Cavalex - all new Class 56 in OO

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Chrisjh said:

Just wondering if anyone knows of any retailers who might have 56 008 BR Blue DCC sound for sale?, many thanks Chris 

They still have them at Trains4U; I ordered (a second) one on Wednesday and it arrived today.   

Hi.

As someone just starting off in the hobby can anyone tell me if I buy a DCC Class 56 what would I need to give it sound

and would it sound the same with all the sounds as the current DCC sound version??

Thanks. 

To those commenting, it's your responsibility to inform the retailer if your card has changed since pre-ordering.  Not the other way around 

Take some responsibility.

• Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, GarryH said:

Hi.

As someone just starting off in the hobby can anyone tell me if I buy a DCC Class 56 what would I need to give it sound

and would it sound the same with all the sounds as the current DCC sound version??

Thanks. 

For sound you would need a DCC sound decoder and a speaker. DCC alone on a decoder won't add sound, even if you put a speaker in. 

If you want to go along the sound-fitted route, the best option is to buy a ready-fitted version as that actually is cheaper than buying a non-sound (DC analogue) version and buying a sound decoder and speaker.

Next best option is the non-sound version and add the aforementioned sound decoder and speaker.

Least best option is buy the DCC-fitted one then later buy a sound decoder and speaker. This option leaves you with a spare non-sound decoder to fit in a different locomotive or unit. In the longer term this is the most expensive option.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

52 minutes ago, NBL said:

To those commenting, it's your responsibility to inform the retailer if your card has changed since pre-ordering.  Not the other way around 

You quoting terms and conditions or just offering opinion?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, 37403 said:

Thanks for the reply. I had a look at this but appears to be okay.

My other loco runs fine so appears to be unique to this particular one.

Morning 37403, 

Sorry to hear about the issues with your loco.

i have sent you a pm.

8 hours ago, NBL said:

In your opinion!

I’m not sure many people on here, would think the same way as you.

At the end of the day, if a customer is giving you their business, most model shops (thankfully,) have the common courtesy of contacting the customer if there is an issue with the card. Rails did this, but only by email, and almost a week after the models were released! 

Bear in mind, the order was placed two and a half years ago and, like a lot of people, I have multiple credit cards, so I don’t always remember which card has changed details since then! It was a genuine oversight.

I paid a £30 deposit in May 21, so I don’t think it’s being unreasonable to expect my choice to be reserved for me.

So why on earth, do you think I should ‘take responsibility’ for that?! 

I sincerely hope you don’t work in any industry that is customer-facing, as charm is not one of your strengths, is it sunshine?! 😜

Edited by nickb4141
Spelling
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, NBL said:

Absolutely, if you know a toy train delivery is imminent, double check with the retailer BEFORE the rush, not wait until the retailer is knee deep in customer shipments and then wonder why they haven't had time to phone you (along with hundreds of others) to check details.

• Like 3
  • Agree 9

1 hour ago, nickb4141 said:

In your opinion!

I’m not sure many people on here, would think the same way as you.

At the end of the day, if a customer is giving you their business, most model shops (thankfully,) have the common courtesy of contacting the customer if there is an issue with the card. Rails did this, but only be email, and almost a week after the models were released! 

Bear in mind, the order was placed two and a half years ago and, like a lot of people, I have multiple credit cards, so I don’t always remember which card has changed details since then! It was a genuine oversight.

I paid a £30 deposit in May 21, so I don’t think it’s being unreasonable to expect my choice to be reserved for me.

So why on earth, do you think I should ‘take responsibility’ for that?! 

I sincerely hope you don’t work in any industry that is customer-facing, as charm is not one of your strengths, is it sunshine?! 😜

You have changed your card, it's up to you to inform the retailers you have ordered from.  It's not their responsibility to chase you up, especially when they are all hands on deck with huge deliveries. 

If you can't keep track of changing cards, it's your issue, not the retailers.

If you changed bank accounts would you expect your mortgage or car finance provider to send you a friendly reminder to update your details?   No, you would be told to sort it out or risk penalties.  Its no different, your financial records are your responsibility, not anyone else's.

I sincerely hope you don't work in any financial industry, because financial tracking is not one of your strong points is it, sunshine.

• Like 6
  • Agree 5
  • Round of applause 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, nickb4141 said:

Rails did this, but only by email, and almost a week after the models were released! 

Most retailers, if they have a large number of orders to despatch, will process all the easiest ones first to make space and get money in the bank. When they've cleared the majority they can spend time on the more time consuming transactions.

If you want to stand the best chance of getting the fastest service you have to make sure everything you can do is done.

• Like 12
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Most retailers, if they have a large number of orders to despatch, will process all the easiest ones first to make space and get money in the bank. When they've cleared the majority they can spend time on the more time consuming transactions.

If you want to stand the best chance of getting the fastest service you have to make sure everything you can do is done.

The best way to do this is pay in full, I didn’t order mine to late November/ December last year. Put the £30 deposit down then phoned Rails  up fortnightly and paid the remainder in two lumps. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I can't speak for Rails but can speak as someone who has run mail order operations. The Cavalex 56's were a massive pre-order by any standards and we know that Rails had a huge quantity (two trucks worth) of locos to process. Only Cavalex and Rails will know the numbers but that is hundreds and possibly a thousand or more locos (we also know Accura sold 18k 37's across their SKU's so you can do some guesstimating off that).

I am also told by people in the trade that some other manufacturers also sent out large shipments of product at the same time to retailers, so they may have been trying to manage the avalanche of 56's and all the BAU stuff. I would also guess that Rails is one of the beneficiaries of the Hattons closure, so demand may have spiked hugely. Remember model trains is a small business sector with low margins, this is not Amazon style logistics as the margins and volumes is not there and Hattons apparently couldn't make it work.

Do the math, Rails and others are trying to cope with an exceptional volume of this hugely successful product, run BAU and absorb the fallout from Hattons. If Rails have screwed up (and there are sufficient holes in the story presented to suggest that we have not had the full picture) then they, and graciously Cavalex as well, will sort it out in due course.

Edited by ruggedpeak
typo
  • Like 8

I chose my Cavalex retailer on the basis that I could collect and pay in person - no courier angst or wondering where I was in the queue for packing and delivery, and at the same time saving the retailer the need to pack and post it. I know that's not possible for everyone but it's worth a consideration. (They also ended up selling me an extra one, so wins all round).

• Like 1

Not an option for many . Cavalex retailers seem to follow a lay line - nothing much west or south of london .

Theres a couple of geographical holes there I’m surprised kernow and or derails didn’t fill but I’m not party to the commercial agreements 

IMG_0106.png

30 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Not an option for many . Cavalex retailers seem to follow a lay line - nothing much west or south of london .

Theres a couple of geographical holes there I’m surprised kernow and or derails didn’t fill but I’m not party to the commercial agreements 

IMG_0106.png

Understood - I live south of London. However, John Dutfield is half an hour by train out of Liverpool Street station and I fancied an afternoon out. It was just a personal choice, but also based on the store itself being an Aladdin's Cave of stock with no internet listings so well worth an enjoyable rummage...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

Understood - I live south of London. However, John Dutfield is half an hour by train out of Liverpool Street station and I fancied an afternoon out. It was just a personal choice, but also based on the store itself being an Aladdin's Cave of stock with no internet listings so well worth an enjoyable rummage...

I second that: I had a happy 12 months contracting for Essex County Council in County Hall...just a few minutes' walk from John Dutfield (as long as you remember they're closed on Wednesdays!)...

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

16 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

I should have taken a look, was in the Ipswich area a couple of weeks ago . Closest  to Swindon is Cheltenham model centre now….not a bad place for a trip out 

Edited by rob D2
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

the store itself being an Aladdin's Cave of stock with no internet listings so well worth an enjoyable rummage...

it is well worth the trip to Chelmsford just for the rummage factor.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Even though I was unhappy with the service from Rails for my 56's, it won't stop me using them again for future models on preorder. I've used them for years with no problems beforehand. I used to visit the shop on a regular basis because they are after all my local model shop. I stopped going in due to health reasons but they have continued a great service mail order too. I just class this as a blip in the matrix and normal service will resume shortly :)

I was surprised kernow weren't on the list of suppliers though

Don't forget - not our problem, agreed - a certain other 'provider' has disappeared off the supplier front recently.

For one part this would have been a pleasant surprise for Rails I've no doubt, but has probably given a sudden increase in orders and responsibilities / commitments they weren't anticipating - possibly.

I've used them a lot since I reappeared on the model railway scene, after a 30-year hiatus, and invariably have had excellent and fair service from them.

Al.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

IMG_0106.png

I don't see any retailers in Romania!?

image.png.3fe8ba1dd968b54333e89588570f51e4.png

• Funny 3