• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, PjKing1 said:

If you do go down the dcc route I can’t recommend the ECoS enough, it’s the best bit of kit I’ve ever bought.

That looks good and it will be ideal for when the layout goes all around the room as there will be 2 (or more) running lines either in front of the existing depot, or behind it on top of the existing cutting and retaining walls. Or both! 

However at this stage it will be very much a ‘one engine in …err… “steam” ’ layout, even with the initial extension, so the likes of the Gaugemaster Prodigy looks to fit the bill at the moment.

1 hour ago, 97406 said:

That looks good and it will be ideal for when the layout goes all around the room as there will be 2 (or more) running lines either in front of the existing depot, or behind it on top of the existing cutting and retaining walls. Or both! 

However at this stage it will be very much a ‘one engine in …err… “steam” ’ layout, even with the initial extension, so the likes of the Gaugemaster Prodigy looks to fit the bill at the moment.

however, point control and selecting locos on the ECoS is so much easier, as you can add the loco number as it’s name, not trying to remember which 8601 or 8602 etc is the number of the loco in front of you, when you can select 86101. Track plan added in a map with points controlled from the diagram on the touch screen. No need to remember auxiliary numbers for points and signals and lights. It’s all done on a map. Buy once buy the best as it were. 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 97406 said:

I started off with a Prodigy but it’s not the easiest to use, the ECoS is so easy to use to change cv’s and points etc and it’s basically two controllers in one, which might sound like an overkill but it’s worth every penny, also by the time you buy an Prodigy then realise you want something a bit better it’s kind of been dead money. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, PjKing1 said:

I started off with a Prodigy but it’s not the easiest to use, the ECoS is so easy to use to change cv’s and points etc and it’s basically two controllers in one, which might sound like an overkill but it’s worth every penny, also by the time you buy an Prodigy then realise you want something a bit better it’s kind of been dead money. 

23 hours ago, 47606odin said:

however, point control and selecting locos on the ECoS is so much easier, as you can add the loco number as it’s name, not trying to remember which 8601 or 8602 etc is the number of the loco in front of you, when you can select 86101. Track plan added in a map with points controlled from the diagram on the touch screen. No need to remember auxiliary numbers for points and signals and lights. It’s all done on a map. Buy once buy the best as it were. 

There’s the new one which looks to be Android based https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/6009456047?iid=294431661490. Out of the rest, the NCE Power Cab looks good. There’s no rush, but one system or another is likely to go in before I think of a layout extension. Plus I do quite fancy dabbling in sound.

Edited by 97406

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, DavidMcKenzie said:

Cracking layout, OHLE and nicely weathered locos 🤩. I'm only up to page 3 so far, but very much enjoying all the photos. Thanks for posting them. 

All the best,

Dave

Thank you. It’s firmly set in what was quite a nostalgic period for me centering in the late 80s, but with the timeline blurred slightly, so still plenty of interesting ‘dinosaur’ diesel classes alongside fancy liveries.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, 47606odin said:

I’m still debating whether to covert to EM so I have better looking track. My Heljan 47’s will be easy to do, as there a replacement wheelsets which just pop in. I think I’ll have a go at my point kit this weekend and see how it goes

I thought about that at the start, but It's a lot of extra effort, and code 75 rail and the underscale sleeper spacing helps alleviate it to these eyes. Not that I'm decrying EM, P4 or S4 one bit. It's great to see what people on here have done with it, and the pointwork is a work of art in itself!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 97406 said:

I thought about that at the start, but It's a lot of extra effort, and code 75 rail and the underscale sleeper spacing helps alleviate it to these eyes. Not that I'm decrying EM, P4 or S4 one bit. It's great to see what people on here have done with it, and the pointwork is a work of art in itself!

I have a C&L finescale kit, some of the components are tiny

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, 47606odin said:

I have a C&L finescale kit, some of the components are tiny

Solder paste and flux are your two best friends! ETA, or perhaps not - there looks to be a lot of plastic components on some of the kits

Edited by 97406

17 hours ago, 97406 said:

Solder paste and flux are your two best friends! ETA, or perhaps not - there looks to be a lot of plastic components on some of the kits

if I touch this kit with a soldering iron, it’ll be a sticky messy blob lol

• RMweb Gold
On 25/04/2022 at 10:17, 47606odin said:

I’m still debating whether to covert to EM so I have better looking track. My Heljan 47’s will be easy to do, as there a replacement wheelsets which just pop in. I think I’ll have a go at my point kit this weekend and see how it goes

Having dabbled in EM I found the re-wheeling a pain in the ass I’ll be honest, I’m glad I tried it but it’s not something I’d consider again.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, PjKing1 said:

Having dabbled in EM I found the re-wheeling a pain in the ass I’ll be honest, I’m glad I tried it but it’s not something I’d consider again.

I'm not fussed as I've managed to deceive my own eye when it comes to the track, based on squinting at photos of the real thing and the layout. If I had space for prototypically-radiused points and curves, then that may influence a decision to migrate to EM, P4 or S4, but that won't happen within the confines of the spare bedroom.

In other news, after watching many YouTube videos, I have the NCE Powercab on order, with 40143 (a later Bachmann retooled example) earmarked for the first dip into sound. An 86 will follow after that, the idea being to eventually roll out sound to at least one example of each class. The entire fleet will have DCC decoders rolled out across in the next year or so, with the first proper layout extension following on from that, to connect with the headshunt I changed recently. That's the current plan, anyway.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Operating with DCC opens up lots of different things. Some like it, others don't. I do.

It is particularly good for depots because it allows you to stop locos exactly where you want without having to design any sections into the layout when you build it. Consisting (double heading) is better & the ability to control lights while locos are parked is also an advantage.

I am sure you will find that most of your locos will be DCC fitted before you realise. I have opened up several locos after years of disuse to fit decoders only to find that I had already done them & forgotten all about it.

Sound becomes addictive too. I love leaving locos parked with their spirax valves clicking away!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Operating with DCC opens up lots of different things. Some like it, others don't. I do.

It is particularly good for depots because it allows you to stop locos exactly where you want without having to design any sections into the layout when you build it. Consisting (double heading) is better & the ability to control lights while locos are parked is also an advantage.

I am sure you will find that most of your locos will be DCC fitted before you realise. I have opened up several locos after years of disuse to fit decoders only to find that I had already done them & forgotten all about it.

Sound becomes addictive too. I love leaving locos parked with their spirax valves clicking away!

Yes, it’s the sound, and the ability to have the lights on without the locos moving. I’ll have to do away with my HF track cleaner, but I have a wagon instead for the track and a loco wheel cleaner. I can’t wait to fit sound to one of the Bachmann 40s and have it whistling away in between thrashes. My 97406 is very Lima-based with one of those replacements for the original pancake motor and it is much faster than other locos, so hopefully can do something about that too.

The controller is on back order at Hattons, but should be with me in the next month or so. No hurry as it’s a long term project before I then add a other section to the layout in a year or two. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 97406 said:

Yes, it’s the sound, and the ability to have the lights on without the locos moving. I’ll have to do away with my HF track cleaner, but I have a wagon instead for the track and a loco wheel cleaner. I can’t wait to fit sound to one of the Bachmann 40s and have it whistling away in between thrashes. My 97406 is very Lima-based with one of those replacements for the original pancake motor and it is much faster than other locos, so hopefully can do something about that too.

The controller is on back order at Hattons, but should be with me in the next month or so. No hurry as it’s a long term project before I then add a other section to the layout in a year or two. 

Yes, you certainly can.

Another advantage of DCC which gets less attention that the features it provides is its motor control. Because the decoder is controlling the motor, it can be tailored to it. Older locos may run better with higher feedback while newer ones or coreless motors prefer a smoother voltage. That's fine because some decoders allow you to adjust this & it only affects the motor/loco they control.

Although track cleaning is still necessary, I find I need to do it less often than with DC. 

On the occasions I've gone back to operating DC, I find it a bit disappointing how often I need to give trains a nudge & how poor the slow speed control is. I never noticed the difference when going from DC to DCC; just the other way.

The slow speed bit makes sense because the track to wheel connection is the weak bit & with DC, you are demanding a low voltage to push current across it.

I didn't get DCC for sound & didn't even feel it was something I wanted, but after trying a sound-fitted loco, I found that I ran it (with sound on, of course) more than my others & now it is usually a sound loco which I choose to run. DCC sound has improved a lot in the past few years, both the sound quality & the projects themselves. I particularly like letting a loco coast then having separate control of braking.

BTW, I like what you have done with your layout. Must re-build mine in more modern form but I've got plenty to do first!

• Thanks 1

Well, this arrived…

4E19F5A4-30A4-42C5-B700-F14A4308F333.jpeg.ce1e11ad8775352112540d6c057f9ad4.jpeg

however, it’s pan was out of shape where the pan head mounts, and trying to straighten it, meant it broke. It appears the locating pin had been broken and it was glued. However, a quick phone call to Bachmann spares and a replacement pan is on its way (removed from a returned model) so I’ll swap it over. Hopefully it’s easy enough. Also the coupler spring is dislodged and it flops one way, so will have to try and see how the coupler comes out so I can refit the spring properly again. Another 2nd hand item from Hattons that isn’t 100% accurately described. However it all works so I’ll sort this one out. And it looks like the RES sound ones will be available very very soon!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, 47606odin said:

Well, this arrived…

4E19F5A4-30A4-42C5-B700-F14A4308F333.jpeg.ce1e11ad8775352112540d6c057f9ad4.jpeg

however, it’s pan was out of shape where the pan head mounts, and trying to straighten it, meant it broke. It appears the locating pin had been broken and it was glued. However, a quick phone call to Bachmann spares and a replacement pan is on its way (removed from a returned model) so I’ll swap it over. Hopefully it’s easy enough. Also the coupler spring is dislodged and it flops one way, so will have to try and see how the coupler comes out so I can refit the spring properly again. Another 2nd hand item from Hattons that isn’t 100% accurately described. However it all works so I’ll sort this one out. And it looks like the RES sound ones will be available very very soon!

90005 (or one in the original IC Swallow livery) is the one I want. I have got a Hornby 90 and the PH Designs etched kit, which I really ought to have a go at, time permitting. Currently in IC Mainline, but I’ll spray the white bits if need be. I have something else on its way at the moment. Watch this space…

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, 97406 said:

90005 (or one in the original IC Swallow livery) is the one I want. I have got a Hornby 90 and the PH Designs etched kit, which I really ought to have a go at, time permitting. Currently in IC Mainline, but I’ll spray the white bits if need be. I have something else on its way at the moment. Watch this space…

well, I thought I’d mention they do have pantographs, however, they are off returned models rather than new spares

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, 47606odin said:

well, I thought I’d mention they do have pantographs, however, they are off returned models rather than new spares

I may just give them a shout. The Hornby 90 has their grotesque version of the BW pan. I also have the Heljan ones on order. One thing I am struggling with at the moment is free time. I’ve had it good (for modelling) since the pandemic.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 22/04/2022 at 13:04, 97406 said:

In other news, to fit DCC will involve chipping 59 items of stock! Yikes!

I had 145 to do and wanted sound in them also. So far I have done 109, 80 with sound. For about 24 of those so far I have fitted full independent lights, including cab lights, markers and headlights (although not many have them fitted in my era).

Big job but worthwhile.

As for you layout and work - it all looks excellent.

For the cylinder on the roof of the locos, I don't know if anybody said what it is, but I would guess it to be the Cab-Shore Radio (CSR) antenna. On stock that was not built with CSR it was often an addition on the roof like that - certainly it was like that on the Class 205 DEMUs that I worked on.

Roy

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Class 91 ticked off the list. For some strange reason the vertical outer edges of the windscreen recess were white, so I masked them off and painted them black. My heart sank when I first saw the pan which is based on the rubbish class 87 pan, but the middle section seems to be made of a tougher plastic and it is poseable. There is also a thin bit of wire to make it behave a little more like a pantograph.

A lovely model it is and I think it will get denamed and renumbered to 91001.

DSCF0478.JPG

• Like 4