The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Edd China's New Series Workshop Diaries

Captain Cuttle

10 hours ago, Captain Cuttle said:

Just found this on YT into the second week now looks to be very popular.

It has its uses!  

Currently I'm busy writing down the names of all the products he's using......since his jobs seem to go a lot  easier than mine!!!

Used to enjoy occasionally watching Wheeler Dealers when Edd was the mechanic, never liked Mike Wideboy. I've avoided the series since they gave Edd the elbow, so I'll have a look at his YT offerings!

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

You may already know but Mike Brewer is a successful businessman with several car dealerships. Which made me smile when he comes up with those little gems which he found for the show.

I think i remember  reading somewhere that he isnt doing any more Wheeler Dealers?

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Captain Cuttle said:

You may already know but Mike Brewer is a successful businessman with several car dealerships. Which made me smile when he comes up with those little gems which he found for the show.

I think i remember  reading somewhere that he isnt doing any more Wheeler Dealers?

I hadn't realised he was so expansive!

Have you read Edds autobiography?  As he tells it, his ejection from WD was pretty much a coup, rather like what happened to the Myanmar ambassador to the UK the other day.

I only watched WD to see Edd fixing the cars, I always cringed away when Brewer appeared, his "hail fellow well met" approach when he came to the workshop particularly grated.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

11 hours ago, Hroth said:

I hadn't realised he was so expansive!

Carrying a bit more weight in the later programmes than when they started, but give the guy a break! 

But yes, Mike's Arfur Dayley gurning to camera was the least endearing part of the show, better when he actually divested knowledge on what to look out for on certain cars.

The "profit" part of the final selling on always struck me as something of a farce. Bought car for X sold for Y, totally disregard for cost of Edd, garage, tools, consumables etc. Nice work if you can get it Mike! 

Good background telly though, I hope Edd gets a better TV deal sometime.

C6T. 

• Agree 3

7 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

The "profit" part of the final selling on always struck me as something of a farce. Bought car for X sold for Y, totally disregard for cost of Edd, garage, tools, consumables etc. Nice work if you can get it Mike! 

Possibly all "costs" were part of the programme budget, the fact that some sort of notional profit was made on the sale of the vehicle probably kept the accountants happy!

I always felt sorry for the poor devils who seemed to sell the vehicle to Brewer for a knockdown price.

5 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I always felt sorry for the poor devils who seemed to sell the vehicle to Brewer for a knockdown price.

Don't. The private sellers got what they wanted, I'm sure. And Mike's dealer network had already added their 33%. 

Let's face it, nobody who told Mikey to "eff off" made it to the final edit.

C6T. 

• Funny 2

7 hours ago, Captain Cuttle said:

Another series i liked was Fantomworks, Dan Short certainly a character.

Something that floats around the digital channels during the daytime, along with Kindig something or other. Entertaining enough to keep viewing if come across, especially during lockdown, but now we're moving back into the real world I'll not have the opportunity to keep up with.

On 15/04/2021 at 21:41, Hroth said:

Used to enjoy occasionally watching Wheeler Dealers when Edd was the mechanic, never liked Mike Wideboy. I've avoided the series since they gave Edd the elbow, so I'll have a look at his YT offerings!

I concur, a good show ruined by the presenter. It's much the same with Car SOS, I like Fuzz the mechanic but Tim's childish antics and attempts at humour make Mike bearable!

On 15/04/2021 at 21:41, Hroth said:

Give the first series with Ant a miss. By the third someone sees sense and they get back to the original format. As episodes pass Ant almost becomes Ed's clone proving to be a good technical teacher.

Edited by doilum
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

He did have a showroom in Sheffield at one point don't know wether it's still there 

It’s still there,  along with one in Dunstable. The latter one was next to the MML at Leagrave until a couple of years back when it moved to a larger site.

2 minutes ago, RANGERS said:

It’s still there,  along with one in Dunstable. The latter one was next to the MML at Leagrave until a couple of years back when it moved to a larger site.

The Sheffield one was near Carlisle St East/Brightside lane area iirc

On 14/04/2021 at 22:31, Captain Cuttle said:

Just found this on YT into the second week now looks to be very popular.

I watched episode one, which I found interesting,  then started to watch episode two, where Edd is working on an old Range Rover. The pace of this episode seemed to be very slow moving. There is only a limited amount of interest that can be created from seeing someone trying to undo a nut and bolt.

On 17/04/2021 at 06:53, Hroth said:

Something that floats around the digital channels during the daytime, along with Kindig something or other. Entertaining enough to keep viewing if come across, especially during lockdown, but now we're moving back into the real world I'll not have the opportunity to keep up with.

Fantomworks are on  Facebook and now do a monthly video, last one  came out 25th March about 30mins long. They have 2.4k followers and over six hundred comments. Its a good completely factual show.

• Informative/Useful 1

26 minutes ago, rocor said:

I watched episode one, which I found interesting,  then started to watch episode two, where Edd is working on an old Range Rover. The pace of this episode seemed to be very slow moving. There is only a limited amount of interest that can be created from seeing someone trying to undo a nut and bolt.

But stripping down anything is frustrating and time consuming. Garage body work used to be like that from what i can remember in the sixties and seventies and we didnt have the bonus of the internet. Working on  old and rusty cars made mainly of steel takes time and can be a nightmare.

• Agree 1

On 17/04/2021 at 09:21, Gareth Collier said:

I concur, a good show ruined by the presenter. It's much the same with Car SOS, I like Fuzz the mechanic but Tim's childish antics and attempts at humour make Mike bearable!

16 hours ago, doilum said:

Give the first series with Ant a miss. By the third someone sees sense and they get back to the original format. As episodes pass Ant almost becomes Ed's clone proving to be a good technical teacher.

Yes, Car SOS is a good watch, at least there isn't the spiv-like monetary considerations that Mike Brewer brings to Wheeler Dealers, the cost of the repairs is (are they?) part of the programme budget . Tim is fond of jokes and pranks so old that they should have been scrapped years ago, they may make you wince in disbelief but they don't make you cringe. Tim infested The Great Model Railway Show with similar antics...

As for WD, the producers probably "saw sense" when viewing figures tended to the miniscule.  It may be too late to recover, it has been mentioned above that Mike Brewer doesn't want to do any more.

41 minutes ago, Captain Cuttle said:

But stripping down anything is frustrating and time consuming. Garage body work used to be like that from what i can remember in the sixties and seventies and we didnt have the bonus of the internet. Working on  old and rusty cars made mainly of steel takes time and can be a nightmare.

Maybe I am prejudiced from overdosing on YouTube videos that feature old rust ridden Range Rovers. I watched this one in its entirety from Soup Classic Motoring.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I sometimes think Edd China  and  James May might make a good television motoring programme. Both James & Edd present really well on the telly, each with their own particular view on things.   They also command a degree of respect & authority; something which some TV presenters sadly lack.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

On 18/04/2021 at 12:35, rocor said:

Maybe I am prejudiced from overdosing on YouTube videos that feature old rust ridden Range Rovers. I watched this one in its entirety from Soup Classic Motoring.

His Esprit series I was enjoying, but seems to have had a hiatus

All the best

Katy