• RMweb Gold

In addition to the layout extension, thoughts are turning to increasing the Peak fleet from the single 45/0 in the middle.

I would like a 44 (Great Gable - preserved), a 45/1 and 46 too, so found a cheap 46 on Ebay to convert to 97403 Ixion. The release of the Heljan 45 has prompted this, but I can't unsee the errors around the cabs, so a little modelling will be required instead. 

Peaks and 40.JPG

Edited by 97406
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, tinsley-toton said:

I don't mind admitting that I think the Heljan Peak on the left looks sound, the roof profile of the Bachmann model now looks a bit flat if anything.

IMG-20221013-WA0002.jpg

It’s the cab windscreens that look so wrong on the Heljan. Sad eyed Peak. The flat cab doors are a lesser issue. I wanted 45106, but the windscreens are outlined in silver making them stand out more. 

British Railways Class 45/1 45131 & Class 50 50037 'Illustrious; - Birmingham New Street

Edited by 97406
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

An excellent thread, I've worked my way through all 16 pages.

I've only relatively recently looked into modelling an OHLE module, which could convincingly accommodate late 1970s through to the early 90s, with an intention of giving my modest electric collection space to be used with OHLE.

It is indeed surprising what can be done in a small space, and your mainline photo op spot is a great touch.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, GraemeWatson said:

An excellent thread, I've worked my way through all 16 pages.

I've only relatively recently looked into modelling an OHLE module, which could convincingly accommodate late 1970s through to the early 90s, with an intention of giving my modest electric collection space to be used with OHLE.

It is indeed surprising what can be done in a small space, and your mainline photo op spot is a great touch.

Many thanks, it’s been great fun to do and work continues apace on the second installment. I’ll update the other thread soon as I’m nearing the completion of the baseboards, and I’m waiting for new prints of the backscenes from the original image used on this version of the layout.

OLHE has always interested me, growing up near the Altrincham-Manchester line with the bouncy castle 304s. The AC electrics at Piccadilly Station were also fascinating to me as well, so I had to model it.

I’ll have a peruse of your layout thread, but is definitely has a ‘Brutalist’ feel, which is nice. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 47606odin said:

Look forward to the Dysons rolling up for an exam

It’s on the new thread. Fitted a boggo decoder in this morning and it runs well! I have the proper one on order so the pans will raise and lower and the lights all work as they should.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 47606odin said:

Look forward to the Dysons rolling up for an exam

15 minutes ago, 97406 said:

It’s on the new thread. Fitted a boggo decoder in this morning and it runs well! I have the proper one on order so the pans will raise and lower and the lights all work as they should.

Thought you were on about a Class 50. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 14/10/2022 at 02:06, 97406 said:

In addition to the layout extension, thoughts are turning to increasing the Peak fleet from the single 45/0 in the middle.

I would like a 44 (Great Gable - preserved), a 45/1 and 46 too, so found a cheap 46 on Ebay to convert to 97403 Ixion. The release of the Heljan 45 has prompted this, but I can't unsee the errors around the cabs, so a little modelling will be required instead. 

Peaks and 40.JPG

I’ve got the old Bachmann Ixion in research livery. Got to work out why it has stopped running, then it’s up for disposal

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 47606odin said:

well, after I rummage around the pick ups, I’ll message you

73553A0A-1057-4E63-ACCB-E5E1EA52EACC.jpeg.15404902881ce217f4710063dc641984.jpeg

7F672A65-5FF0-4AF7-BA74-C6C13430C1E8.jpeg.9f602ce865cf3f28bdfd2d7841866f16.jpeg

Nice one, it will get around the need to do the white lining which from past experience with a multiple unit  is a right pain in the backside!

• Like 1