Dapol announce 'OO' OLE

Andy Y

Guest jim s-w

I see this topic has gone all quiet again, I wonder how long us modern image modellers are going to have to wait for the promised OHLE to go with our new class 85s...........?

Hi Andy

You dont have to wait for anything, you are choosing to wait for it. Your choice is simply wait for Dapol or make it yourself, theres no having to do anything.

Cheers

Jim

Yes you're quite right Jim I dont have to wait, but in the interests of time and ability they are the best option at the moment!! My retirement years are some way off to take my time in sratchbuilding them!

Cheers

Andy

Guest jim s-w

Indeed andy but (with the benefit of hindsight if course) how much do you think you could have scratch built in the two years you have been waiting? Sometimes it's better to just get on with it. ;)

Cheers

Jim

• 1 month later...

To be honest, the only thing I would like for my layout is a very simple portal like this:

http://www.railphoto.co.uk/arc1.jpg

Once this is released, I can look at the masts that Dapol have already released - I would rather start big (4 track grantries) and then fill in with the MK3 masts, Wires would be nice but tbh I'm not sure I would use them any more - but the 4 track masts are now a priority for me.

To be honest, the only thing I would like for my layout is a very simple portal like this:

Once this is released, I can look at the masts that Dapol have already released - I would rather start big (4 track grantries) and then fill in with the MK3 masts, Wires would be nice but tbh I'm not sure I would use them any more - but the 4 track masts are now a priority for me.

I would define a 'simple' portal as an 'H' section of which there are plenty of examples in existence from the various vintages of OHLE. (Noting that Warren Lane now features some of these.)

The photo depicts a lattice gantry which although the main stay of the original WCML electrification on multiple track sections is rather less 'simple'.

Incidentally if the photographer had been in that location today they would almost be standing on the re-instated fourth track (now the down fast).

Guest Moria

Any truth in the rumour Dapol have had to temporarily suspend production of 00 and N gauge OHLE owing to a sudden and unexpected large order for the same in 12"/1' scale?

LOL although the current announcement makes me wonder about rule 1 for OHLE in the Paignton area.. hmmmmmm that might require some thinking about :)

Regards

Graham

• RMweb Gold

The portal pictured in the link is Mark1 equipment and would not be seen interposed with the mark3 cantilevers that Dapol have produced. Instead you would need headspans.

http://fatbaldbloke....multitrack.html

Andi

Hi guys,

Wires and gantry kits should drop into the tool room in the next 2 weeks and be quite a quick turn around.

Cheers

Dave

Dave

Whats going on with the catenary? I couldnt see any mention of any in the latest catalogue.

Can you tell us what masts or gantries were actually going to the tool room at least and whether those plans are now on hold?

• RMweb Gold

Dave

Whats going on with the catenary? I couldnt see any mention of any in the latest catalogue.

Can you tell us what masts or gantries were actually going to the tool room at least and whether those plans are now on hold?

The postie dropped the Dapol catalogue through letterbox this morning ... have had a quick browse through the 124 pages of colour A4 .. very impressive! I'm also very interested in the progress of the catenary range and page 107 is dedicated to it, with the following products listed ...

NCAT1: N Gauge MK 3 high speed catenary masts pack of 10

NCAT3: N Gauge double sided mast pack of 5

NCAT4: N Gauge double armed mast pack of 5

NCAT5: N Gauge end mast with tension weight pack of 5

NSPAN5: N Gauge 2/3/4 span H section gantry

NSPARE3: N Gauge pantographs 1 x Brecknell-Willis & 1 x Stone Faiveley

OOCAT1: OO Gauge MK3 high speed catenary masts pack of 10

OOCAT3: OO Gauge double sided mast pack of 5

OOCAT4: OO Gauge double armed mast pack of 5

OOCAT5: OO Gauge end mast with tension weight pack of 5

OOSPAN5: OO Gauge 2/3/4 span H section gantry

OOWIRE1: OO Gauge catenary wires 135mm pack of 10

OOWIRE2: OO Gauge catenary wires 152mm pack of 10

OOWIRE3: OO Gauge catenary wires 174mm pack of 10

OOWIRE4: OO Gauge catenary wires 200mm pack of 10

Good to see that the range is being expanded a fair bit. Thanks Patriot for the catalogue info.

This may well feed in more interest in AC locos from those on the fence about buying the new Class 85s but are unsure whether to because of the OLE issue.

End masts, double arm masts, twin arm masts and the 2/3/4 track headspan gantries are welcome additions to the pioneering mk3 masts for 4mm.

Looking forward to seeing these.........the headspans could prove to be the real winners of that bunch.

Guest jim s-w

If you see the current poll it's quite a small percentage that are not buying because of the lack of OHLE

Cheers

Jim

• RMweb Gold

the headspans could prove to be the real winners of that bunch.

The items listed don't sound like headspans.

"OOSPAN5: OO Gauge 2/3/4 span H section gantry"

This suggests to me a portal built from H section girder. I may be wrong, can someone confirm?

This is a headspan http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=ohle+headspan&hl=en&biw=1280&bih=868&tbm=isch&tbnid=IdXu0xYQ2eoB_M:&imgrefurl=http://fatbaldbloke.bravehost.com/multitrack.html&docid=zhGurBbNyJq_6M&imgurl=http://fatbaldbloke.bravehost.com/myPictures/Headspan%252Bcurved.gif&w=1017&h=645&ei=p1MLUPWqDemf0QXz1Ny2Cg&zoom=1

Andi

Not on holiday just yet.

4 track is around, and in all honesty its not totally common, but Crewe has a bit or 4 track with 4, 4 with 3 and 4 with 2 headspans, especially near the south end of Basford Hall.

The kits will have enough for up to 5 x 4 track gantries, with headspans moulded on. you can then cut the headspans off to suit your track layout if, say you have a 3rd track lifted etc, but still want (as is prototypical) a 3 track gantry.

hope this helps.

cheers

Dave

Guest jim s-w

Hi Dave

I think your terminology is confusing people. A headspan is 2 big H girders with wires strung between them. The cantilevers are mounted on the headspans. Headspans are mk3, gantries ate mk1 or uk1.

It seems you are saying headspan when you mean cantilever.

Hth

Jim

Archived