The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Le Tour 2021

EddieB

Well even if we’re restricted as far as crossing the Channel, at least we can enjoy the beautiful French landscapes over the next three weeks.

Once again, a fascinating race in prospect.  Going with the majority, I think it will be between the two Slovenians, but this time I’d go with Roglic - I can’t see him breaking up as he did last year (and the final time trial is on the flat).  Roglic has the better supporting cast, but then so do Ineos with several riders who could be in contention (Carapaz, Thomas, Porte).  I hope to see another team represented on the final podium.

With Sam Bennett dropping out, it seems the Green Jersey will be going to Sagan (if he doesn’t get disqualified again), but a wonderful opportunity for Cavendish to pick up one or two stage wins.

• Like 6

The significance of todays stage, should not be lost to any cycling fan.

Van Der Poel is a formidable talent. His grandad would be very proud - allez Pou-Pou!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, duncan said:

Shouldn't they be looking where they are going ?  

I take it you were not watching ? A spectator ignores the approaching peloton and holds out a piece of cardboard for the departing TV motorbikes to see, causing the next rider at that side of the road to hit it (with nowhere on the road to go) and come down, bringing down several other riders. It was one of those other riders who had to withdraw.

You sound as if you have never cycled in a bunch.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

10 hours ago, zarniwhoop said:

Also, good to see the metre-gauge train just before the intermediate sprint.

Indeed - it was fascinating to see the helicopter view of the "official photographers" dismounted and gathered around the steam loco, seemingly having taken a diversion from the race! 

Well yesterday's stage was predicted to be a long and fairly routine race, the GC contenders holding station and marking each other before the real tests were due to start (today).  Anything but!

So while one Slovenian has almost dropped out of contention, another pops up to win the stage.  Where do they keep finding such talent?

Meanwhile Mark Cavendish continues to accumulate points over his rivals - can he stay in green through the mountains?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, EddieB said:

A flat stage today, but at least it looks dry.  Brightened up by a glimpse of the railway roundhouse at Chambery - happy memories!

Thunder just started here, so don't count the chickens just yet.

[45km from the end of the stage.]

• Agree 1

The perfect lead out produces the perfect result...

Squeaky bum time mind, he must get over the mountains. 

The suspense and anxiety is palpable 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

Thunder just started here, so don't count the chickens just yet.

[45km from the end of the stage.]

Glad it missed the race.

I missed the race too because the amount of rain interrupted the signal but I did get to see the highlights and those dark forbidding clouds during the final few kilometres - that was us!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Spent many happy holidays cycling out from St Nazaire which they passed through yesterday. Always think it's a shame they regularly pass by the Vercours but usually on the valley roads and not the many climbs.

• RMweb Premium

Road quality and road surface quality is a significant issue and one reason why the Vercors plateau tends to be avoided.  

Bear in mind that several roads have been closed - temporarily or permanently - due to rock falls onto the road.

20 hours ago, iak said:

The perfect lead out produces the perfect result...

Squeaky bum time mind, he must get over the mountains. 

The suspense and anxiety is palpable 

2 riders outside the cut-off time today - but not Cav (seven minutes inside).

He’s wily, and has a great team around him - for all stages, not just for (textbook) lead-outs.

• Like 3