Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

2 hours ago, GMKAT7 said:

Hello Mol,

An interesting range of open wagons in the left hand background.

BR standard 16T minerals, both rivetted and welded types and grey painted 7 plank opens. 

Plus a 7 plank open with coke rails.

Edit: Both the coke wagon and another 7 plank open appear to be unpainted timber but with darker (painted?) ironwork. Unless the ironwork is just rusty?

Also interesting is the unloading of the wagons directly into coal sacks, none of the cliched 'coal bins' to be seen.

Cheers, Nigel.

Wallington had a vast range of coal bins, all of them beyond the furthest siding. Part of them can be seen in the left corner.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Son and I went there for a brief look at Rocket when she was there a few years back, on a somewhat meandering route to watch Man City play. We both concluded that the museum looked worth a proper return visit, and on the basis of the people we got chatting to in a chip shop, at a tram stop etc, he decided that Manchester is a good place. So, positive all round from the perspective of southerners!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Son and I went there for a brief look at Rocket when she was there a few years back, on a somewhat meandering route to watch Man City play. We both concluded that the museum looked worth a proper return visit, and on the basis of the people we got chatting to in a chip shop, at a tram stop etc, he decided that Manchester is a good place. So, positive all round from the perspective of southerners!

Nearly 20 years since I last went there, it certainly was a very good use of time.

Bending the rules again, sorry. Not Flickr but how about this:

An ancient GWR pannier tank (former 657) in industrial use, hauling a BR coke hopper in factory-fresh grey livery (rather than the usual overall rust):

https://bristolharbourrailway.co.uk/industrial-railways-of-bristol/imperial-smelting-co/#jp-carousel-3252

Imperial Smelting Corporation, Avonmouth, thanks to the Bristol Harbour Railway.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I lived in nearby Newcastle-under-Lyme from 1967 to 1978 and was brought on occasional bus trips to Hanley for shopping with my Mum and Grandma. Sitting on the top deck you could see the remains of the loop line as the bus passed over the bridges.

I also vaguely remember steam locos working the Pool Dam branch in Newcastle although I must have been 4 or 5 at the time.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Had to find an old map to properly trace the route, it was quite a winding railway and there were so many mineral lines connected to it as well.  Excellent image find to draw our attention to the route - safe to say, it's a route that is not on any reopening plans I don't think.

8 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Had to find an old map to properly trace the route, it was quite a winding railway and there were so many mineral lines connected to it as well.  Excellent image find to draw our attention to the route - safe to say, it's a route that is not on any reopening plans I don't think.

I don't think that it would be much use as a heavy rail route these days, but I reckon that the southern section from Tunstall to Etruria could be turned into a pretty useful tram route.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Manchester Central 1960s by MMU Visual Resources

Central Station, Manchester, mid-1960s

Sadly this shot from 1975 is how I remember the station....

Central Station, c. 1975

Great shots! I remember it without trains and before it became GMex. The blue DMUs make it seem quite ‘modern’!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

Manchester Central 1960s by MMU Visual Resources

Central Station, Manchester, mid-1960s

I've always found it rather interesting that in the early days of blue, BR couldn't decide how much yellow to use on the DMUs. Some just had a small yellow panel, some a full yellow end, and others the yellow wrapped round onto the cab door. Together with variations on the roof dome colour (some were white, even in blue livery) there was a lot of variety. This super shot shows the 'more yellow' option. If I'd been born 50 years earlier my commute from Urmston would no doubt have been on one of these units!

Edited by Mol_PMB
  • Like 6

The pics in my previous post were from a very quick search on Flickr. I've also had a look through the book 'First Generation DMUs in Colour' (Stuart Mackay) which includes photos of classes 104, 108, and 113 with wrap-round yellow ends.

There are also plenty of photos of DMUs with small yellow panels on blue, sometimes but not always with white roofs. These were probably more common than the wrap-around yellow end.

The variant I've only found in one photo (in the same book) is a class 105 in blue with half yellow ends (i.e. the whole bottom half of the end is yellow).

Mol

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

and yet, there were a fair few examples on different classes:

124_DMC_1967 110_SettleJ_6-67 c.07/1970 - Moor Lane, Naburn, York.

jgroom_51188_wirksworthyard_10august2013_1c

At the other extreme, no yellow panel at all (would it have been on the corridor connection cover?)

c.1968 - Twyford, Berkshire.

Looks like it:

W55991_Reading_7-10-68

(Robertcwp of this parish Flickr image)

Simon

• Like 8

On 21/12/2023 at 11:04, Mol_PMB said:

A Mk1 coach, a Freightliner(ish)* container flat, and a rake of 16t minerals, all in the same train:

O'0308 Fearn NB Goods nd

from Ernie on Flickr. 

*Is this actually a former Speedfreight container in blue stripe livery?

Mol

CA 27ft container https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/speedfreight/e68e4cf20  https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/speedfreight/e67e0ad67

Paul

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3