CKPR's 7mm pre-grouping modelling

28 minutes ago, CKPR said:

I am actually part Scots so I'm allowed to make the observation that presumably the sub-6" planking was to save the NBR the odd bawbee or two per van... 

They were, after all an Edinburgh concern.  A city of lawyers and accountants!

Jim

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Both very useful to someone who has only just stared any 7 mm work, for a club layout, after working in EM for decades.

My next question is how one cuts 6.4166666667?!

Another issue is that although in 4 mm 40 thou can be taken as 3 inches (and I use 30 though to represent 2.5 inch thick planks!) when one gets to 7 mm the various imperial sizes of plastics sheet and strip don't match very will.

Jonathan

PS I don't think it was only the Scots who were "careful" with their wood.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

Both very useful to someone who has only just stared any 7 mm work, for a club layout, after working in EM for decades.

I’ve been on the same journey - one of the things I’ve found odd working in 7mm is that some things things are too small. I’m thinking of things like the diameter of shafts in brake gear, which in 4mm I was always trying to get as fine as possible. In 7mm I sometimes work out how big something should be to scale, and it’s chunkier than my instincts thought it would be.

Nick.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• 2 weeks later...

First model railway show in several years and who should be at the Ludlow event but Connoisseur Models - had quite a long chat with Jim and I think the last of the US brass (and some very rare vac-form aircraft kits) will have to be sold to raise the, ahem, brass for his trio of NER 4w coaches. 

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

Continuing the discussion of the North Sunderland's  motive power that was started over on @Edwardian's 'Richmond' thread, the penultimate North Sunderland engine (as in engines that were used  on the North Sunderland) arrived today in the form of a half-assembled  Sevenscale L&Y pug kit. My first thoughts on examining it was that this was the UK equivalent of the legendary Roundhouse Shay kit, which also dates from the late 1970s - both were a major step forward in locomotive kits but goodness me, there's quite some work involved on the part of the builder ! I think this is going to be a major project, not least because the white-metal outside motion will need to be remade in brass and nickel silver. And yes, I still have one of those Roundhouse Shay kits hidden away in the attic. 

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 7

38 minutes ago, brossard said:

Your mention of Jim and NER carriages reminded me that this second hand one is on Steamline:

http://www.steamline.co.uk/csl66

Not really well done IMO, but perhaps stripping the paint and re-doing will improve things.

John

As luck would have it, I succombed a few weeks ago and bought the very same kit - another project for Autumn! 

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Not specifically modelling but currently in Seahouses for the week and engaging in some psychogeographical exploration along the remarkably intact route of the North Sunderland Rly. Oh, and photographing the surviving features, principally North Sunderland platform and Fleetham Bridge. The latter would make a really nice piece of cameo modelling along the lines of the North American finescale 1:48 modellers. 

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 8

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Just to let you all know that I'm still pottering along in the senior scale, collecting kits, including a large pile of ABS wagons, for an Autumn building campaign and working away on various common or garden LNER wagons. Now, the Parkside O gauge range - the first one I built, I wasn't impressed with the underframe and used part of my precious stock of ABS and ex-CCW (!) parts to rebuild it. Then I discovered that all Parkside kits have pretty much the same not very good underframe. Hmmm, I must admit that I was expecting better as these were scarcely better than the old 3H kits, which at least had a certain charm to them. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, CKPR said:

Now, the Parkside O gauge range - the first one I built, I wasn't impressed with the underframe and used part of my precious stock of ABS and ex-CCW (!) parts to rebuild it. Then I discovered that all Parkside kits have pretty much the same not very good underframe. Hmmm, I must admit that I was expecting better as these were scarcely better than the old 3H kits, which at least had a certain charm to them. 

The earlier Parkside 4 mm kits are a bit hit-and-miss underframewise, from the point of view of ease of construction - and that includes many of the LNER types - but the later kits, notably the RCH 1923 PO wagons, are among the very best injection-molded kits I've had the pleasure of building. So don't let some bad experiences put you off the range, and perhaps try something other than an LNER prototype!

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

I've built quite a lot of Parkside 0 gauge wagons and quite like them.  Slater's kits might just edge them out because they include etched brass parts while Parkside generally don't.  However, part of the fun is improving kits where what is provided may not be optimum. 

One pretty awful feature of Parkside brake vans are the plastic step hangers (Slater's are LWB).  I tend to break these just getting them off the sprue.  In all cases, I have substituted scratchbuilt hangers from brass strip.

John

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

30 minutes ago, SteamAle said:

Very nice and I like the look of the LNER lamps...of course, the North Sunderland was known for being a bit lax about the niceties of BoT operating requirements when it came to lamps,  single line working procedures, point locks, etc  !

• Like 2