• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A little project has been to change the pan on the 86/0 to a Sommerfeldt one with the PH Designs base. I just folded the basic etch, there are also a few extra bits that can be attached to it, but my soldering isn't quite up to the task yet.

DSCF0539.JPG.399129f0ab481c2f54055223f0e4eff8.JPG

DSCF0542.JPG

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

A nice surprise was the Bachmann 37, and some financial shuffling has helped to acquire the 37/4 which was on the wishlist. Seen here waiting for its Accurascale buddies to join it in a few months time. The age of Class 37 models that actually look like Class 37s out of the box has arrived!

DSCF0543.JPG

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, PjKing1 said:

That looks very nice indeed, I’m just glad they have the correct ride height at last 😀 

I'm dead pleased with it, but I think the Accurascale one will surpass it. The Bachmann's front marker lights are quite amber in colour, and the noses are separate mouldings, which will have the join softened with some yellow acrylic at some point. Other than those minor points, the Bachmann's a good 'un and I wanted a Welsh 37/4, though a Scottish LL one would have done as the layout is situated somewhere near Crewe works, so a lot of (often clean) exotic traction can be seen.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 97406 said:

I'm dead pleased with it, but I think the Accurascale one will surpass it. The Bachmann's front marker lights are quite amber in colour, and the noses are separate mouldings, which will have the join softened with some yellow acrylic at some point. Other than those minor points, the Bachmann's a good 'un and I wanted a Welsh 37/4, though a Scottish LL one would have done as the layout is situated somewhere near Crewe works, so a lot of (often clean) exotic traction can be seen.

I’m looking forward to both mate, quite exciting times with the new Peak on its way to 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PjKing1 said:

I’m looking forward to both mate, quite exciting times with the new Peak on its way to 

There's a couple of tasty 47s out for my time period, but I need to rest the wallet for a month or two, first. I also have a 92 on order, which is being manufactured now so that will take precedence.

Edited by 97406

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, 97406 said:

There's a couple of tasty 47s out for my time period, but I need to rest the wallet for a month or two, first. I also have a 92 on order, which is being manufactured now so that will take precedence.

I’m looking forward to next weeks announcements from Bachmann although I don’t think my flexible friend is 😂 the worrying time will be when a new 40 appears 

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, PjKing1 said:

I’m looking forward to next weeks announcements from Bachmann although I don’t think my flexible friend is 😂 the worrying time will be when a new 40 appears 

Yes, I only have 7 40s which leaves 193 left to get!

• Funny 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The plan is afoot to extend the layout but before I turn my attention to adding a new section, I finally got round to completely rewiring the existing layout for DCC. Gone are the switchable sections and vomit-inducing randomly-coloured wiring in favour of something easier to maintain and add to. The little control panel can now be unplugged and the layout has been relocated to the opposite wall of the spare room, so the other wall can be redecorated, wall cupboards fitted and Dexion fastened to the wall. I have just under 5 metres to play with, though the extension will be the same depth of 14" as the existing layout to start with.

I may have to start a new thread in the 'Layout Topics' section when the construction starts, as Nifkin's Bridge will no longer be a small layout and it will gradually get sections added over the coming years.

DSCF0548.JPG

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Love the photos, locos look great in the evening sun.

Thanks, Kevin. It'll be moving back to the nice new shelf on the opposite wall soon, as there's not enough room on the sunny side, alas!

As part of the work, I'm looking at getting as realistic as possible with the lighting and I'll start the new thread when the new boards for the extension are complete.

Tim

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The layout extension is progressing, with a shelf installed and the framework in place. The original module can be lifted in and out of the existing furniture-based underpinnings. Once I have completed the baseboards for the extension, a new thread will be started in the main Layout Topics area of this forum.

Extension 2.JPG

Extension 3.JPG

Extension1.JPG

• Like 12