestingly, some of the dates were a week less than six months since my previous, so it must calculate on days, not months.  Result is a very convenient slot at the vaccination centre that has been set up at the university where my good lady works (although she actually WFH now), not much over a mile away, on the day after six months expires.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Friday night the Mrs and I went out to see the Rocky Horror show in Norwich, no masks, we tested before we went and tested today (she has to test anyway because she's school staff) - all clear, it was a great night out with hundreds of people singing, laughing and dancing - great to feel alive again.  We are both double and flu jabbed, we both have anti bodies (as we are part of an ONS survey involving samples of blood this is lab confirmed) and we both have boosters booked for dates in the next 10 days.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Interestingly, some of the dates were a week less than six months since my previous, so it must calculate on days, not months.  

I understand it works on 182 days.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I see this morning in the BBC's news website that the take up of the top up jabs are not as high as expected The Times front Page (reporting an interview on the BBC)

Older double jabbed people are dying because they have not taken up the  booster jab, quoting. Dr Susan Hopkins CMA of the Health Security Agency. Reporting that 8.4 million of the 14.6 million who qualify have had the booster.  If everywhere is the same as our own area, many may be like we were waiting for their local health centres to contact them. Given that we would have been part of the  6.2 million unvaccinated had we not been advised to book ourselves in, I guess many who have not got the booster yet may be in the same boat, though if a recent post that the wait between booking and vaccination is growing perhaps the message is hitting home

Though the statement that many who have have been double jabbed but not had a booster are dying, is different from previous claims that its the unvaccinated who are suffering the most

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, hayfield said:

I see this morning in the BBC's news website that the take up of the top up jabs are not as high as expected The Times front Page (reporting an interview on the BBC)

Older double jabbed people are dying because they have not taken up the  booster jab, quoting. Dr Susan Hopkins CMA of the Health Security Agency. Reporting that 8.4 million of the 14.6 million who qualify have had the booster.  If everywhere is the same as our own area, many may be like we were waiting for their local health centres to contact them. Given that we would have been part of the  6.2 million unvaccinated had we not been advised to book ourselves in, I guess many who have not got the booster yet may be in the same boat, though if a recent post that the wait between booking and vaccination is growing perhaps the message is hitting home

Though the statement that many who have have been double jabbed but not had a booster are dying, is different from previous claims that its the unvaccinated who are suffering the most

Very variable service is certainly impacting on take-up. My cousin is having great difficulty getting through to the booking services and has been offered boosters at locations at least 60 miles away that she can't get to as she does not drive.

Yet her sister had no difficulty getting an appointment.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Very variable service is certainly impacting on take-up. My cousin is having great difficulty getting through to the booking services and has been offered boosters at locations at least 60 miles away that she can't get to as she does not drive.

Yet her sister had no difficulty getting an appointment.

My Mrs went on the NHS website last night and it took her less than 1 minute to book an appointment at a suitable time and on a date of her choosing.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

2 minutes ago, beast66606 said:

My Mrs went on the NHS website last night and it took her less than 1 minute to book an appointment at a suitable time and on a date of her choosing.

Similar to my experience from last week when I booked my booster jab, @beast66606

...text message prompt from the NHS, which was timed for the 6 month anniversary of the date of my second jab

...visit NHS website

...login

...choice of venue (at least half a dozen within a short walk, car or bus journey from my location in Huddersfield.  Many more also listed in other local towns in West Yorkshire)

...plenty of dates and times available

...booking made

My impression is of a well thought through, efficient and effective programme.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, 4630 said:

Similar to my experience from last week when I booked my booster jab, @beast66606

...text message prompt from the NHS, which was timed for the 6 month anniversary of the date of my second jab

...visit NHS website

...login

...choice of venue (at least half a dozen within a short walk, car or bus journey from my location in Huddersfield.  Many more also listed in other local towns in West Yorkshire)

...plenty of dates and times available

...booking made

My impression is of a well thought through, efficient and effective programme.

It seems to be working well for most. But still IT glitches causing some people to be misdirected to centres that they can not get to. My cousin lives in Dover and was being directed to vac centres in Essex. Her sister got an appointment where she lives in Deal (only five miles from Dover).

• Agree 1

I had my booster about 3 weeks ago.

Almost to the day, I got an invite from NHS to book an appointment. Very quick and easy to do, this was Friday, and I booked an appointment for the next Wednesday, at a pharmacy in the next village about 10 miles away. 

We had our 1st & 2nd jabs, via our local GP, but at the local (small) hospital about 5 miles away. Due to demand at the time we couldn't get in together, we were about a week apart, but it was all efficiently done.

With the booster, we actually discussed on the Thursday that we would soon get ours, and the NHS invite (for me) came the next day. After booking mine at that pharmacy, she got a text on Saturday from the GP to book hers at the hospital again, and I got the same text on Monday! So Monday morning, I booked us both in together at the hospital, and cancelled the pharmacy one. I had to wait the extra few days, but it made things easier. As I've found all the way through, very efficiently organised and a credit to our wonderful NHS. I can't criticise them  at all.

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram
  • Like 1