The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you feel old!

Coldgunner

11 hours ago, doilum said:

When faced with a price rise for beer, petrol,whatever and realizing that the new increase is greater than the price you first paid. Beer at 1/10d or petrol at 30p per gallon....

When i started driving you could get 4 UK gallons for a pound and a few pence change,  but then take home pay wasn't as much as today . Going further you were likely to get only about 25mpg around town driving and possibly low 30s if you went for a run out in the country. Servicing included items like nipple greasing, remember them and service intervals of 5K. Ah the golden days.

• Like 1

Two football related ones.

Those that think that football didn't exist or was somehow different pre Premier League. Therefore anything that happened pre 1992 is irrelevant.....

Adults buying Panini sticker books and a big box full of stickers. That's cheating!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08P91KPBF/ref=emc_b_5_i

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Wine glasses! Many years ago I had some basic flutes for white wine or fizz, from Woolies (and if that doesn't show my age, what does ?  :sad_mini:) - 125ml, or 6 glasses per bottle. Not so long ago, the last of them broke. No problem, supermarkets have wine glasses - I got the smallest I could find (silly huge stems so they won't fit on the shelf, about 200ml each). Now I need to buy a second bottle to get my 6 glasses.  :jester:

• Like 2
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, zarniwhoop said:

Wine glasses! Many years ago I had some basic flutes for white wine or fizz, from Woolies (and if that doesn't show my age, what does ?  :sad_mini:) - 125ml, or 6 glasses per bottle. Not so long ago, the last of them broke. No problem, supermarkets have wine glasses - I got the smallest I could find (silly huge stems so they won't fit on the shelf, about 200ml each). Now I need to buy a second bottle to get my 6 glasses.  :jester:

I can do you some very nice, though I say it myself, handmade porcelain goblets which are (astonishingly, as we didn't aim for it) exactly 185 ml, if that helps at all [/shameless plug]. ;)

• Like 2

1 shilling and 6 pence  as a Stretford End Junior in 1966 to watch Best. Law and Charlton.  When I left the UK in 2018 it was £43.00 to watch Fred, Rashford ( Fine person but needs to locate where the goal is) and, take your pick from Martial, Young, Dan James, Shaw and McTominey etc.

No fear of being cancelled from social media because I have not the faintest ideas of how social media "works".

I am either "asleep" or I am "awake". Where does "woke" enter the discussion?. I apolopgise if the correct punctuation may confort some people sensitivities on here and they find it "aggressive" !!!!! 

Isn't 2021 marvellous when us "old gits" have to say that  we will live the rest of our life by our old standards/values and god help the one's left whenj we are gone? C'est la vie . I am sure my parents thought the same, however, the Western world seems to be on self detsruct.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Flicking through some old railway magazines and seeing articles on well remembered layouts such as David Jenkinson's Little Long Drag and Vivien Thompson's Eastbourne and realising that was half a century ago....

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Looking back on a Saturday trolleybus trip from Hammersmith to North Finchley and back. The local kids were off to the cinema to watch a St Trinians film. 60 years ago.  

Looking at the 1964 skool photo, and realising that the pretty 13-y-o in the front row had become a grandmother, by the time she married you 51 years later....

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

Seeing a pub change it's name back to the name it had 40 years ago.  (Shame the prices aren't the same as 40 years ago)

I should add the recent name change caused consternation amongst some people who did not realise it was simply reverting back to it's original name.    

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 3

On 18/06/2021 at 10:27, Trofimow said:

Flicking through some old railway magazines and seeing articles on well remembered layouts such as David Jenkinson's Little Long Drag and Vivien Thompson's Eastbourne and realising that was half a century ago....

In a similar vein - sitting here looking through 'Railway Modeller' April 1980 with that wonderful shot of 'Chiltern Green' on the cover and remembering delivering that issue on my paper round to the house a few doors down from where I live. I remember it so well because I slowed down a bit so I could have a sly read before popping it through the letterbox!

• Like 7

55 minutes ago, petethemole said:

Reading the above post and remembering going over Chiltern Green viaduct and seeing an ER train on the branch below.

I've been driving over it for nigh on fifteen years and always think back to that issue of Railway Modeller as I waft along the slow lines. The only time I've ever driven under it was when I collected my Cooper S from Hertford the day I bought it, it's quite an impressive sight from road level.

• RMweb Premium

My 17 year old nephew stating his favourite (and in his opinion the very best) Star Wars film was 'Phantom Menace' and that the originals were 'rubbish' (or words to that effect). Apparently they are too old and clunky.

"Too old?!" quoteth me with indignation, pointing out that everything since the original trilogy is derivative rubbish (or words to that effect), an that 'Empire' is, and forever will, be the greatest of the films. Then it dawned on me; Star Wars is as old to him as Titfield Thunderbolt is to me...

Not knocking the Thunderbolt I should add - quality film.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

32 minutes ago, Claude_Dreyfus said:

My 17 year old nephew stating his favourite (and in his opinion the very best) Star Wars film was 'Phantom Menace' and that the originals were 'rubbish' (or words to that effect). Apparently they are too old and clunky.

"Too old?!" quoteth me with indignation, pointing out that everything since the original trilogy is derivative rubbish (or words to that effect), an that 'Empire' is, and forever will, be the greatest of the films. Then it dawned on me; Star Wars is as old to him as Titfield Thunderbolt is to me...

I recall trying to explain to an underwhelmed teenager who had just seen Phantom Menace, the impact the original Star Wars had had when it was released.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The problem is they watch them wrong so they don't get the whole "I AM your father!" which to be honest is the entire story.

Otherwise it's just a story about a small planet wanting to leave an exploitative trade bloc and them being embargoed. It's virtually Brexit before Brexit happened and you wouldn't watch a film about that!

I'm not putting SPOILERS as if you haven't seen it yet, tough! You've had 40 odd years. :prankster:

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Claude_Dreyfus said:

Just lack of taste there - Rogue One's the best Star Wars film since the original trilogy. :)

To be fair the pacing and polish of The Empire Strikes Back is quite a step up (no doubt at least partially due to the success of Star Wars enabling a rather bigger budget).

Edited by Reorte
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Reorte said:

Just lack of taste there - Rogue One's the best Star Wars film since the original trilogy. :)

To be fair the pacing and polish of The Empire Strikes Back is quite a step up (no doubt at least partially due to the success of Star Wars enabling a rather bigger budget).

it was alright. Worth watching and can be watched as a stand alone movie.

But it's more of a remake of an old war movie set in space....

I won't give any spoilers on that one, but think The Dirty Dozen and other war films mixed with a few westerns, with elements of martial arts films.