The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you feel old!

Coldgunner

Bah humbug!

Trying to keep this cheery and fun rather than a moanathon about 'young' people or 'things were better in my day' lol. I came to the realisation that I might not be in the young category any more when it came up on Twitter today that Robin Hood Prince of Thieves was released 30 years ago. A film I very much remember going to the cinema to enjoy. Other little things I remember is the daft things like the zany clothing styles and being able to get lost for the whole day and parents didn't worry too much. We could pretty much leave the house at 9am and not come home till 7/8/9pm at night. Safety was in numbers, and a big group of kids going on an adventure kept us all safe.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see kids having 30 a-side football matches on the big field or building dens. Does this not happen any more, what am I missing exactly?

• Like 1

I know the feeling. Our eldest is 17 on Saturday. Waiting on his provisional licence and has been holding down two jobs for some time. Totally independent, apart from the Taxi of Mum and Dad. His taste in music is dubious. My parents winced when I bought a Guns n Roses album with an advisory lyrics label, but all his have them. Def Leppard it ain't. 

I worry for both the boys, what with stabbings, crime and the like. My childhood seems so much more gentle.

• Agree 3

My 10 year old nephew watching other people play computer games online when he's got the same games and hardly ever plays them....

No idea what that is all about. :dontknow:

It's not like he's watching it for tips or as a walkthrough as he's stuck at a certain point. It's like he's watching a football match.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, didcot said:

I know the feeling. Our eldest is 17 on Saturday. Waiting on his provisional licence and has been holding down two jobs for some time. Totally independent, apart from the Taxi of Mum and Dad. His taste in music is dubious. My parents winced when I bought a Guns n Roses album with an advisory lyrics label, but all his have them. Def Leppard it ain't. 

I worry for both the boys, what with stabbings, crime and the like. My childhood seems so much more gentle.

I'm very lucky , my 18yr old son loves Kiss, Van Halen and Motorhead and says today's music is cack.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Coldgunner said:

Trying to keep this cheery and fun rather than a moanathon about 'young' people or 'things were better in my day'

Best of luck with that! ;)

Given Wheeltappers' norms it shouldn't take too long. I'm confident we can make it through the first page though.

2 hours ago, Coldgunner said:

I don't see kids building dens.

I'll try to remember to photograph a rustic, makeshift, creekside shelter made of branches alongside the trail I walk on everyday for you. It looks like it was built by children at play.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

Since 1998, the Beloit College has prepared their "mindet list" to remind faculty what the incoming class of freshmen sees as "normal" for their cohort.

From the class of 2021* mindset list:

• They have always been searching for Pokemon
  • There have always been emojis

• There has always been a London Eye on the Thames
  • Dusty Springfield has never been alive in their lifetime
  • Paleontologists have always imagined dinosaurs with colorful plumage

* Last of the Millennials

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 1

12 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

I think that my depression on the day my eldest son reached 40 years of age was worse that I experienced on my own 40th birthday. 

How about your youngest reaching that age?

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

19 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I'll try to remember to photograph a rustic, makeshift, creekside shelter made of branches alongside the trail I walk on everyday for you. It looks like it was built by children at play.

Possibly a homeless person’s shelter? That’s more likely than a kids’ “den” around here.

3 minutes ago, pH said:

How about your youngest reaching that age?

Another 2 years to go for him. 

My daughter will be 40 later this year. I think she will take it badly. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 minute ago, pH said:

Possibly a homeless person’s shelter?

No, this is all scavenged natural materials.

A homeless shelter would involve a tarp and loads of litter with a shopping cart (trolley) or two, not to mention the inhabitant. We have more than our share in Portland. In the little (entitled) suburban town where I live they are made unwelcome.

Realising that you are older than the majority of senior ministers and shadow ministers in government. And considerably better equipped to run the country, obviously :lol:

Seeing vehicles you still think of as impossibly modern advertised for sale as "nice old classics". 

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I am actually old, 70 next year.

Feeling old began for me about 30 years ago when the trees I remember being planted in the early 60s to screen the view of the Spencer Steelworks at Llanwern at the time that it was built from the South Wales Main Line had grown into a fully mature woodland and were performing their intended function.  A whole forest grew up and I was still alive...  the forest is still there but of course most of the steelworks isn't.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1