Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Cavalex - all new Class 56 in OO

AY Mod

Congratulations Cavalex guys! I've got four of your sound fitted beauties. Awesome noise. Along with Deltics, Class 56s were always my favourite Diesel locos. When your ready, here are my requests for Run 2 :

56 036 in BR Large Logo

56 038 Western Mail or 56 040 Oystermouth in BR Blue

56 135 as built in Railfreight Grey

Many Thanks

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, RBE said:

Apparently ESU have changed the plug size on the commercial release of the speaker for some reason (without mentioning it to us) so is too big for the 56 socket now. You may need to source a different plug to solder in it's place or solder the wires to the speaker pads on the board for the new speaker.

Just a heads up.

I successfully filed the plug down in mine and got it to fit on the one I added DCC sound to. There was nothing to lose in trying it out before cutting off the plug and soldering it to the decoder instead.

Edited by 97406
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

21 minutes ago, carefreeroz said:

Congratulations Cavalex guys! I've got four of your sound fitted beauties. Awesome noise. Along with Deltics, Class 56s were always my favourite Diesel locos. When your ready, here are my requests for Run 2 :

56 036 in BR Large Logo

56 038 Western Mail or 56 040 Oystermouth in BR Blue

56 135 as built in Railfreight Grey

Many Thanks

With you on Oystermouth in BR blue, though Hornby did a railfreight grey version but blue is my preference.

Also, 56001 'Whatley' in pristine Construction Sector grey please (first one I saw in that livery!).

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Just wondering if spares of the cab light are available. Just noticed one cab light isn’t working. I have given the contracts and pins a clean but hasn’t made any difference. 

Several things surprised I think most of us ...

1. Just how precisely detailed the locomotive is.
  2. How well made and solid it is - nothing falling off, nothing 'found' in boxes on arrival.
  3. Just how easy it is to remove the body - unwittingly I think I've removed mine perhaps 10-12 times - each time removal has been easy and replacement just the same.

Having stated the above, I have to refer to my item 2. above .... it had been mentioned by another that one of the 'line scrapers' (no idea what they're called - apologies for my ignorance) had been found in his box.

Looking at mine more closely this evening, one of mine was missing!!  Naughty words!

I was certain all were in situ on arrival, so it could only be nearby where I fitted the buffer beam detailing .... and it was - located and reattached without issue - perfect again!

Al.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Hi All,

Without getting to far ahead of ourselves, looking at the success of these loco’s I would of thought a second run would be inevitable.

Agree on ‘Whatley’ 56,001 in Construction sub-sector livery plus a Dutch variant, a Transrail TG variant & a Transrail in Dutch livery too.

Fingers crossed…..

Edited by Going2theDogs
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Going2theDogs said:

Hi All,

Without getting to far ahead of ourselves, looking at the success of these loco’s I would of thought a second run would be inevitable.

Agree on ‘Wheatley’ 56,001 in Construction sub-sector livery plus a Dutch variant, a Transrail TG variant & a Transrail in Dutch livery too.

Fingers crossed…..

With little upgrades, such as resized speaker socket because of naughty ESU 🙂

3 hours ago, 97403_Ixion said:

With you on Oystermouth in BR blue, though Hornby did a railfreight grey version but blue is my preference.

Also, 56001 'Whatley' in pristine Construction Sector grey please (first one I saw in that livery!).

I got 023 to renumber 001..... so yes it will be in next batch LOL 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, 97403_Ixion said:

56001. [FBR14-007]

Good call about 56001. 

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

For the second run I’m hoping/looking forward to seeing 56301 in ex Fastline livery as seen on the mainline in 2024. This would go well with 56091 (in my possession) and 60029 (on order).

I would love to be weathering it into its current condition. Paints are ready and waiting.

Edited by Andy7
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, zr2498 said:

It goes to show how each of the different diesel engines and ancillary sounds are best represented by tailored decoder sound files / speaker set ups. It is not a case of one size fits all. Clearly the new ESU passive radiator speaker suits the 56, whereas when watching a video sound comparison of Accurascale 37s by Richard of R & R, the EM1 / Accurathrash came out better than the new ESU speaker. I am still debating the need to remove the sugar cube on the ACC 37 as I needed to reduce volume anyway to best match my room size.

Speaker technology has really come on in recent years, and now with ESU facility for treble and base tuning we are getting HiFi on wheels.

I did some similar experiments with the AS class 37s combining different speakers with different sound projects as well as the original factory sounds and speakers. At present I have sound projects from four sources in six locomotives and only two types of speaker (there was a third speaker combination with twin speakers in series, but I swapped that out). In general I found that the original factory sound seemed best with the original AS speakers, and seeing as Cavalex appear to have done their own experiments, I'm sure that their sound and speaker combination will work best in the 56. I am still awaiting delivery of my 56 120, and may tinker with a few settings, but it is most likely I'll stick with the factory sound and speaker.

Edited by SRman
Typo
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, RBE said:

Which is ridiculous as it literally still pulls like a train. Reading his description it looks like it has the dislodged tower cover issue. Instead of querying it though just decided it was the A1A drive causing the issue. 🙄

I'm with you on this. The A1A drive can be a great benefit on rough tracks with poor tracklaying. At risk of sending this off on another tangent, I have quite a few Heljan Co-Co models that have the A1A-A1A drive, and these will all haul greater loads than many other manufacturers' 6-wheel drive locos. The only problems I have had with those are the early releases had horrible brass wheels that tarnished while you looked at them (swapped out for better wheel sets later on), and human error in getting the floating centre axles onto the track (I have to put my glasses on to see what I am doing!). With no weight on those centre axles, all the traction forces go through the outer driving wheels with beneficial effects on the tractive efforts.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Just for information. I have just received the sound decoder from Road and Rails fitted with the Cavalex profile. I could not get the fans to work, even after I set the DIP switches, so eventually I read the manual. If I read it right, there are no functions to switch the fans on, only to switch them off. The fans are controlled by the running of the loco, so effectively no user control other than to switch them off. So there isn't a fault with the decoder, it is meant to work like that.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, atom3624 said:

How well made and solid it is - nothing falling off, nothing 'found' in boxes on arrival.

I think this is often overlooked - they have come 000's of miles with all the transhipment that involves too, not simply from factory in Kent for example as many things once did,

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ColinB said:

Just for information. I have just received the sound decoder from Road and Rails fitted with the Cavalex profile. I could not get the fans to work, even after I set the DIP switches, so eventually I read the manual. If I read it right, there are no functions to switch the fans on, only to switch them off. The fans are controlled by the running of the loco, so effectively no user control other than to switch them off. So there isn't a fault with the decoder, it is meant to work like that.

It is certainly like this with a factory fitted sound model: The fans spool up independently from each other according to settings determined by the manufacturers, but can be individually isolated with functions.

Seeing as we're making suggestions for run 2, I'll throw my suggestions in:

- Transrail Dutch

- 56081 in rail freight grey red stripe when it was super shunter at Dove Holes

- Debranded Fastine

- 56311 in DCR grey

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ColinB said:

No, on sound the fans are completely automatic and respond to simulate engine heating under load. The function just deactivates them if that's what you want to do. 

• Informative/Useful 1

On 01/02/2024 at 21:36, James Makin said:

Thanks ever so much Cav! I may well fit sound at a later date, for now doing the economy option! I’ve just put in an order at DC Kits for the 59619s, and look forward to getting the beasties going! 

Cheers,

James

These need to be se up of course.  Charlie DCKits-Legomanbiffo

• Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, RBE said:

No, on sound the fans are completely automatic and respond to simulate engine heating under load. The function just deactivates them if that's what you want to do. 

Hate to say it but isn't that what I said "The fans are controlled by the running of the loco". Ok I could have gone into the detail that is given in the manual but I was pointing out that is no function to switch them on. In my case where I like to statically toggle the functions to check that the outputs are working and they were all set up properly, it was impossible to do.

Finally got round to having a play with my DCC fitted one from rails, full lighting control and each fan on a separate function.

IMG_2697.jpeg.5670b3a58f5917edda6c7a4c15781c46.jpeg

( YouTube video as file is too large to attach!) 

The noise isn’t the loco as each fan stops and starts it is my iPad running WiThrottle as I activate each function. 

Run all my 4 in today and each one is like a Rolls Royce!! 

• Like 3

Hi All 

Finally got my hands on my 56019 late last week after a bit of a mare with it arriving. 

It is simple superb! 

One quick question and I feel I may already know the answer to this, having seen a photo of a factory fitted sound one, the screw holes on chassis are for the Speaker retaining bars. 

Now I'm fitted my own sound to the loco with the ESU Speaker that comes in the sound fitted ones and just wondered if the retaining bars for the speakers will be available as a spare?

Great job though guys on the loco. 

Mark 

I've just bought a DCC ready version and understand there are issues with the lighting when using other decoders. I've fitted mine with the Hattons decoder that came with their 66. At present I have headlight and marker lights working but no tail lights, fans or cab lights. Given the extra lighting functions the Hattons 66 had am I likely to be able to get the remaining functions working and if so could anyone offer any advice on how to go about setting it up?

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, Midnight-Freight said:

I've just bought a DCC ready version and understand there are issues with the lighting when using other decoders. I've fitted mine with the Hattons decoder that came with their 66. At present I have headlight and marker lights working but no tail lights, fans or cab lights. Given the extra lighting functions the Hattons 66 had am I likely to be able to get the remaining functions working and if so could anyone offer any advice on how to go about setting it up?

The Hatton's 66 uses a different type of 21pin decoder from almost every other one (The only other model I can think of that needs the MKL version of the decoder is one of the O gauge Dapol 08's iirc).

Do you mean an actual Hattons branded decoder from a DCC fitted (but not sound) version or one from a DCC sound version?