Dapol announce 'OO' OLE

Andy Y

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

It's been a long time coming, but as they say "it must be Christmas" :jester:

This is now in the final stage of development, along with wires. Currently i'm having a batch of metal wires made for testing as this might just work with a fine look, and no cheesewire cutting (fingers crossed)

Cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-38589500-1355908943_thumb.jpg

Currently i'm having a batch of metal wires made for testing as this might just work with a fine look, and no cheesewire cutting (fingers crossed)

Cheers

Dave

Doesnt matter if you cross your fingers or not, if you get too close to the cheeswire they are coming off! :O

Hi Clive,

Sorry a tad confused here, you say "I find it strange that you have decided to make Mk1 portal not Mk3 portal to go with the Mk3 mast" and then show 2 plans, 1 of a MK1 portal (lattice type) and another of a MK3 portal, whereas ours shows a non lattice type. Am i reading that wrongly? Sorry if i am

cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

The arms (or their supports) shown on your drawings Dave look like the ones from the MK1, whilst the framework is the MK3. Now knowing nothing about these odd electricker things I don't have a clue as to whether this is correct or not but it could account for Clive's comment.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Clive,

Sorry a tad confused here, you say "I find it strange that you have decided to make Mk1 portal not Mk3 portal to go with the Mk3 mast" and then show 2 plans, 1 of a MK1 portal (lattice type) and another of a MK3 portal, whereas ours shows a non lattice type. Am i reading that wrongly? Sorry if i am

cheers

Dave

Hi Dave

It is not the type of portal, beam or lattice does not matter. It is the type registration support and the encumbrance. Mk1 has the design as in your development but with a deeper encumbrance (also known as system height) whereas Mk3 has the same design of registration support as for Mk3 headspan. With both marks beam type portal is quite rare and mainly seen in station areas and on bridges. With converted 1500v DC equipment, mainly the ex GER lines from Shenfield to Chlemsford and Southend the use of beam portals is very common.

post-16423-0-76486300-1355939417.png

Notice the type of support for the registration arms.

All the Mk1 beam type portal I have drawn are special locations such as this one on the approaches to Euston.

post-16423-0-00692800-1355939389_thumb.png

I think that the arrangements shown are in the Mk3 range. However, they are not typical of the type normally found. The registrations on these portals would more likely be used on 'Fixed Equipment' found on slow speed areas - like some terminal stations, yards etc. Fixed Equipment has wire that is Fixed at both ends, and the tension (and sag) varies according to temperature due to there being no weights at the ends to keep tension constant. Useful for wiring complex areas where differing along track movement at crossovers due to temperature change can be a problem. However, It is not representative of the usual headspan or portal arrangements found on Main line.

Indeed I have just tried a google image search to see if I can find an example like the Dapol version (I know they do exist!), and not found anything - all the Mk3 portal structures similar to the Dapol version I could find had the more common lower span wire to restrain the assembly rather than the strut.

This type of mast did exist at the end of Gourock platforms up until the station's re-build in 2010, and can be seen dotted around the Gourock/Weymss Bay lines. Most other multi-track masts in the area are of the lattice type, until you start heading down the Ayrshire coast where it gets a bit more modern.

Gourock in 2006 - http://www.flickr.co...e65/6335631034/

Looking forward to seeing them in production, and hopefully many more types to come!

Edit - Seems these are also present around Anglia, Clacton on Sea being one location - 321358, Clacton-on-Sea

• RMweb Premium

I think that the arrangements shown are in the Mk3 range. However, they are not typical of the type normally found. The registrations on these portals would more likely be used on 'Fixed Equipment' found on slow speed areas - like some terminal stations, yards etc. Fixed Equipment has wire that is Fixed at both ends, and the tension (and sag) varies according to temperature due to there being no weights at the ends to keep tension constant. Useful for wiring complex areas where differing along track movement at crossovers due to temperature change can be a problem. However, It is not representative of the usual headspan or portal arrangements found on Main line.

Indeed I have just tried a google image search to see if I can find an example like the Dapol version (I know they do exist!), and not found anything - all the Mk3 portal structures similar to the Dapol version I could find had the more common lower span wire to restrain the assembly rather than the strut.

Hi Ian

I have just gone through the Overhead Line Equipment Master Index, 10000 drawings and only found similar registrations like the ones in question on a couple of drawings and they relate to the rebuilding and new track layout at Liverpool Street in the 1990's. I don't think there are any Mk3 designs like these. They are a Mk1 design, which is great for those making a layout with Mk1 equipment, but it would be good if to start with if only one type of equipment was made. Mk3 is still the type over the greatest amount of trackage in the UK therefore the most useful.

I know Mk3 would not suit everyone, I would like some round post Mk1 as found between Chelmsford and Colchester. Like this one at the bottom of my mother-in-law's back garden. post-16423-0-34306900-1355957161_thumb.png

post-16423-0-16638400-1355957734_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Almond road? Did not have time to look through OLEMI thoroughly, just looked through a few registration assemblies from the 199 series and did not see anything. Either way its certainly not a common arrangement!

Hi Ian

That is Almond road bridge. Mother in Law's garden is the other side of the tracks in Chelmer Road.

Took me most of tonight to skim through it and only found a few 1/994/650 to 659, all are dated 1999.

Guest jim s-w

Im sorry but i have to smile at this. People have been clammering for years for these gantries and Dave has decided to do the most simplistic design possible. For the sake of a few bits of brass and some practise (along with the help of people on here) anyone could have made these years ago as well as possibly learning a few new skills.

Sometimes it really is better to just have a go.

Cheers

Jim

• RMweb Premium

I've clearly missed something, but it didn't state in Daves post that they are the MK3 type, and don't look like any of the MK3 type mast I've installed?

The topic title states Mk3.

As I have already said in makes sense to produce Mk3 multiple track mast, portal being one type instead of going off and producing another mark. Unlike rolling stock OLE does not get mixed up except where an old system meets a newer one, and that is normally a couple of mast at the overlap. As it is at the devleopment stage is not a good idea to help Dave?

Clive

But unfortunately Dave has not gone for the most simplistic, which is the headspan. This is both simple from the manufacturing point of view - two H section masts with three holes in them, some wire, and a moulding for the LDV, and simple for the modeller as they easily allow any combination of tracks, widths, positions etc just by sliding the required number of LDV's along the wires, gluing and cutting off the excess wire.

HObbex already do it this way, its cheap and works well. The only issue is that the LDV's are continental style, as it is not for the British market, but they do coincidentally include in the box alternative detailing parts on a sprue that can be modified to a reasonble representation of MK3 if you wish. I have recently installed these on my layout due to no better alternative being available at the right price.

Guest jim s-w

Headspans need tension to avoid sagging over time, the example dave has show is definately easier to make from scratch.

Cheers

Jim

Guest jim s-w

Headspans still have more parts = more complicated. My contact wire is brass coated steel and does sag over time when not tensioned. Its also affected by temperature. Its the nature of metals

Cheers

Jim

The topic title states Mk3.

As I have already said in makes sense to produce Mk3 multiple track mast, portal being one type instead of going off and producing another mark. Unlike rolling stock OLE does not get mixed up except where an old system meets a newer one, and that is normally a couple of mast at the overlap. As it is at the devleopment stage is not a good idea to help Dave?

Clive

Topic title does state MK3, yes, but remember that was for the single track masts that were released nearly two years ago now. I still can't see anything that says the multiple track masts depicted in the CAD drawing are of the MK3 design. Even going back a few pages to extracts from the Dapol catalogue, doesn't say it's MK1 or MK3.

I do agree, a MK3 would be the most logical multi-track mast to produce following on from the original releases, but the CAD drawing to me looks like the MK1 mast.

• RMweb Gold

Topic title does state MK3, yes, but remember that was for the single track masts that were released nearly two years ago now. I still can't see anything that says the multiple track masts depicted in the CAD drawing are of the MK3 design. Even going back a few pages to extracts from the Dapol catalogue, doesn't say it's MK1 or MK3.

I do agree, a MK3 would be the most logical multi-track mast to produce following on from the original releases, but the CAD drawing to me looks like the MK1 mast.

Which is exactly what Clive is saying, that the original cantilever is a Mark3 piece of equipment, and this new portal is mark1, the two would not appear in the same formations, Dapol would be better to make a mark3 headspan that went with their existing cantilever.

It is the same as if they had made a mark3 coach to go with the class22 loco, they just don't sit together.

Andi

Archived