Hornby Announce L&MR 0-4-2 "Lion"?

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Gold

The new episode of "Signal Box" on YouTube mentions the Lion release but does not show any image of Lion.

Instead it shows a still from the Titfield Thunderbolt featuring 1401 and a poster for the film.

Strange, when Hornby don't have the rights for the film tie-in... What's wrong with promoting Lion as Lion?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thNe29h3wAo

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

19 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

The new episode of "Signal Box" on YouTube mentions the Lion release but does not show any image of Lion.

Why, it's almost as if they'd announced something they'd barely started work on ;)

Edited by Edwardian
spelling!
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, WisTramwayMan said:

It would be very nice to match up with the Model Rail / Rapido J70s as well.

That increases the possibility of a W&U coach IMHO as it would increase the sales potential. And it will also go with the J15 (Tiptree branch).

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 19/03/2021 at 17:53, Harlequin said:

Instead it shows a still from the Titfield Thunderbolt featuring 1401 and a poster for the film.

Strange, when Hornby don't have the rights for the film tie-in... What's wrong with promoting Lion as Lion?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thNe29h3wAo

Maybe they are doing a 14xx ?

in the video it says it will be launched end of this year or next, next suggests 2022 catalog. But with not even a CAD to show at this stage, I wonder if this is a rush to market job ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, adb968008 said:

in the video it says it will be launched end of this year or next, next suggests 2022 catalog. But with not even a CAD to show at this stage, I wonder if this is a rush to market job ?

So young, and yet so cynical?

;)

• Like 3

Wow How have I missed this I will most certainly pre order one! Hornby I might just email them my bank details ( I am joking please no one do this just my excitement! )  so they can just send anything they make to me I am amazed with what they have announced it is almost as if Hornby ideally eventually will reproduce everything British railway related in the next 20 years!  who knows what next will they venture into Narrow gauge?! 

• Like 1

On 08/03/2021 at 17:24, banburysaint said:

For me a bucket list locomotive, as i went to Rainhill 150 when i was very small and enjoyed a number of rides behind Lion when she was allowed out to play from Liverpool Museum. Looking back it is remarkable that the loco was restored for use, we were very lucky to see her in steam. 183 years old now.

I wonder how many locomotives we are off from being able to recreate Rainhill 150 from ready to run products? 

One day it could happen with all other manufactures of course  Hornby, Bachmann, Dapol, Heljan, Hatton's, Rails etc  That would be fantastic to produce a replica layout set of Rainhill Rocket 150! It could be constructed even with the Pylons re created in OO gauge. It could be filmed with an Ultra HD camera and edited with the audio taken from the 1980 BBC TV broadcast. with their permission of course with a copyright disclaimer the original audio is copyrighted by BBC Studios 1980 etc. like you I would love to see a recreation of Rainhill 150 in OO gauge.  

• Like 2

So this beautiful locomotive is due in 2022 I can probably guess the cover artwork for the 2022 catalogue then since Hornby centenary in 2020 and this years 2021 the cover designs this decade has been very beautiful illustrated paintings watercolours drawings prints etc!

attached Photo  © David Heys collection 2021 | All Rights Reserved.

3c3b0ca0ddf935c1805abd86c93e7c9b.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Edwardian said:

So young, and yet so cynical?

;)

I’m not that young, I remember riding behind it.

(though not in LMR service, unless thats what you mean :D).

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
On 21/03/2021 at 00:08, adb968008 said:

Yeah the fact that they are not showing CADS would suggest that this is at a very early stage .  I think they had intended to do it , but maybe had rested on their laurels a bit much not thinking anyone else would do Era 1 .  So getting wind of Rapido , they've rushed announcement out with not much to show .  You would have thought they might have stretched to a photograph or a illustration that Ryan N91 has just shown .   After all there will be some people , in their fan base, who don't know what Lion looks like .

For me there are huge amounts of models to spend money on . I got carried away last year and ordered Rocket .  It has been round the layout but looks a bit incongruous sitting beside all my other locos, so now sits in my book case as an expensive ornament . I think its unlikely Lion will be joining her . 

Edited by Legend
mixed metaphor!
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, RyanN91 said:

So this beautiful locomotive is due in 2022 I can probably guess the cover artwork for the 2022 catalogue then since Hornby centenary in 2020 and this years 2021 the cover designs this decade has been very beautiful illustrated paintings watercolours drawings prints etc!

attached Photo  © David Heys collection 2021 | All Rights Reserved.

3c3b0ca0ddf935c1805abd86c93e7c9b.jpg

Is the lady on the right pregnant?

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Legend said:

Yeah the fact that they are not showing CADS would suggest that this is at a very early stage .  I think they had intended to do it , but maybe had relaxed on their laurels a bit much not thinking anyone else would do Era 1 .  So getting wind of Rapido , they've rushed announcement out with not much to show .  You would have thought they might have stretched to a photograph or a illustration that Ryan N91 has just shown .   After all there will be some people , in their fan base, who don't know what Lion looks like .

For me there are huge amounts of models to spend money on . I got carried away last year and ordered Rocket .  It has been round the layout but looks a bit incongruous sitting beside all my other locos, so now sits in my book case as an expensive ornament . I think its unlikely Lion will be joining her . 

Over the years, I have gradually learned to spot locos that are likely receive similar treatment in my hands, though the lessons weren't cheap.

I still slip up occasionally but did manage to fight off the temptation of Rocket and that should make it easier to resist Lion as well.

Cute little Industrial locos are, unfortunately, another matter entirely.:jester: 

John

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Dunsignalling said:

Over the years, I have gradually learned to spot locos that are likely receive similar treatment in my hands, though the lessons weren't cheap.

I still slip up occasionally but did manage to fight off the temptation of Rocket and that should make it easier to resist Lion as well.

Cute little Industrial locos are, unfortunately, another matter entirely.:jester: 

John

Yes been there too . Got the Huntley and Palmers Peckett and Hattons  "Katie", lovely to look at , but again a bit out of place . Even succumbed to a L&Y 2-4-2T  which is of very limited use . I really need to resist!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Legend said:

Yes been there too . Got the Huntley and Palmers Peckett and Hattons  "Katie", lovely to look at , but again a bit out of place . Even succumbed to a L&Y 2-4-2T  which is of very limited use . I really need to resist!

From the number of people I know who I wouldn't expect to have one, but do (me included), I think the L&Y tank may be the most successful "impulse buy" loco ever produced.

Fortunately, mine is in BR livery so a rake of 6-wheel coaches will not be "needed"....

Hardwicke is the one I'm currently having a real problem resisting.

John 

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 21/03/2021 at 00:08, adb968008 said:

By Hornby's usual standards it would be a rush job to get it out in 2022 although they might just scrape Q4.   And if it is rushed what will be lost in the process or what will be stood aside to give it a clearer run?   Although it almost certainly was on Hornby's list it seems to have been some way down it so like the Terrier will they be rushing it through (without even the benefit of someone else's project to help this time)?   And will they now update the 14XX because it's 'their' model - even if it was actually Airfix's originally and Hornby have only inherited it?   

And as for life's temptations how on earth could I resist the H&P Peckett (I didn't), or the Locomotion version of the 'Terrier' and I'll keep quiet about the Stirling Single and the Lanky tank engine.  Hornby need to capture that sort of 'irresistible originality'. but it needs people who understand railways and what will be attractive so that they can make a market instead of following it.  I would have thought that what Hornby needs is some original thinking - like they managed with the first Peckett and their various subsequent industrials - rather than going down the gazumping avenue.   The slice of the cake available to them is shrinking because there are so many newcomers in the marketplace now, often with more agility and original thinking, and going down the duplication road does nobody any good.

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 4

32 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

From the number of people I know who I wouldn't expect to have one, but do (me included), I think the L&Y tank may be the most successful "impulse buy" loco ever produced.

Fortunately, mine is in BR livery so a rake of 6-wheel coaches will not be "needed"....

Hardwicke is the one I'm currently having a real problem resisting.

John 

As well as the above how about the Johnson 1P especially in Midland red just right for a few 6 wheelers! 

Another to consider the LNWR Coal Tank !

Edited by johnd
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, johnd said:

As well as the above how about the Johnson 1P especially in Midland red just right for a few 6 wheelers! 

Mine is BR black and suits my 1958-62 S&D-line interests, in company with my pair of detailed Airfix lavatory non-corridors, marshalled van-inwards.....

I don't consider that particular loco needs a fancy paint job to make it irresistible....

John

• Friendly/supportive 3

3 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Mine is BR black and suits my 1958-62 S&D-line interests, in company with my pair of detailed Airfix lavatory non-corridors, marshalled van-inwards.....

I don't consider that particular loco needs a fancy paint job to make it irresistible....

John

Agree it stands on its own merit as do all the 1880/90s locos produced.

• Like 2