Helston Revisited

Andy Keane

• RMweb Premium

Canopies fixed and lights added. I have lots of lights all set very low, including slight glows in the fire places. Also three Gaugemaster bracket gas lamps under the canopies, one on the road side and two for the platform.

Quite pleased that given its large windows its possible to see some of the interior detail.

20220821_172359.jpg.d9e4210164fe3e9d764814acf472293d.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Premium
On 22/08/2022 at 14:47, Andy Keane said:

Another small indulgence on the second hand market:

20220822_143622.jpg.d97d9083ff8c11214033f82b001050cb.jpg

I really must stop buying diesels.

I have now done a light job of cab detailing. Toned down the very yellow colour, picked out some of the raised stuff, added a crew and also put a blob of paint on the cab light to tone it down a bit.

Before:

20220824_084209.jpg.c7e025e845ad42e2e2c93b793f1b0113.jpg

After:

20220824_105445.jpg.88b080737f172ff3cacaef7ee80a1e84.jpg

20220824_105558.jpg.cb245c0267f9c8c85bdd626cc07306bb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ponthir28 said:

But it’s a proper diesel not one of those funny diesel electric.

It certainly is! I have also done the same to my other proper diesel.

before:

20220824_132220.jpg.01c6baac56e36b16da897efb48c27c14.jpg

After with cab detail, crew, side valances, kadee couplings and toned down cab lights:

20220824_144552.jpg.56afeab54a036b1514f7a2e3614579ff.jpg

I have no idea why manufacturers go for these very bright cab lights - the last thing a driver would want in the dark.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Andy Keane said:

I have no idea why manufacturers go for these very bright cab lights - the last thing a driver would want in the dark.

I've no idea why manufacturers fit cab lights at all!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I've no idea why manufacturers fit cab lights at all!

At least I can turn them on and off.

I next have to decide what to do about head-code discs on the little type 22. Its a subject I know very little about so some research is called for. The Dapol setup comes with a little bag of these (eight white open ones and eight closed semi-circle black ones). I suppose they would all be closed on the rear end and some open and some closed on the font depending on train type?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

I suppose they would all be closed on the rear end and some open and some closed on the font depending on train type?

More likely the rear end displaying whatever was last used, just with lights off?

This is based on what happened with headcode blinds in later years, so a bit of speculation on my part.

Paul.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andy Keane said:

At least I can turn them on and off.

I next have to decide what to do about head-code discs on the little type 22. Its a subject I know very little about so some research is called for. The Dapol setup comes with a little bag of these (eight white open ones and eight closed semi-circle black ones). I suppose they would all be closed on the rear end and some open and some closed on the font depending on train type?

11 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

More likely the rear end displaying whatever was last used, just with lights off?

This is based on what happened with headcode blinds in later years, so a bit of speculation on my part.

Paul.

The proper answer is yours Andy. The real answer is Paul's! For Type 2s, The hinge was vertical and, looking at the "face" of the loco, the green closed discs were in the form of a "3rd quarter" moon for the top, bottom left and bottom centre discs. The bottom right disc was in the form of a "1st quarter" moon.

1921181624_20210921001D6306andD6307detailed.JPG.013df93c24962ce45b82a2e9394752f5.JPG

This photo shows mine with the discs indicating a Class C train (parcels or ECS).

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

The proper answer is yours Andy. The real answer is Paul's! For Type 2s, The hinge was vertical and, looking at the "face" of the loco, the green closed discs were in the form of a "3rd quarter" moon for the top, bottom left and bottom centre discs. The bottom right disc was in the form of a "1st quarter" moon.

1921181624_20210921001D6306andD6307detailed.JPG.013df93c24962ce45b82a2e9394752f5.JPG

This photo shows mine with the discs indicating a Class C train (parcels or ECS).

Thanks for this - I notice yours are green not black when closed. Not sure why the ones with the loco are black - I guess the paint can will be needed. And as far as the web is concerned the layout would be just the same as used for oil lamps on steam locos?

PS - is the idea that the LED lights on the model shine through the little holes in the open disks only?

Edited by Andy Keane

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

Thanks for this - I notice yours are green not black when closed. Not sure why the ones with the loco are black - I guess the paint can will be needed. And as far as the web is concerned the layout would be just the same as used for oil lamps on steam locos?

PS - is the idea that the LED lights on the model shine through the little holes in the open disks only?

I can't remember whether I painted mine or not - I don't think so.

Yes, the lamp arrangement was the same as for steam locos, using the 1950 patterns. The lamps shone through the white disc as you say.

By the way, I think I fitted mine with the 1st and 3rd quarters wrong but I'm not changing them now! Best check with photos (as always).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andy Keane said:

Now I look more closely the closed discs are in fact green so no paint needed. Also the sprues are marked U, D, L and R against the various discs.

Edited by Andy Keane
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There are some picture of T22s at Helston on the web at:

http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/uploads/7/6/8/3/7683812/4070156_orig.jpg

http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/uploads/7/6/8/3/7683812/5239040_orig.jpg

and 

http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/uploads/7/6/8/3/7683812/helston-last-day-d6392-3rd-november-1962-michael-forward-copy_1_orig.jpg

These show shots with all discs closed and one with a disc set for a branch freight train despite it pulling a rake of carriages!

Edited by Andy Keane
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I'be inclined to go for the headcode you're most likely to use the loco on - either a Class B passenger or a local freight.  I really wonder to just what extent they bothered with them on self-contained workings on the branch by then?  Steam age I would have said most likely to be lamping things properly but things seem to have slipped a bit when diesels arrived although they usually got things right on the main line routes.

Incidentally the lights behind the disc should only be turned on  at night or if there is a 'listed' tunnel on the route where head and tail lights were required to be lit in daylight hours.  similarly with 4 character headcodes - only required to be turned on at night etc and the red electric tail lights were not permitted to be used so a light engine had to carry an ordinary (oil) tail lamp.

I agree with St Enodoc regarding cab light - I can't really see the point of them except to let you see into the cab because they were more or less invariably kept off when running as they didn't help night vision and the sighting of signals, especially semaphore signals.  The only time I ever saw them turned on was when either getting into or getting ready to leave a cab and sorting out various bits and pieces.  Far more likely ata cold time of year to have the hotplate turned on to help warm up the cab a bit 😇

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

In the end I have done the two ends differently, one for passenger and one for freight (slightly annoying is the light leaking out from under the bodywork on the lower lamps but hey ho):

20220825_131937.jpg.8b00acf53f04de6591df52256e79e0e6.jpg

20220825_132040.jpg.ef155ba374897252e020a2b2d08633f8.jpg

Edited by Andy Keane
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Graham T said:

A little dab of filler would fix the light leakage possibly.  Do you know of Mr Surfacer?

Mr Surfacer? is that some kind of filler? I normally use Vallejo Plastic Putty but it can be a bit runny.

Andy

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Graham T said:

It's like liquid plastic, apply with a cocktail stick, sand down once set.  Very useful stuff.

My problem is the light leaks between the chassis and the removable body. If I try and fill that it will stick the two together for good. Its not a big deal - I may try some paint and see what I can do with that.