The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Big Jim’s attempt to become Slim Jim

big jim

• RMweb Gold

Good luck Jim. It is possible to reverse the effects of diabetes if it's adult onset, seems you've caught it in time.

Are you going to change your forum name to 33/2 if you're going to be Slim Jim?

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

Well done Jim, the start is the very hardest part....until you come to the plateau (which I am on now :() we found that Slimming World was brilliant and we both lost a couple of stone in the first few months but then came lockdown and we obviously couldn’t go anymore, I think it is the actual physical meeting each week that helped enormously.  I am lucky my reading was 43...and has been for the last 15 or more years, everything I’ve I see a different doctor they say “are you diabetic” because of my peripheral neuropathy and I have to say no, I’ve been tested but sure enough they always insist on another test.....comes back the same, so instead of calling me diabetic I am pre-diabetic.....in other words normal :lol: when I questioned the doctor about that he did admit it was more to scare people into doing something  before they become diabetic.

Annoyingly though I believe once your recorded as diabetic, you stay diabetic regardless of weight and readings, I thought that odd....so we were told by someone who dropped below the level.

Anyway...bright side you will be able to fit even sporty seats in your Minis soon :D

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Well done  and good luck with it.

We tried to climb Snowdon today. Got about 1/3 the way up the Llanberis path and had to turn back. Not as fit as we used to be. Plus our youngest teenager was having problems with his arthritis. 

There is a little cafe near the bottom that does a lovely pint of Snowdon Craft Lager.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

I should also add my wife is type 2 diabetic moving towards type 1. I can recommend The Pinch of Nom Cook books for help with weight loss and also providing some really good meals. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Well done Jim you've really made a change I take my hat off to you. 

Like yourself I've noticed that my weight has been gradually going up in the seven years I've been driving and sitting in the seat.

So I joined my wife in doing the slimming world diet and cycling to and from work.

And in the last 6 weeks or so I've lost a stone. 

Keep up the great work.

Cheers 

Colin 

• Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

I developed Type 2 diabetes after my weight ballooned to 27 stone, but after two gym courses on prescription I got down to 23 - then stuck.  Like you I too also used to wake up feeling I couldn't breathe, and some of the diabetic meds actually piled more weight on.  Then I went "keto-light" cutting out potatoes, bread, pasta, fruit juice (bad for diabetes) but keeping in selected, mainly oat based breakfast cereals.  Just by diet alone I lost another three and a half stone, and am now 19 and a half, a weight I haven't been for over 20 years, and have dropped several X off the clothing labels.  It is absolutely true, you do feel better for losing the timber, and my blood sugars, which had stubbornly been sticking in the mid 50s, dropped to the point I was in danger of over-medicating and I was taken off one tablet.  It can be done, and nothing is more motivating than getting back into clothes you haven't worn in decades, sleeping better and generally feeling better.  You will from time to time probably crave chocolate or a big blow out, but so long as you don't do it every day, and you repay the indulgence with a serving of stewed grass the next day (my caustic description of salad), it will all balance out.  Eventually, you can train your brain to expect less food - before I went "keto light" I'd have happily polished off a massive plate of fish and orange chips when back in the Midlands, but last time, I actually ended up leaving some, I couldn't physically eat more.

Daliwch ati!

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the above replies, I’m in my mobile so it’s a pain to quote each one individually 

@boxbrownie yes one you are diabetic that’s it, even though I’ve dropped below the safe zone I’ll always be diabetic on paper!

@CovDriver  keep an Eye in your weight up front, I was about 18 Stone as a guard and it didn’t take too long to get to almost 23, I do a fair bit of activity on the freight side, not just a change end and 4 coach walk to the other but I still managed to balloon in size 

I have done weight watchers completely on line with the app on the phone, I can scan items in the shop to get the smart point for it so I can keep within my daily limits, it’s also recorded in the app so you can keep tabs on it daily and weekly 

@wombatofludham it’s going to be expensive having to get a whole new wardrobe! 

I also had a blow out the other week of ‘orange chips’ from the chippy near bescot, never heard of them before but they were lovely, for the woman to just do me one scoops worth though, as for chocolate if I do have some it’s sugar free or diabetic stuff, Aldi have just started doing sugar free bars which my diabetic mate showed me, again one or two pieces from it rather than a whole bar!  

anyway this afternoon I went for a walk into town and back but went the long way round 

D0B6AC3C-FC4D-41C7-A1EF-8698B7F59518.jpeg.80f3cb54d10432b3b1f52d02aba469ee.jpeg

I then went for a ride on the E-bike, considering I’ve not ridden a bike for 15 years I’m pleased with what I managed to do 

F547799E-79F9-4DCE-92BF-691126D7979B.jpeg.aeac14e0459c49d8f74745f6ceb5aedb.jpeg

the bike is now on charge ready for another adventure tomorrow 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 13
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Well done Jim

I trust I will a new slim Jim at our exhibition at Stafford next February (now to be held in Bingley Hall ) a much bigger venue adjacent to our old venue

Keep up the good work 

Eltel 

• RMweb Gold

Well done Jim. I think with any major change of habit it's the first few months that are the hardest, once you get into the new habits it should get a bit easier. 

The better weather we're starting to get should help too, more incentive to get out for some exercise if it's sunny...

Be wary of diabetic or sugar free sweets and chocolate, they are often sweetened with Sorbitol, so called because it's laxative properties will give you a Sor(e) Bot...I once over indulged on some very tasty Spanish made sugar fee chocolate I bought via a well known online retailer and how I didn't overwhelm Fairbourne's sub standard sewers I don't know.  However, I learned my lesson and got into the habit of just allowing myself a couple of squares after a meal whilst satisfying the occasional craving for chocolate.  It was a sort of extreme brain training I guess.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I am aware of the laxative effects of sugar free or diabetic sweets, thankfully not first hand experience of it

Ended up doing 15k steps yesterday but the last 4K (1.8 miles) involved a stop at the pub 1/2 way through and I don’t normally drink so the pace on the 2nd part was a bit slower and more zig zaggy  

63F81003-C1EE-4E18-B67A-142CD6F0B6F4.jpeg.bc7a44372ada8ceb040cc11969836adb.jpeg

Nice evening though 

169A67D5-52FE-4832-85FD-D8782E78450B.jpeg.c2db36d72b2f4dfd5c162245e487006e.jpeg 

might head the other way out of town tomorrow afternoon on the new costal cycle path toward Maryport direction (but not that far!) 

• Like 10
  • Funny 1

There are some good “calorie counting” apps out there.

I’m using a free one, though a paid version with more “features “ is also available.

My Fitness App.

It has helped focus my mind on what I am eating.

I always read the labels, though often during, or after, eating the contents!

I had an upward curve from over indulging in vegan pasties when they were on offer in Lidl over January!

It is sadly quite possible to eat to much good stuff, as well as the “bad” stuff. :(

It is always good to hear about others efforts...

It helps to remind me that I am not alone in this world! :)

:tender:

• Like 4

If you want to do a 5k or even a 10k run then there is only one app you need. The nhs Couch to 5k or C25K. I and my wife took up running in 2019 we are both 60+ using the app as a starter. We have run in races even beating runners much younger than us. We have even managed to railways into running having done 5 and 10k races along the S & D in Bath(relish racing twin tunnels events). Last year during the first lockdown we did 3 half marathons and got a trophy for a challenge of a 5, 10 and a half. Not bad for a couple of oldies.

Keith

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Gold

As @KeithHC says the NHS c25k app is brilliant (although I have called Laura a couple of rude names on occasion).

Personally I find I have to cross-train with cycling or swimming both for my knees and breathing/stamina (having done the program a couple of times after sliding back into bad habits).

Also make sure your phone has a good selection of music with a decent rhythm (although I also have the rocky Horror show soundtrack which makes for the occasion laugh as a short extract intersperses the background music). Alternatively my wife used the bbc sounds app running playlists for the background

• RMweb Gold

I’ve heard a lot about the couch to 5k in the radio etc over lockdown but didn’t realise it was an app, I’ll have a look at that in a bit and get it downloaded 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, CovDriver said:

Well done Jim you've really made a change I take my hat off to you. 

Like yourself I've noticed that my weight has been gradually going up in the seven years I've been driving and sitting in the seat.

So I joined my wife in doing the slimming world diet and cycling to and from work.

And in the last 6 weeks or so I've lost a stone. 

Keep up the great work.

Cheers 

Colin 

Maybe it’s a Rail Driver thing, my Uncle was diagnosed diabetic when he was about 55, he had joined LNER at 14 and retired at 64, when diagnosed he was frightened as the Railway was his life, both working, Union and social, so he changed diet drastically, he was never a “small man” but always very fit, I think an early life of shovelling tons of coal while sweating like pig in slaughter house helped, but I guess later years in top link sitting in the driving seat didn’t help.....but he got through it, stayed on until he said he could take the sh1te from the TOCs anymore and retired after 50 years cleaning, firing and driving.....he died a couple of years ago at 85, nothing related to diabetes and I still miss him every time I see a picture of a Loco.

It is something that can be managed for most people.

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold

Train driving defiantly doesn’t help with its weird shifts, you can’t really get a good eating or sleep pattern going, shifts are set out to give you optimum safe rest for example when switching between days and nights but it’s not that easy to get a routine going 

I like to think that despite of my weight and size I’m fairly nimble and can easily climb into a loco, walk a train length on ballast, get in between to uncouple etc, I know some drivers smaller than myself struggle to do those tasks 

Also I’ve downloaded the couch to 5k app and am going to have a go at that too, it says based on my ability that I can start on week 3, day 1, (1.5min run, 2 min walk x 6) which realistically I feel I can manage, I’ll do it in the sea front later

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Morning, and well done Jim!

I'm also Type 2, and have reduced my HbA1c from low 50's to a constant 37 over 18 months.  Purely on diet - get rid of the carbs!  I have lost 3 stone (15 down to 12) and do feel so much better for it too.  It is our over production of insulin as a result of carb overload that causes our issues, the body then becomes insulin resistant. 

I strongly recommend reading 'The Diabetes Code' by Dr Jason Fung, a Canadian - debunks a lot of the crepe talked about T2, and the 70's hangover of all fats being bad for you - they're not.  But the real way to putting T2 diabetes into remission (you can't cure it) is reduction of carb intake.  Takes a while, you do get carb craving, but you don;t have to go daft with it - full keto isn't too good for you long term I don;t think, but get to reading carb content on [packets, you may be amazed. 

I do about 100 - 150g a day of carbs, and have settled nicely over the last 18 months.  the NHS 'heathy plate' diet did nothing for me - it has carbs and fruit in it, fructose is worse than sucrose.....keep fruit & fruit juices in strict moderation, berries are OK though.  I thought the 'Desmond' course was incredibly out of date.  Well, rubbish actually.  Also look on diabetes.co.uk, great stuff on the forum there.  And me. ;-)  I'm less great.

There's another book I found useful but I can't recall the title, I'll look for it this evening.

Keep up with the exercise, I can do about 8k paces a day but have limits due to my wrecked foot and hip arthritis, I won;t be walking up Snowdon any time soon - maybe Snaefell though!

• Like 2