The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Big Jim’s attempt to become Slim Jim

big jim

46 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

This!   I'm so pleased you referred to it, iD.

One of the greatest issues hidden in so-called 'healthy eating', I have seen this 'fat is bad' tale having being totally disproven repeated in several books, referenced to good research, and demonic fat simply is a lie we have been brought up (in my generation) to accept.  Its wrong.... the best research was IIRC a large cohort of Australian nurses monitored for cardiac health over many years, half on a low fat diet and half on eating fats, and there was no difference whatsoever in their cardiac health. Nothing. Fat being bad is Pseudo science.

I remember seeing a TV programme about it a few years ago. It featured twins, both doctors but 1 lived in the UK & the other in the US.

The UK frowns on fats & they described the US attitude towards carbs being very negative, describing their view on them almost as being almost evil.

The US doctor went on a low carb diet & the UK one on a low fat diet. Both were in pretty good shape to start with.

They observed the changes in physical fitness & mental ability. Both had their good & bad points. The conclusion was:

Cutting either source created issues such as slight drop it fitness or making it harder to make decisions. A balanced diet was considered the best option.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

This!   I'm so pleased you referred to it, iD.

One of the greatest issues hidden in so-called 'healthy eating', I have seen this 'fat is bad' tale having being totally disproven repeated in several books, referenced to good research, and demonic fat simply is a lie we have been brought up (in my generation) to accept.  Its wrong.... the best research was IIRC a large cohort of Australian nurses monitored for cardiac health over many years, half on a low fat diet and half on eating fats, and there was no difference whatsoever in their cardiac health. Nothing. Fat being bad is Pseudo science.

I notice this a lot when I visit my in-laws in Poland - Polish cuisine involves a lot more fats than ours does, yet they have far less obesity (according to Wikipedia, the UK is 36th on the list, they're 69th)

• Agree 1

I only just pick up on this thread. I did couch to 5K three years ago, I did it during my lunchtimes at work and it felt tough but really glad I did it, If you can find a local club that does it then you may find it easier. Anyway I continued to run after I finished the course and in nine months lost three stone! 

I have never liked sport but continued to run, I do Parkrun which is great and will help you even if you want to walk it, I felt really nervous on my first one but its not a race and however you want to do it run or walk it you will never be last.

I have continued to run and last year did 2500 miles which is insane but with some music or a podcast to listen to it get me round and I have never regretted a run.  I injured myself a couple of months ago so was unable to run so I got on my bike instead, although useful I found my heart rate never got so high as when I ran and did not have the same effect.

Anyway what ever you choose to do keep it regular it is so hard to push yourself to get out of the door but try and overcome that inner voice saying no, and just do it. 

If you can do around 30 mins of excise a day brisk walking is good too you will find you will get fitter both physically and mentally.

David 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Well done mate 

About twenty years ago I lost a lot of weight by living on a diet of grilled fishcake and tomato sauce sandwiches it made me full but didn't pile calories on.

Not  sure how it would fit in with a diabetic diet 

12 minutes ago, David Bigcheeseplant said:

I have never liked sport but continued to run, I do Parkrun which is great and will help you even if you want to walk it, I felt really nervous on my first one but its not a race and however you want to do it run or walk it you will never be last.

Not a race lol - not for the likes of us maybe, but to the people at the front of the run it very much is - a lot of competitive runners to be found up there including my wife who broke her nose being competitive.

But it is the sheer variety of runners that makes Park Run plus the volunteers who help out, there wouldn't be a Park Run without the dedicated teams of volunteers out in all types of weather.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Not a race lol - not for the likes of us maybe, but to the people at the front of the run it very much is - a lot of competitive runners to be found up there including my wife who broke her nose being competitive.

But it is the sheer variety of runners that makes Park Run plus the volunteers who help out, there wouldn't be a Park Run without the dedicated teams of volunteers out in all types of weather.

You can be as fast or as slow in Parkrun as you like, Yes I would like to be as fast as those up front but then there are people who would like to be as fast as me or any runner in front of where you are, It does not matter where you are in the field as you are out there doing it and that's more than most people are doing!

Edited by David Bigcheeseplant
  • Like 1

Don't look too often hereabouts these days and contribute even less unless it is something that really grabs my attention and this topic certainly has.  Well done to (not so big)  Big Jim and everybody else on here doing the same, on your weight loss, I applaud you.  I know how you feel as I was tipping in around the 20 stone mark some 6 years ago and decided to do something about my general well being for a whole number of reasons including health and weight.  It's a long story which I won't go into here but am more than happy to share if anybody is interested.  I am now tipping the scales some 6 stone lighter, I go to Slimming World (other diet groups are available), eat some amazing food and cycling for me is third only to my wife and in second place anything railway related.  A change of diet (it is a change of diet for me and not being on a diet) does get easier and I seem to eat huge amounts of food, although of course it is the right sort of food.  Yes I still enjoy a beer and pizza once in a while.  

Before I started everything was such hard work, now I am so much fitter both physically and mentally.

For the record I am 58 years old, just over 6ft tall, far more active than I have ever been and am not going back to where I was!

WELL DONE again, on the conversion from broad gauge to standard gauge, Hastings loading gauge or narrow gauge version on the way?  Keep up the great work and if I can give any advise or tips then please give me a shout!  Just think where you will be after another 3 months of this!

BTW for me keeping the weight off is easier than loosing it.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, big jim said:

I was looking at blood glucose meters but want sure what to get, I want one that will sync with my phone as the health app can keep tabs of it and upload the data to the various fitness and diet apps I am using 

We were told by our GP not to bother with blood sugar meters. They said it was relevant for type 1 but not for type 2. Of course, that might be different for other people but might be worth consulting with your medical adviser first.

Edited by highpeakman
missing text

3 hours ago, David Bigcheeseplant said:

........  I did couch to 5K three years ago .........

Another thumbs up for Couch to 5K.

I did the same about 3 years ago too. I liked Sanjeev as my motivational voice. I couldn't get motivated with Sarah Millican. Whilst she is very funny, my mental image of her doing the course just didn't square with me. And Michael Johnson was just too much of a challenge.

5 hours ago, woodenhead said:

I never set myself big goals when exercising, I set lots of smaller ones that increment - so when I am knackered I'll go a little further, the reset the target again and go a little further - lots of small challenges add up to the bigger challenge but it doesn't seem so challenging because you focused on small achievable goals to get there.

Agree with this wholeheartedly.  Whatever the 'problem' is, split it down into lots of smaller problems and tackle it then. This what C25K does.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Today I thought I’d take it easy as my bum was still a bit numb, did just short of 9 miles on the bike and I’m going to have a couple of mile walk in a bit too as it’s glorious up here at the moment 

6EC5C227-4625-41BA-9E5B-C10F6A90D74C.jpeg.6137e56752a6c2f8dfa30789c2d89832.jpeg

heading home tomorrow so the cycle rides won’t have as much spectacular scenery but I’m lucky in so much as the national cycle path runs at the end of our street toward Nantwich where I was thinking of taking the towpath toward audlem 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, highpeakman said:

We were told by our GP not to bother with blood sugar meters. They said it was relevant for type 1 but not for type 2. Of course, that might be different for other people but might be worth consulting with your medical adviser first.

That is the corporate NHS line, to save money.  I know, I was an NHS manager.  It is complete ballcocks, you need to know your BG to know you're eating right.  'Eat to your meter' is the mantra.

Go to diabetes.co.uk and read up, it's eye opening.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

That is the corporate NHS line, to save money.  I know, I was an NHS manager.  It is complete ballcocks, you need to know your BG to know you're eating right.  'Eat to your meter' is the mantra.

Go to diabetes.co.uk and read up, it's eye opening.

I always thought hba1c as a better indicator as it gives an average over time. BG readings may not be that useful if you are not on insulin as if it’s high you can’t bring it down and if you are following your dietary advice it shouldn’t be high. I stress though I am talking about non insulin controlled.

The issue can be some people do get obsessive about their BG reading. 
Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Markwj said:

I always thought hba1c as a better indicator as it gives an average over time. BG readings may not be that useful if you are not on insulin as if it’s high you can’t bring it down and if you are following your dietary advice it shouldn’t be high. I stress though I am talking about non insulin controlled.

The issue can be some people do get obsessive about their BG reading. 
Mark

That is pretty much what we were told as my wife does not need insulin. Her hba1c is pretty borderline so not so much of a problem.

• RMweb Gold

Wednesday is weigh in day for me, today I am 19.12 Stone so I’m now under 20 Stone! 

4lb lost last week so the extra exercise certainly made a huge difference

just been out for a quick spin on the bike, Nantwich and back with a couple of laps around the park at each end, 7 1/4 mile total 

560A31A1-0F81-4ACF-AEF9-FEC4572E3709.jpeg.105e71460c8ac8aaf586118d11144e92.jpeg

tomororw should be fun, day 2 of couch to 5k and I’m in work so will have to pack my trainers and do it up and down the yard in Donnington! 

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 31/05/2021 at 12:47, Pete the Elaner said:

Once you get to 5k, I recommend doing a Parkrun. It doesn't cost anything; you just need to create an account & keep a copy of your barcode so they can record you. If you can keep running for 5k, you will be nowhere near last.

On 01/06/2021 at 09:48, woodenhead said:

Parkruns are great (not due back till 26 June, but may be delayed again).  It's a massive mix of people from the uber fit to those of us who jog around for health and not for a time.  There are lots of them all over the country.

My two grandsons do quite a few Junior Parkruns (the 2k version for kids), and usually manage to finish quite well up in their local event. They've both occasionally run in the 5k as well with their Dad. One week the eldest ran in alongside the late great Ron Hill, former European and Commonwealth gold medalist for the marathon, mind you there was an age difference of about 70 years. 

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
typo
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

7 minutes ago, big jim said:

Wednesday is weigh in day for me, today I am 19.12 Stone so I’m now under 20 Stone! 

4lb lost last week so the extra exercise certainly made a huge difference

just been out for a quick spin on the bike, Nantwich and back with a couple of laps around the park at each end, 7 1/4 mile total 

560A31A1-0F81-4ACF-AEF9-FEC4572E3709.jpeg.105e71460c8ac8aaf586118d11144e92.jpeg

tomororw should be fun, day 2 of couch to 5k and I’m in work so will have to pack my trainers and do it up and down the yard in Donnington! 

Wow Jim, you have really given that some "Stick".  11.8 Av speed and 138 Av BPM is very impressive indeed.  

Doesn't a steady 4 lbs off feel really good!!  Nice and slowly will last longer than rushing the calories and enable you to keep up the activity levels.  It's just so good to get on the bike / get the running shoes on and simply decide where you want to visit, and off you go...   more benefit from simply going somewhere you like to go.

The Covid-19 has had a part to play, in that there has been a choice between going the 3 miles into town, to shop and back on a bus with unknown carriers, or fresh air and the bike...   no contest.  Have you noticed, yet, how many other people going the opposite way, have a big grin and a wave as they pass?

• RMweb Gold

An interesting thread Jim. Very impressed with you initial weight loss and now you've started just keep at it. You will reach a plateau eventually and the thing is not to let up at the point when you feel comfortable with you weight but to keep doing enough to maintain it. 

I'm pretty light, actually slightly slimmer than I was at 21. My BMI now is 23. I've always had to watch my weight as I find used to find it quite easy to balloon up as a youngster. That wasn't helped when I moved into the drawing office, typical railway lunches for those days and lodging with a lady who used to write recipes for the Jimmy Young Cookbook. She was on her fourth husband at the time, we did speculate if the other three had succumbed to the size of her meals.

I was never a runner, usually in the last three in the school cross country runs but have good stamina. I have been hill walking and cycling for 60 years and these have kept me fit. Lockdown saw my out at one or the other every day and I think I have actually improved my performance compared with the previous couple of years.

As we've got older we dropped the backpacking and cycle touring but took up off road cycling.  I would recommend getting on a few of the old railway trails like  Hadfield to Woodhead, Marple to Macclesfield, the High Peak and Tissington trails or various sections of the Cheshire Lines  which can all be done on a bike like yours. Yesterday we did a 26 mile loop taking in the Monsal Trail from Millers Dale to Bakewell and the High Peak Trail from Friden to Hindlow. There are also some very good stretches of canal towpath suitable for riding. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 31/05/2021 at 09:08, big jim said:

I’ve heard a lot about the couch to 5k in the radio etc over lockdown but didn’t realise it was an app, I’ll have a look at that in a bit and get it downloaded 

100% recommend c25k. I used the Zen one. Excellent. I had never ran before but I followed the ap religiously and I did indeed complete the 5k in under 25mins. Also did a few parkruns after that. 

Can't recommend it highly enough.

Ian

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

Wow Jim, you have really given that some "Stick".  11.8 Av speed and 138 Av BPM is very impressive indeed.  

Yes, I was impressed by the pace. I've been riding e-bikes, both commuters and MTB for a couple of years and my speeds on a normal run usually average about 12mph. I've no idea on my heart rate though.

• Friendly/supportive 1

I can also vouch for the NHS couch to 5k, though once I got to 5k the music got a bit grating, so after a few runs I switched to runkeeper with a property music app.

Then we had a baby and all that stopped...

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Zomboid said:

I can also vouch for the NHS couch to 5k, though once I got to 5k the music got a bit grating, so after a few runs I switched to runkeeper with a property music app.

Then we had a baby and all that stopped...

The current app allows you to play music via any other app, and overlays the guidance at the relevant time. This means I have around 500mp3’s on my phone and play then randomly through the phones player app, whereas the wife was using bbc sounds or Spotify.

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

The current app allows you to play music via any other app, and overlays the guidance at the relevant time. This means I have around 500mp3’s on my phone and play then randomly through the phones player app, whereas the wife was using bbc sounds or Spotify.

i put a playlist on via my Apple Music, the first song, Cher, all or nothing, with the chorus line “I don’t wanna run......” 

• Like 1
  • Funny 3