Train Derails in Scotland

• RMweb Gold

Yes, that crane is pretty awesome.

This derailment isn't on the list of RAIB investigations. Is it just missing in error or have they chosen not to investigate it? Seems a little odd considering how much worse it could have been, and that it happened in spite of the system to detect rockfalls on this section.

It might just be that their is more than sufficient evidence to make the cause clear and any possible mitigations equally clear. On the other hand their resources might be stretched and they don't think it's worth diverting effort to take it on.

And for once when the Inspector said 'don't move anything until I get there' he would have been fairly certain that they wouldn't :lol:

The cause of the derailment may be "bleedin' obvious" but the cause of the landslip would then need investigating - Was there a drainage problem? Were any drains effective? What can be done to prevent a repeat? There was a derailment on the GSW a few years back where a blocked drain caused water to build up behind an embankment which subsequently collapsed with 156(?) falling into the hole.

Richard

Guest stuartp

The cause of the derailment may be "bleedin' obvious" but the cause of the landslip would then need investigating.

The line was built along an unstable hillside, the rock fall signals have been there since 1882 so it's a known problem. The second pic on the Railwayeye blog linked to by Birdseyecircus shows that the opposing signal for the preceding section (the one which the train just passed through) has in fact been triggered so it's possible that the rock fall happened while they were in section. (It's possible that it's on for a couple of other reasons too but it's not my investigation so I'm not speculating further).

According to Wikipedia (yes, I know...) the signals have been triggered many times but this is only the second derailment since the fence went up.

The Kyle line has an avalanche shelter and (I believe) extensive rock netting near Plockton for the same reason. The problem with those solutions is that you need something solid to anchor them to in the first place.

It's also possible that the RIAB clerk simply hasn't updated the website yet !

and other pics at this link

My link

Slight problem there, I need to be logged in to view these. Even though I've signed up and clicked the link in the welcome email as soon as I move away from the "you have been successfully logged in" page it tells me I'm no longer logged in and won't let me do anything ! If I click the login link at the top right it just brigs me back to the page I'm on. A problem with cookies?

I'm on Chrome Developer build on XP Sp3

First link - a +4MB picture, but probably worthwhile.

Second link - redirects you to these pictures:  http://www.ronrail.fotopic.net/c1860202.html

Cheers,

26power

Sorry some of you can't open the photos worked okay for me but I use a Mac ;) I got my info from

Scot-Rail forum at http://www.scot-rail.co.uk/message/212533

another link which may work is

WHL derailment info

hope this helps

The West Coast 37 dragged the unit to Inverness and they sent a 47 that was stationed at Glenfinnan as thunderbird. The 37 has moved back to Fort William and believe that the 47 is back at Carnforth.

Went along the A road the day after it had been opened and there are a number of the trees that have been cut down for the crane to access the track. Line has reopened as saw a few Oban trains whilst stood on Crianlarich station taking fots of Sheffield Wednesday on Alcan, 66111 on 4 oil tankers (both ex FW) plus the 67 on the sleeper (both up & down as I was staying 5 minutes from the station).

The West Coast 37 dragged the unit to Inverness and they sent a 47 that was stationed at Glenfinnan as thunderbird. The 37 has moved back to Fort William and believe that the 47 is back at Carnforth.

Inverness? From the Oban line?

Long way to tow half a Sprinter, surely, when Corkerhill or Glasgow Works are much closer by rail.

• RMweb Premium

The trailing coach was hauled by the 37 to Crianlarich on the Friday night where it was then stabled due to the driver being out of hours, it then followed the Sunday evening sleeper south from Crianlarich straight to Glasgow works with the leading coach making the same journey by road.

Interestingly due to roadworks and a bridge restriction the road move went via Glenoglehead and Callander following the route of the original Callander and Oban railway, it's a shame the move was carried out at night as there would have been an interesting picture opportunity with the viaduct at Glenoglehead in the background!

• RMweb Premium

That crane looks a lot like the ones which have been lifting the elevated sections of the M74 extension into place in Glasgow. Anyone know if it is one of the same?

According to a report in Rail magazine "the crane was coming from England" so it's probably not the same one.

Jamie

Inverness? From the Oban line?

Long way to tow half a Sprinter, surely, when Corkerhill or Glasgow Works are much closer by rail.

I was informed by someone that works for Freightliner in Leeds that it was a drag to Inverness according to what his TOPS systems said. Not sure that he was 100% accurate as he wasn't aware of Sheffield Wednesday running Alcan tanks from FW!

• RMweb Premium

I was informed by someone that works for Freightliner in Leeds that it was a drag to Inverness according to what his TOPS systems said. Not sure that he was 100% accurate as he wasn't aware of Sheffield Wednesday running Alcan tanks from FW!

The tip is don't always believe what TOPS sayswink.gif

The move was well documented on a few enthusiast sites at the time, I also work with a few of the guys involved in the recovery as well as being a small part of it at the start too!

The set is in Glasgow works being assessed.

Cheers

Craig

Archived