GWR Collett 4000 Tender Query at Barry

justin

Attached is part of a scan of a recently acquired slide stamped April 1982. The Collett 4000 gallon tender is marked as sold with 5972 Olton Hall. What intrigues me is there are ordinary buffers at the footplate end of the tender. I have only seen this with tenders taken into departmental service. However apart from DS70183, the LBSC tender used as a water tank, I wasn't aware that Woodham's bought any tenders from BR other than those that came with locomotives. I did wonder if the new owner had done it to facilitate movement but it doesn't look like they have been newly added and it doesn't seem that likely anyway. The front of the tender is facing north and the only locos with 4000 gallon tenders that came into Woodhams facing that way were 4942, 5043, 6023 & 6024. The tender from 5043 was sold as a steel works ingot carrier while 6023 & 6024 left with the same tenders they arrived with. This leaves 4942 which did leave with another loco's tender but that doesn't explain the buffers on this tender. The only other information I have is from other photos I have seen that show that at one stage the number 2911 was painted just below the bottom edge of the tank of this tender.

Can anyone say if this is a departmental tender or knows what happened to the tender that was with 4942?

GWR Collett 4000 gallon 2911 Woodham Bros, Barry Slide stamped April 1982.jpg

In the late 1970's early 1980's I lived in Greenford, a number of times I travelled between Greenford and Ealing by train,  there were some sidings just before the line joined the main line at Ealing, there was an ex GWR tender with buffers at both ends amongst the rolling stock stored there, the stock disappeared in the early 1980's, I do not recall the date, my last journey along the line was 1985 after which I left the area, the sidings ere still there and did not appear to have been used since the early 1980's.

On 01/04/2021 at 11:07, Steamport Southport said:

4942s tender was still with it until the conversion started in earnest.

I presume it's still at Didcot.

Jason

The tender that 4942 arrived at Didcot with was different from the tender it had when it arrived at Barry. The GWS bought another tender from Woodhams for 4942 and left her original tender at Barry when they took the loco in 1974.

17 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

.... without - I guess - fitting a spare pair of buffers to it just to make it easier for Dai's guys to shunt !

Possibly, but from the way they dealt with derailments, I doubt an extra pair of buffers would be seen as essential...

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 29/04/2021 at 20:21, tomparryharry said:

The tender in question initially went to Pontypool & Blaenavon, as part of the Rippingale collection :- Now dispersed/sold.

That’s interesting. The tender Terry Rippingale bought for 5967 was definitely in departmental use. Do you have any photos of it at Blaenavon. The only ones I can find on the internet show it without buffers at the front but these were taken afternoon 2000 so they could have been removed at some stage in preservation.

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, justin said:

That’s interesting. The tender Terry Rippingale bought for 5967 was definitely in departmental use. Do you have any photos of it at Blaenavon. The only ones I can find on the internet show it without buffers at the front but these were taken afternoon 2000 so they could have been removed at some stage in preservation.

The tender that was at Blaenavon very definitely had buffers.  That said, it doesn't harm to check.