Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold

Well, I think that's enough for today from me chaps.  Feeling a bit tired now (cue violins...)

My largest loco, the Grange, just fits on the table.  I've also made a start on butchering the Dapol girders.  They had a massive seam line along the top, and also some deep sink marks on the inside faces (not surprising when you consider how old the moulds are I suppose).

image.png.ce1eaa8213fcd4e97984fa594246dfde.png

image.png.bbf2014a93ec30148406c4c717ee7860.png

I did consider filling the sink marks, but thought it would be difficult to sand them smooth afterwards as they are right in the corners, so I cut some thin plastic card to cover them instead.

image.png.cfde6158c239f9b28d78a43e21283441.png 

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

Well, I think that's enough for today from me chaps.  Feeling a bit tired now (cue violins...)

My largest loco, the Grange, just fits on the table.  I've also made a start on butchering the Dapol girders.  They had a massive seam line along the top, and also some deep sink marks on the inside faces (not surprising when you consider how old the moulds are I suppose).

IMG20220211203722.jpg.141bb5b991151b82bd717b739358973d.jpg

IMG20220211205401.jpg.98f04f4a9e65366b604a66aa372a187e.jpg

I did consider filling the sink marks, but thought it would be difficult to sand them smooth afterwards as they are right in the corners, so I cut some thin plastic card to cover them instead.

IMG20220211210704.jpg.4ced5dac1def7e3e38c5a19758b20739.jpg

I would recommend a beer then

• Like 2

Hi Graham,
After seeing your method of covering the ejector pin holes on the turntable bridge I intend to do the same but will also use coloured sheet to enable me to hopefully achieve a better joint between the brown and cream especially now that I have the bridge girders assembled.

I have made an indexing system that you may want to ponder which works very well and comprises a circular sub-plate which will be below the baseboard and connected to the turntable bridge spindle.

Basic operation is :- servo arm moves detent out of v- groove, left side micro switch starts turntable and index plate drive motor whilst nose of detent bears on outside of disk until next v-groove, right side micro switch cuts bridge rails feed to prevent Loco moving whilst turntable is rotating.

Have had to compress my photos which was a bit of a learning curve but found IMG2GO free editing tool in case anyone else is struggling.

3724550D-4007-4BA3-8A00-4837885706BE.jpg

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Speaking of which, a bit more progress has been made so far today.  I fixed the girders together, added I-beams under the bridge, and also constructed a box to hide the pivot.  I tried adding rivets to the top of the girders using Mr Surfacer, but I'm not sure how well that has worked out!  I can also see that one of the I-beams needs a trim...

image.png.514e2ef430411f2517ac0841a45ba7af.png

image.png.9c46b36fa7581d2b32617d18a34e0f26.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold

I see that the Minehead table has what I guess is a warning sign mounted on top of one of the girders, near to the end.  Does anyone know what that actually is, and if there is an etched one available anywhere?  It would be a nice little detail to add.

• Agree 1

It's a warning to loco crews not to walk between the bridge girders and a loco being turned. I don't recall the exact wording but I do know that someone on here has had one made.

It may be worth putting a question on the GWR model and prototype section on the site.

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

It's a warning to loco crews not to walk between the bridge girders and a loco being turned. I don't recall the exact wording but I do know that someone on here has had one made.

It may be worth putting a question on the GWR model and prototype section on the site.

Great, thanks Mr W.

• RMweb Gold

image.png.29025e4a146678fe85d21f7091cf00d4.png

I know the spacing looks odd but that's pretty close to how it was.

I can send you a 4mm version to print if you're interested - at the correct scale the relief of the characters is so small as to be negligible and it would be very hard to paint the lettering distinctly from the background of an etch.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Graham T said:

If you could send me one to print that would be fantastic - thanks very much!

Afternoon Graham, I’ve just gone through your thread and was about to recommend speaking to Phil….

His sign is at the end of the table at Henley-on-Thames.

• RMweb Gold

The girders are now fixed to the deck.  I decided to put all the rivets on, although I don't know if they'll even be visible once the table is painted.  I also added plasticard around the wheel housings to neaten those up.  Everything still rotates, which is a bit of a bonus :)

I'll also add some small pieces of card to fill in the gaps at the end of the deck, where I had to cut the MDF pieces to fit the wheels in their new positions, the poles used for turning the deck (no idea what they're actually called I'm afraid), and also access ladders from the centre of the deck to the well.  I might leave the ladders until the end of the build though, because I'll only break them otherwise!  Also need to put in a walkway from the edge of the well to the centre, and a couple of drains.

Oh, and figure out how to get power from the brass rings to the rails...  Hopefully I'll find out the answer to that problem from Mike Greenwood on Monday.

image.png.4f18342b5f22a9a96b7d0574c4027ba8.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

A little bit more tinkering has been done this morning.  Gaps in the deck covered, and handles fitted.  I've also decided to add metal plates between the rails on the deck, I think I'll leave the timbers on the outer edges though.

I'm now pondering whether or not to add a walkway across the pit.  I'm probably going to line it with minced up chinchillas so that it looks like gravel, and pop in a couple of drains, but can't seem to find a reference regarding said walkways.  Anybody have an idea?

While searching I turned a couple of interesting pages for anyone else trying to figure out GW turntables:

Old Oak Common heritage recoding of 70ft turntable

The Tyseley Turntables

And here's the scene at Chuffnell R this morning.  I'll be glad when I get this thing in place so the spindle doesn't have to keep sticking up in the air!

image.png.6e14a3a52ad5380bdfb48231ee416833.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

I can't install the turntable into the baseboards until I've got some of the new track down, so that I can check the alignment all works as planned (which would be a first for Chuffnell regis, come to think of it...)

So, ripping up and re-laying of track has commenced - again!  First candidate is the headshunt, which has been re-positioned to allow more space for the shed and turntable.  That has meant that the PW hut has had to be lifted too, which I was pleased to be able to do without destroying it.  I also took the opportunity to extend the headshunt a little.  You'll see that I'm using a new length of bullhead track; I've been able to re-cycle track before if it had only been ballasted, but the previous headshunt had also received the Das treatment, and so didn't survive being (rather brutally) lifted.

Next stage will be to lift the two points on the goods siding and cattle dock, then do battle with the single slip...  Wish me luck!

image.png.db1bcc617de7cddc9df10f7d9da41fd2.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Omg - slow down @Graham T

Don’t go ripping up the track so quickly….

I don’t  know, I turn my back for a day and it all changes….. slow down…..

Hope it’s all ok and the new track fits and your happy with it.

Good luck.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Never fear!  I have a cunning plan :)

Actually, I do.  I'm going with the plan that got thrashed out a few pages ago, using the single slip between the goods yard and the engine shed/turntable area.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well the new headshunt works, which is nice :)  

Think I'd better add a buffer sometime though, before we have a runaway ending up in the river...

image.png.7c0cb018802a244de28e7efcc54569d4.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 7