CKPR's 7mm pre-grouping modelling

On 22/06/2021 at 19:19, SteamAle said:

Will you be purchasing some M&CR Chauldren wagons?

Never mind them, you've made me break my no r-t-r rule as  after reading the latest 'Lakes Express' , I'm after one of those Dapol 'Carlisle Southend Co-op' wagons (oh well, the only r-t-r that will run on the 4mm M&CR are a couple of converted PO wagons, including a Bachmann 'Carlisle Southend Co-op' wagon, so no change there then).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's just Direct Debit / Paypal modelling and I'm still finishing off the Allerdale Coal Co. wagons for 'Mealsgate', but I have received some rather exciting post over the past fortnight. I'll start by making the NER hopper and detailing the 'Carlisle Co-op' wagon [only a few left now at C&M Models, Carlisle]. I know the latter is RTR, but there's still plenty to do in terms of detailing & painting and it should help me to recalibrate my 4mm-orientated sense of size and proportion to the working in the larger scale. I've also obtained various wagon parts and will starting on a couple of open wagons, probably M&CR and NER. I've purchased sufficient track and just need a couple more points  for the track layout at Brampton Town itself. 

O gauge start.jpg

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Wither the NER autocoach to go with the stunning BTP kit ? That will be scratch-built ( David Jenkinson's "Carriage Modelling Made Easy" is on order) but whilst I was looking for any on-line information about such vehicles and googling 'NER push pull train', I came across this RTR version, which I thought was rather sweet https://www.vilac.com/en/pull-toys/1798-bus-tra-ner-ingela-p-arrhenius-3048700077363.html . I will ensure that the passengers in the autocoach to 'Brampton Town' include a cat and a bear !

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, CKPR said:

Wither the NER autocoach to go with the stunning BTP kit ? That will be scratch-built ( David Jenkinson's "Carriage Modelling Made Easy" is on order) but whilst I was looking for any on-line information about such vehicles and googling 'NER push pull train', I came across this RTR version, which I thought was rather sweet https://www.vilac.com/en/pull-toys/1798-bus-tra-ner-ingela-p-arrhenius-3048700077363.html . I will ensure that the passengers in the autocoach to 'Brampton Town' include a cat and a bear !

Nice to see that as you move upscale, your modelling standards are also improving!

• Funny 1

• 3 weeks later...

As we all know, the planned coal staithes at Seahouses were never actually built, at least not on reality...unless you count the version of Seahouses on the classic 'Millport & Selfield' layout !  

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Actually I find that it is often 20 thou squares in 7 mm, which are a bit easier. My 7 mm modelling is only goods wagons for our club layout, and I intend it to stay that way. I find scratch building wagons very enjoyable in 7 mm - though even the bits such as axleboxes, wheels and buffers don't come cheap. And an excellent source for such things is Invertrain - no connection except as a satisfied customer. Currently those squares are being added to the first of a pair of Mid Wales Railway timber wagons - dumb buffered so cheaper!

But be warned. You can soon find that you have too many wagons for the layout.

I shall be watching this thread with interest.

Jonathan

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's an NER locomotive but not one made by me [happy to help out the Stanier Mogul Fund] and not really relevant to Brampton Town  - it is, of course, an H class 0-4-0T, later LNER Y7 and another of my favourite NER locomotives. This is the third model of a class H / Y7 that I've owned, having previously built two Nu-Cast kits to make 68089 as ran on the North Sunderland and yes, this one is destined to become the third 68089. For the moment, she is my first  pre-group NER engine and is doing duty as works shunter for the first of the O gauge wagons. The NER hopper is now on its wheels and the NBR van is a S/H Parkside kit that I've stripped and refurbished, including making a new roof that is currently awaiting it's tissue paper 'canvas'. The LNER 12t van that can be seen sneaking into view came with the NBR van in a similar state and is undergoing the same treatment. As I said previously, I'm getting some practice in building / refurbishing  various kits before embarking on O gauge scratch-building - I'm already finding that my 4mm wagons seem very small and crude in comparison.  

Y7 2.jpg

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

As CKPR's modelling coffers are a bit depleted after buying the H class and some 4mm parts (see the Mealsgate thread), the brake gear for the NBR and LNER vans is going to be scratchbuilt  - I'm sorely tempted to fabricate working brakes on the NBR van !

• Like 6

1 hour ago, CKPR said:

Well, it's an NER locomotive but not one made by me [happy to help out the Stanier Mogul Fund] and not really relevant to Brampton Town  - it is, of course, an H class 0-4-0T, later LNER Y7 and another of my favourite NER locomotives. This is the third model of a class H / Y7 that I've owned, having previously built two Nu-Cast kits to make 68089 as ran on the North Sunderland and yes, this one is destined to become the third 68089. For the moment, she is my first  pre-group NER engine and is doing duty as works shunter for the first of the O gauge wagons. The NER hopper is now on its wheels and the NBR van is a S/H Parkside kit that I've stripped and refurbished, including making a new roof that is currently awaiting it's tissue paper 'canvas'. The LNER 12t van that can seen sneaking into view came with the NBR van in a similar state and is undergoing the same treatment. As I said previously, I'm getting some practice in building / refurbishing  various kits before embarking on O gauge scratch-building - I'm already finding that my 4mm wagons seem very small and crude in comparison.  

Y7 2.jpg

Oh I love the little H, who wouldn't? I do have one in 4mm made by Tom Turbosnail of this parish.  I will paint it up once I've built the other loco slated for W Worsdell green; H2 No.407.  I've just acquired two coach kits to go with the H2, so no excuses now! 

• Like 4

As Mrs-CKPR-to-be is away on a ladies seaside jaunt on the old NER itself, I have seized the moment to find out exactly how much space I will require for O gauge - OK, so I have basically laid out all of my O gauge stuff on the floor. Of course, most of you will have spotted that the track plan isn't Brampton Town and neither is the motive power, thus risking censure from both the serious fine-scale 7mm community and fellow pre-grouping enthusiasts ( @SteamAle will be upset on both counts, not to mention the heinous crime of modelling somewhere outside of Cumbria - sorry Phil !). Don't worry, Brampton Town will be built (probably after I actually build the 'BTP') but for now I probably should move this over to the 7mm forum, although my complete disinterest in Dapol and Heljan diesels might mark me out as a heathen non-believer...

layout.jpg

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 7

8 minutes ago, CKPR said:

although my complete disinterest in Dapol and Heljan diesels might make out as a heathen non-believer...

there some of us out there not interested in RTR, we gather in darkened rooms plotting evil schemes out of sight

• Like 8

It has occurred to me that if you good people can tolerate some initial LNER and BR motive power (and after all, who doesn't like a Sentinel Y3 or a Y7 ? ) then 'Seahouses' could readily evolve into a pe-grouping layout -  the North Sunderland looked much the same throughout its existence, the iconic ex-NER coaches were running before WW1 and if I built "Bamburgh" before "Lady Armstrong", we would be back in the pre-grouping era before you knew it. As per  'Brampton Town', I'm tempted to move on from the Edwardian era ('Mealsgate' is set in 1908) and to focus on the late pre-grouping era of 1918-1923.

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 8

• CKPR changed the title to CKPR's 7mm pre-grouping modelling
  • RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, sir douglas said:

there some of us out there not interested in RTR, we gather in darkened rooms plotting evil schemes out of sight

And there are some not interested in kits, and we gather in evil rooms and plot darkened schemes which we mostly can’t see, them being in a dark pencil on dark paper in a dark room…

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
On 21/08/2021 at 12:20, CKPR said:

It has occurred to me that if you good people can tolerate some initial LNER and BR motive power 

Surely virtually all motive power in the North East in LNER and BR days was ex-NER anyway?

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Surely virtually all motive power in the North East in LNER and BR days was ex-NER anyway?

And it was pretty much always painted black so bar the numbering, no-one will be any the wiser...the Sentinel will just have to be a very advanced prototype being tested on the North Sunderland as per the Armstrong-Whitworth diesels [cf The Derwent Valley Rly. and their early use of a Sentinel between 1925-27].

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 2

I have a passing interest in pre-grouping, mostly because my friend is quite passionate about the North British Railway. 

I have done quite a bit of work for him, including refurbishing some quite dire SH wagons. A couple of examples:

P1010025.JPG.14b050012584c92b9dac659c914e931d.JPG

P1010028.JPG.f2741cff3c6a8523c5cbedafce231c28.JPG

I have also built two 62C NBR carriages:

P1010022-001.JPG.6b8ef20840174c8167bb9471d4706d53.JPG

6 wheeled luggage composite with gas lighting and 4 wheeled brake third with oil lighting.

These are waiting for me to add interiors.  Another 4 wheel brake third is on the shelf.

I will take RTR or kit.  Kits can be better than RTR if the builder has the right philosophy about building models of rolling stock and not just throwing the kit bits together.  I take the view that RTR is acceptable if generally done right so I can embellish with my touches.

My main interest is BR 1962, I like that I can run steam and early diesels.

An excursion into something earlier is very interesting.

John

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Well spotted.  I recall that I found a HMRS picture of a similar wagon that I used as my guide for lettering.  It was a bit indistinct (on account of the HMRS logo plastered on it and I'm too cheap to buy the photo) but l took the load as 16T.  I figured Pig Iron is pretty heavy stuff.  The wagon is no longer in my possession.

https://hmrs.org.uk/photographs/16t-1-plank-pig-iron-cr-17986-op-r3l.html

John