Euston, we 'ave a problem...

tomparryharry

• RMweb Gold

I've recently responded to Jack Benson's request for Triang clerestory coaches.  From that, I perused 'Bay myself regarding said coaches.  Advertised within is-was a Triang-Hornby  brake coach. *Code 3*  What is *Code 3*? Does it have a siren? Or , is the clerestory  portion replaced by a light bar? 

"Control, we have a problem, over"

"Go ahead, over"

"We've got a guy with a train set, and a *Code 3* T-shirt, walking down main Street, over"

" Those goddam Limeys with their twisted sense of humor! Run him in!"

"But Boss! He's got a * Code 3*  T-shirt....". 

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

I think Code 3 is a term used in the model bus fraternity, maybe elsewhere, indicating a non-factory paint finish. A critical factor in deciding value where original is best, for collectors as distinct from modellers. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

The topic heading has reminded me of an American woman I used to work with.

She kept referring to Euston as Houston. At first I wondered where she was talking about because we worked in London so there was no way she could commute via Texas!

After the initial confusion, we had a giggle about it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

The topic heading has reminded me of an American woman I used to work with.

She kept referring to Euston as Houston. At first I wondered where she was talking about because we worked in London so there was no way she could commute via Texas!

After the initial confusion, we had a giggle about it.

Not quite so far away, but still a lengthy daily commute:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston_railway_station_(Scotland)

• Like 2

According to Pat Hammond in Ramsay's British Model Trains, a Code 3 model is 'one that has been finished outside the factory by a secondary 'manufacturer'. These are often retailers who buy a quantity of a certain model and re-release it in a modified form. To count as a Code 3 it has to have been produced in modified form in quantity and to a common specification' So sorry, but not quite as intriguing as it first sounds ! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 14/04/2021 at 13:03, caradoc said:

According to Pat Hammond in Ramsay's British Model Trains, a Code 3 model is 'one that has been finished outside the factory by a secondary 'manufacturer'. These are often retailers who buy a quantity of a certain model and re-release it in a modified form. To count as a Code 3 it has to have been produced in modified form in quantity and to a common specification' So sorry, but not quite as intriguing as it first sounds ! 

Yes. 

Model road vehicles have used it for many years.

Code 1 is manufacturer released item such as a standard item in the Hornby catalogue. 

Code 2 is a limited or special edition made officially, such as a commission by a model shop. 

Code 3 is an unofficial product not originating from the manufacturer such as a weathered item or repaint. I didn’t know about the volume caveat as I thought a one off could still be a code 3. 

• Agree 1