Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Radio Controlled Boat Enthusiasts

Ray Von

Hi all, I've checked the forum using the "hit and miss" search system and only turned up one vaguely pertinent thread for the above subject:

I've just got back from the local tidal pool (very choppy!) Having taken a cheap n cheerful radio controlled boat for a test run.  It is a gift for my partner's 7 year old - and of course, I had to try it out first(!)

I've never owned anything radio controlled before, and I've got to say, what a great time I had!!

I followed the shoreline - not wanting to have the thing go out of range in 8ft of freezing water!  During it's maiden voyage the vessel was targeted by a very large breed of playful puppy, who made a beeline from the sands into the pool and plunged determinedly for the unprepared boat (full ahead both, out into deeper waters!!) The hound got within nipping distance before finally heeding it's owner's cries to desist!

After this encounter, I piloted the little boat a full 30 yards away from me - along the shoreline about 5 yards out, before "coming about(?)" and returning to safe harbour.

A bit more random manoeuvring followed, and a family passed by with a small boy, who immediately became fascinated by my amateurish seamanship:

"I like that boat!"

"Yeah?" (Be gone!)

"I'd like to drive it!"

"Hmmm." (Seriously, scram!!)

"Can I have a go!?" (By now mum dad and little sister are off in the distance!)

"You'd better ask your Mum?" (That'll get rid of him...)

"Ermmm...." (This means "Mum will say "No." ")

A pause.

"Can I drive it?!"

"Ok."

- full steam ahead, becoming smaller and smaller - out into the cold and distant centre of the grey choppy pool!

"I'm gonna make it go right out!!"

(Argh!)

"I think I just need to bring it a bit closer in..." (Hand over the controller, you little monster! - Mum and Dad still not concerned about their boy talking to a stranger.)

Radio control safely back in my "capable" hands, he watches as the boat bounces along parallel to the shore, then he wants to know how it works - I lift the boat from the water, turn it over and explain (trying to sound like I know what I'm talking about) how, when you push the lever forward both propellers spin - WHIZZ!! round they go.  At the same time, in comes his questing finger - to see what a spinning propeller feels like... 

I release the control lever, narrowly avoiding a severed fingertip for him - and probably a punch up the bracket from Dad!

"Ok, well I'll have to be getting home now." (Little so and so, I was planning to stay much longer than this!)

He follows me up the slope with all kinds of questions - not least of all "Will you be here tomorrow!?" I mutter noncommittally.  Mum and Dad are at the top of the slope, I inform them that the boat cost £15 on eBay - they say thanks.  The last thing I hear the boy say is, "Daddy, I need a boat!"

All in all, I had a great time - and it looks like I inspired someone!

Now I might have to get a boat of my own, any recommendations...?

Edited by Ray Von
  • Like 3
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

You know I've always fancied it . In days of old there used to be exhibitions of Model Clyde Steamers or sometimes warships in the local park, Barshaw Park, Paisley . When I visit Wonderland Models inn Edinburgh they always have some great R/C ships in the window . Maybe one day.

• Like 2

Try Howes Models, they have a good selection of kits and rtr boats. The Aeronaut kits seem well regarded and the Hobby Engine Southampton rtr tug has been around years and has had good reviews. SLEC do a number of boat kits from the old Keil Kraft and Veron ranges, but much improved with CNC cutting etc.

HTH

idd

• Like 1

My others and looking forward to meeting the chaps in 2 weeks time down the pond hopefully in the sunshine we are having now. I also RC fly but these are much more relaxing and you can have a cuppa at the same time!

I weird how some fella love these and cant resist a chat on how they are made and some fellas just could not give a toss and they are 'toys'

I don't mind handing over control to the kids if it gives them some kid of interest in actually making something or trying something new out, I do have a little fireboat I use which the nephew managed to collide with Talacre and it promptly started to sink!, Luckily I was actually in a wet suit as we were messing with my own kids in the Reservoir so I leapt in to save it!

1/48 Caldercraft Talacre. Lovely model.

49687501782_d1c5f04aff_b.jpg.ba1e761cd1877b33428aa875a71b6629.jpg

49687505127_6ae35266e7_b.jpg

1/24 Mountfleet Clyde Puffer

49913500268_ce4a96784a_k.jpg

49939411162_6981e56dc0_k.jpg

50033416881_8502e31746_k.jpg

This is the SAR kit, Cheap but you need the radio gear and motor / Battery to get going but nice and fast!

image.png

Edited by Georgeconna
  • Like 16
  • Round of applause 1

Here's the source of the fun I had today:

16173909874289096141450834037882.jpg.d84def78f2f5ef3afde10601ae4144ee.jpg

Yes, I know what you're thinking...  However, for a 7 year old boy I think it's a smashing little boat!  I have to say - that at some years senior to that - I'd quite happily propel this around the boating pool til the cows came home!

Now, on to the critique: I had great fun with this model at the beach today, no doubt about that.  Quick tech specs, remote control - 9 volt smoke alarm type battery.  Boat itself, nice little rechargeable battery pack - basically 4 AA in a shrink wrap with a connecting wire soldered onto a unique USB connecting charger. On arrival back home I noticed the inevitable sloshing from within the body of the boat, despite pretty rigourous sealing around the removable cabin (where the batteries live) 

As any good RMweb member would do, I dismantled the boat.  Inside I discovered a rather vulnerable PCB, I found a ziplock bag and sealed this therein.  I also noted that the water must have found its way in through the join between the hull and deck - out came the mastic! 

I'm reasonably happy that the boat is somewhat improved, but for fifteen quid I don't expect miracles! 

• Like 6

I have been rather tempted to buy one of the cheaper (£100-£150) radio yachts as there is a model boating pond in the next town, plus the town has a model shop for radio controlled models. Do I buy a cheaper one from eBay or pay 50% more to buy one from the shop and get all the advice I need, I am erring on the latter 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, hayfield said:

Do I buy a cheaper one from eBay or pay 50% more to buy one from the shop and get all the advice I need, I am erring on the latter 

Why not go down to the pond and speak to those who are sailing there?  Some ponds are better for certain types of yachts, depending on topography and prevailing winds, and getting some advice on what sails best may reduce the risk of disappointment.  Most enthusiasts are happy to share thoughts.

Best wishes

Roddy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Do boat enthusiasts share their thoughts

I've always found those sailing at a pond happy to share advice, as long as they know you are really interested and willing to listen.  But always try to pick the owner of the type of boat you are interested in. Don't ask a fast electric enthusiast about yachts and expect an in depth reply, and vis versa.

Best wishes 

Roddy 

• 2 weeks later...

*Update and a Question*

A break in the windy weather and the boat was presented to it's new (7 year old) Captain today!  Great fun was had, so much so that I forgot to take any pics(!) 

Dogs, including my own faithful hound, seem particularly taken by it (anyone who's seen Godzilla Vs King Kong will be pleased to know that shutting down engines really is the best way to avoid trouble!)

Range was approximately 90ft - amazing for the price I thought.  Battery life was around 45mins, but I completely lost track of time to be honest!!! 

We even managed to retrieve an errant tennis ball that was bobbing about some yards from shore.

I'm very tempted to get one of my own (for races and whatnot) - the question is, if an identical model runs on the same frequency (24mhz) will there be interference of signals??? 

28 minutes ago, Ray Von said:

- the question is, if an identical model runs on the same frequency (24mhz) will there be interference of signals??? 

If properly designed and manufactured, there should be no risk of interference.  2.4GHz transmitters and receivers are joined by "binding" which means that they are electronically linked.  It is not like the old 27MHz transmitters which needed to work on a separate channel to others to avoid interference.

Buy one and have fun!

Best wishes 

Roddy 

Edited by Roddy Angus
Typing error
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Ray Von said:

*Update and a Question*

A break in the windy weather and the boat was presented to it's new (7 year old) Captain today!  Great fun was had, so much so that I forgot to take any pics(!) 

Dogs, including my own faithful hound, seem particularly taken by it (anyone who's seen Godzilla Vs King Kong will be pleased to know that shutting down engines really is the best way to avoid trouble!)

Range was approximately 90ft - amazing for the price I thought.  Battery life was around 45mins, but I completely lost track of time to be honest!!! 

We even managed to retrieve an errant tennis ball that was bobbing about some yards from shore.

I'm very tempted to get one of my own (for races and whatnot) - the question is, if an identical model runs on the same frequency (24mhz) will there be interference of signals??? 

It shouldn't be 24MHz.  Are you sure that's what it is on?

Best

Scott.

27 minutes ago, Ray Von said:

I think (Hope) you mean 2.4ghz. That's the modern (last 5-6 years) control option. There's no worry about clashing frequencies as once the transmitter and receiver are bound together, they ignore all others.

For help and advice, see if there is a local model boat club. They can still meet outdoors, so you can get help. There are also a couple of forums:

https://www.modelboats.co.uk/ - Part of the group who publish Model Boats magazine, also well worth picking up each month.

https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/

If you are lucky enough to have a local model shop that can help - USE THEM. Yes, ordering direct from China might be cheaper, but they don't do much customer service and certainly can't put you in touch with other model boaters.

Beware - model boating is a much smaller hobby than railway modelling. The kits tend to be more basic and some of the RTR is horrible, although this is getting better. Some cheap fast looking boats are anything but. However, there are plenty of good options. You can also consider the 2nd hand market as perfectly good model boats are sold for a few pence.

Personally, I love model boating. There's something relaxing about pottering around on a pond with a boat. I've a lot on my blog on the subject.

pigeon pie.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

If you are lucky enough to have a local model shop that can help - USE THEM.

Unfortunately my local model shop, which I used regularly, has long since closed.

12 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

I think (Hope) you mean 2.4ghz.

In actual fact it's 27mhz....